Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built a 10' x 20' 3' wide oval track in my basement in Rindge, NH for racing Mini-Z/xMod's.

After battling with optical solutions for awhile, and being frightened off by the prohibitive cost of active transponder based solutions, I decided to give RFID a try. I've got a decent solution about fully baked and will post updates when completed.

The solution is a small OEM RFID reader with light weight, low cost (<$1) RFID tags smaller than a quarter that can be taped to the inside roof of the car. This, coupled with a MS Windows VB application that interfaces with the reader and provides a kiosk like display of race status (similar to all the other apps that do this) should provide an economical solution.

The RFID reader is actually cheaper than optical solutions and I believe more accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RFID Update

I've been dragging ass on the VB app, it's about 75% done. I might finish this weekend.

I've also been noodling with antenna design/construction trying to get it as directional as possible (ie. a thin plane the width of the track right above the starting line).

I'll follow up in a few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts