Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dave has spent a ton of time programming RC. It has features for the hard core racer and for guys that just want to keep track for fun.
It does have fuel management, supports usb and if you download it it has a demo mode, so you can run simulated races. I think he is setting it up so it will run a light tree on the track like the F1, 1-1 system not sure about drag racing timing.
Since it is free, you can try it out. If you like it, Dave asks for a donation to a charity.
I have dealt with him alot. He's a pretty good guy.
And yes Swampergene was involved in the programming.
Cheers Ted

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Here's a link to Daves video's,look on the side there's lots of them:thumbsup:
Well that didn't work quite right, if you punch in Race Cordinator on Youtube it should give a bunch of Daves video's about it's features

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
SwamperGene did have a lot to do with this and it works great. I have both systems in my comp LT2000 and RC. I will be using RC all the time, just as soon as SwamperGene gets off his butt and stops using work as an excuse for not helping me finish my new track tables. LOL Just kiddidg, it works really good.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I already have the solid state relay, and my LPT port should be configured & wired just like the Trakmate setup for the sensors, so it should be as simple as learning how to use the new software

Boosted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys just thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. I'm the author of Race Coordinator. There were/are many contributors for sure, but Gene needs to be specifically called out because with out him the initial version wouldn't have made it.

There is currently a new beta version available (v1.3.1.11) that has lots of new bells and whistles like fuel support and game port support (which in turn provides support for the Carlson USB Sensor Trak). I'll be officially releasing this beta soon. There's just so much in it I'm giving plenty of time for user feedback. I haven't touched the code for it in a week or two so it seems pretty solid now. I have to say that originally I wasn't a big fan of fuel races, but it does make for a fun change of pace. If you setup the fuel parameters right it also introduces a fair amount of strategy to the racing.

I'm always happy to answer questions, take suggestions, or whatever when it comes to RC. All you gots to do is say something (email is usually the best way to contact me but I try to patrol the forums as much as I can).

-Dave

PS: Anybody seen or heard from Gene lately? I haven't heard from him in forever. He's probably mad at me for putting fuel support into RC :)

Sorry Gene it just slipped out!!!

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
Dave,

I look forward to downloading and trying out your program. From what I've heard from Gene,
it sounds like it has a lot of new features. Any add ons that would make drag racing possible?

PS, havent seen Gene on here in a while. His last appearance here was back in March.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What exactly do you need?

If you had two sensors for each lane, one at the start and one at the end, you could configure a race in RC to end after 1 "lap". The start line would provide reaction time and the end line would provide the end "lap" time. The two sensors from RC's point of view would have to look like the same sensor (is that wiring them in parallel???). Basically they'd have to go to the same parallel port pin.

You could also probably use some of RC's advanced race options to create a step ladder type of format... I'm thinking that heats run in pairs of two, with the winner advancing and the loser out. Every time you run through the field half the drivers are eliminated until there are just two left then you have the finals and you're all done.

Hmmmm, thinking about it, it might be really interesting to see how far the current version of RC can get you. Once I better understand how you run your drag races I'd be willing to try and set it up for you.

-Dave

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
You are correct on the parallel wiring. These guys built a drag strip and use Slot Race Manager for their software.

You may have heard of SRM. It's absolutely the best DOS based race program I've seen
More info about that here... http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=251075&highlight=srm

You can run a tree with SRM, but DOS has its limitations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's what I see in that video as drag racing requirements:
  1. Christmas tree light bridge
  2. Reaction time sensor at start
  3. Finish time sensor at the end

Is there anything else?

RC can easily do what I've listed assuming what you already confirmed that the two sensors for each lane are wired to the same parallel port pin so from the RMS perspective the same sensor is tripped each time. The other possible issue in RC is the Christmas tree light sequence. My support for the start sequence lights is VERY specific to my personal setup. I've actually asked for input on how to make it more "standard" but haven't gotten any so I assume there is little to no need. I'd be happy to make changes as needed here.

What I want to do though is take this one step further. Let's take a simple case where you have 4 drivers in your drag race. D1 and D2 race with the winner moving on. D3 and D4 race again with the winner moving on. Then there's one last race with the two winners for an overall winner. RC can absolutely do this now. In fact, it should be able to do it for any number of racers. AND in RC you can even do a qualifier in which all the racers race alone to set a qualifying time which gives them their seeding... Basically all of this is in RC now. The only real question I haven't thought about for this extended example is if the driver pairings will work the way you'd want based on seeding (highest seed racing the lowest seed)...

If all of this sounds right I'll setup things and do a video of it running in demo mode if it would help. The only thing you won't see is the light bridge but like I said, we can talk about that as I have support in there for that now, but it may not be what you want...

-Dave

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here's what I see in that video as drag racing requirements:

The only thing you won't see is the light bridge but like I said, we can talk about that as I have support in there for that now, but it may not be what you want...

-Dave
Can you make a christmas tree start that works with the program come up on your computer monitor instead of a actual christmas tree on the track?

http://slotters.weebly.com/race-coordinator.html

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
Hey Dave,

Yes, SRM and RC look great for heads up racing, with similar setups, but lets get more specific.
My race history has been in stock car and road racing, so I'm by no means an expert on drag racing.
Anyone whos more knowledgeable, feel free to chime in, here's my best shot.

Drag racing would require this kind of sensory...
A pre stage light
A stage light
A red light for false starts
A start line sensor
A 60ft trap sensor
A finish line sensor
A win light going to the lane that wins.

There are two types of starting lights - Pro Stock and Regular
Pro Stock has all three lights flash simultaneously and then the greens. .400 reaction time is perfect.
Regular has the yellow lights count down to green. .500 reaction time is perfect.

All of this can probably be worked out in some way or another with your current program.
Here's where there is a big difference, bracket racing and break out times.
One huge draw to drag racing is that you can take your street car, and race it against some guys gasser,
and have a fair race. This is done through presetting your 'dial in' time. So, in 1:1 times,
you can run a 14 second car against an 8 second car and meet at the finish line.
If either car runs faster than their preset 'dial in', then they 'break out' and lose the race.
In our little world, you could run a stock Tjet against a vastly superior Tyco 440x2.
This one option opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
The ability to preset a break out time also allows you to set classes, let's say a 1 second class,
a 2 second class, a .5 second class, and then all the Tjets.
Then you could say, "Okay, we're gonna run a Tyco pro stock class, and we're gonna set the
break out at .0825 ." So, you have to run over that dial in.

RC has a lot of usable features for drag racing, but only for heads up racing.
My thought is it may be better to use your current platform and modify it specifically for
drag racing and release it as a separate program. It may be less confusing to the end user that way.
There is only a few drag race specific programs out there, and none that are free, as far as I know.

Just puttin that out on the table. I'm still glad to see a more modern road race program out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I put together a 10 minute demo on how RC supports drag racing right now. The problem is that when I post it up on YouTube I'm not getting audio. Anytime I transcode the video myself I also lose the audio... I blame the mac I did the video on.

The video showed something a bit different than what you're talking about anyway. You are talking about the single drag race between two drivers which RC supports on a basic level but it sounds like for better slot car drag racing you need a few more options and cool guy things like different LED support.

What I showed was how you could have 8 drivers in a single drag race which runs as a 3 round ladder format. The winner being the winner of the finals round. Of course you could run it with any number of drivers for the ladder, but I demoed 8.

Hmmmm, if I added in the drag racing options it would almost certainly be another application altogether. Not only don't I want to muddy the current race options in RC with the drag racing stuff, I'd cut out of the drag racing program all the things that aren't needed...

I'll think about it. If you're willing to work with me on it that is. Once the v1.4 version goes official, and the commercial product I'm working on is finalized (almost there) a may have some spare time.

If there's interest, email me and let me know you're willing to answer questions and possibly test. I think something can be put together pretty fast once I get my head straight on it. No promises though.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts