Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 698 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodtime racing continues here in Pa. It's cold and snowy outside but the racing is hot every Sunday at noon at the 4H building at the McKean County Fairgrounds in Smethport Pa.
This weeks results:
Racers Edge R/C Racing & Hobbies - DECEMBER 1, 2002

-- BuRP - A MAIN --
pos car laps time name id avg.mph
1 3 31 5:04.69 Don Weimer 20 9.57
2 8 31 5:07.49 Kim Fortner 9 9.48
3 2 29 5:08.91 Chris Burrows 16 8.83
4 5 29 5:10.82 Rick Morgan 22 8.77
5 7 27 5:07.18 Johna Simar 25 8.27
6 9 26 5:00.53 Joy Fortner 11 8.13
7 4 21 5:10.67 Barb Morgan 23 6.36

Don's getting tired of 2nd and he's really coming on strong. He and I had a real dog fight to the finish. He's pretty smooth, he knows how to go fast. Go slow - right Bud?
So far 3 of us are in the 30+ lap club, Me, Don, & Chris. Rick is SO close! Johna found out what a new motor can do, now she has to keep it on the carpet!

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alittle track background

The track at Racers Edge is a carpet road course, about 138 feet in length. We run clockwise starting at the lower righthand corner with the finish line about 3/4 of the way down the back straight stretch. A good line thru the 3 180 degree turns is the only way to make good time and you don't want to hug the inside on the backstretch or you won't be able to see your mini racer, but you'll probably hear it when it thumps into the wooden center section. :D
For more info, the website is here:
http://www.racersedgerc.com

·
Registered
100 Posts
2slow00,

It's only about 2.5hrs away, we made it out there for the outside races, a couple of time, you guys (including BUD) should make an appearance here. It would be a blast to have all of you and us on the track for a great BRP battle. Maybe we could even talk our cook into whipping up a great big bowl of chili for you guys mmmmmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Kanesurfguru, I would like to visit but I have to rely on some else to drive. Pretty sad I can race BRP cars but I can't see well enough to drive on the road. The chili sound good. Come back to BRP world headquarters next summer and I'll cook the dogs.:hat:

·
Registered
100 Posts
2slow00

You drive a hard bargain, and you make a mean dog. I'm sure going to try and make it out again, you guys were a blast, you made us feel right at home, except for the few PA jokes ;)

Maybe you guys could get enough interest to come to our little track to hire a bus, that would be the way to go, you could party all the way here and home.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the invite...not!

Great little thread ya' got here! Had to track & follow KSG to find it though!:lol:

K1m's being modest though, he's been dominating the class for the last four weeks! I believe I had better luck negotiating traffic that day (12/1) which is half of the "go fast" approach.;) Rick may be "so close" but no one is out of ear-shot of KSG's revs!

L8R

Don

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
2slow00:

I'm gonna try a road trip to Toledo; if that works out we may have to talk about showing these guys (wrecks, that is). Let's see, we'd have to leave Cuyahoga Falls about 8:00, which means I'd have to pull out by 6:45. Sunday morning? Well, maybe.

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2slowoo & Nil: Hope to share a drivers stand with you one of these days. Snookie's chili is the best!

Well, I managed to shoe horn a Big Block motor (Watt Age 370) into my Fun Won. It's a tight fit, but thanks to Bud's conversion kit #352, it went pretty smooth. This motor runs in reverse rotation than a 16d, so the top pod plate has to be flipped and the axle goes in the other way, so the spur gear is on the right. Other than that, the addition of 2 spacers to the damper post, and a short spring on the top is all that needs done. I've decided to gear it 52/7, and I took Bud's advise and filed off some of the splines on the motor shaft before pressing the pinion on. One thing that I had to do was solder some motor leads onto the Big Block, because there isn't room to solder once the motor is bolted in, and my ESC wires weren't long enough to solder them on first.

I don't plan to race my Mini Mod tomorrow, I'm going to give the SC18 another try since the carpet has smoothed out alot. But I'm going to take a few laps with the Mod during practice and I may be able to get some lap times for comparison next week.
Don't know how it'll handle, but it sounds like it has some serious revs. :devil:

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
What happened to ya bunch of pansies?? Ya'all left Johna, Mom, and Myself to battle it out in the main since the only micro there was a no go too. Got my first 30 lap run of the season and Johna and I had ourselves a pretty good battle. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Outstanding!

Glad you guys had a great race! The day was getting a tad too long. Had to get home & to bed.

Don

·
Registered
689 Posts
lol

man bud can i use that line "handles like a chevette with a 454" i love it its outragious i laughed for 10 min:lol:

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big Block/Fun Won

I'd say Bud's description is pretty close, too. The first time I squeezed the trigger, "Da Wedge" literally roared to life! I don't think my spur gear liked turning the other way by the sound of it. But after a check of the gear mesh, it quieted down and I was VERY pleased with the speeds I could reach on the oval track during open practice. I was afraid it would be nearly out of control, but it just felt alot faster with alittle push. Later when I tried it on the road course, I noticed that my car tended to carry alot more speed into the corners after I let off the throttle. Even to the point of having to tap the brakes to keep from over shooting the turns. In the pits I noticed that the amount of time the motor runs after letting off the throttle is probably twice what it is with the 16d motor. The Big Block seemed to run cooler also and run time doesn't seem to be a factor either. Another point worth mentioning I think is the standard motor mounting screws that came with the conversion kit that allow you to tighten the motor right down without binding it up at all.

If your track allows "mod" motors, or if you just want some ballistic speed to play with, you might want to try one. Keep in mind that Orion calls it a "Big Block"($30+),another name is "Speed 300" ($20+), Watt Age sells them as "370" ($10), but they're basicly the same Mabuchi motor with different packaging.

·
Lifetime Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bud: You bet!! A couple of times I miss judged a turn and launched my Fun Won over the PVC (much to my audience's pleasure). I'm planning on doing some more testing Tuesday (practice nite)with "Da Wedge". I think I can get the hang of all that power, but for now it's alittle out of control - GOTTA LOVE IT!!

I ran the SC18 in the races this week, but had some trouble with traction rolls. I was running stock tires, but I have the fronts we ran at BRP World Headquarters (purple?). I have a TON of steering with the SC18, I think steering rate is on 7. Maybe I should try some orange fronts?

Is anyone running spacers under the front plate to increase caster? Lets see...more caster, less turn into turn - more turn coming out, right?

1 - 20 of 698 Posts