Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy detailing HO bodies to make them look closer to the way the actual race cars looked, and making different raced-versions out of duplicate bodies.
I don't see much of that being done in HO.

I was wondering why there seems to be a different emphasis among HO customizers than among 1:32 enthusiasts. I scan the 1:32 news and forums and the main emphasis is on realistic looking race cars. Those people complain if the smallest detail is missing or misplaced. And the variety of up-to-date cars and liveries they have available is mind-boggling.

Sure, HO is billed more as a toy and an introduction to the larger scales, but that shouldn't stop HO from having realistic looking race cars. The basic body shapes we have are pretty acceptable, but I find they often lack that final detailing step, and not many people seem to take it from there and complete the detailing. Some recent examples are the Life-Like COT cars with their missing contingency logos, and the incomplete helmet painting on the AFX Champ cars.

Racemasters has stepped up in recent years to make classic realistic bodies; certainly some of the very best out there. And I have high hopes for realistic liveries on the lowered 962 body and the new LeMans racers. I applaud them for adding the 'Scuderia' logos on the new #59 red Cobra coupe when they just changed over to the 'clear' version.
The Micro Scalextric cars modelled after real racers are also quite well done.

I realize that licensing and extra painting steps cost more, so that's one reason for lack of realism sometimes.

Lack of interest by some manufacturers plays a roll; some companies could care less about realism.

Proportions also comes into play. Trying to stuff a given chassis under every body type a company makes sometimes throws out the rules of good proportion, resulting in an unsatisfactory result.

And sometimes the modellers just get the details wrong, like on some of the recent AW releases.

So, is there a different mindset between HO and 1:32 enthusiasts when it comes to realism, and if so why is that?

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
As an HO guy primarily, I'd love to have ultra realistic bods & paint jobs, but I realize there are limitations in the scale so I live with it from the manufacturers. I can always add those details myself later.

I think the big driving factor is keeping the cost of a complete HO car down around $15-$25. Any higher than that and you start tripping into the larger scale price point.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Is this fact or your opinion? I sold my 4 lane 1/32 to go ho & never looked back! : )

Sure, HO is billed more as a toy and an introduction to the larger scales...:)

Bob...says you...zilla

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hi GTP Guy,

It's hard to collect the right words to answer this. However , here goes , I'll try.

I race all 4 scales of slot cars. I guess that makes me a cross racer. I will admit lately I've been cutting my bigger scale racing a little so I can save on the fuel bill traveling. I've been on lay off status for 1 year now. Scarifices had to be made.

Hmmmmmm , that still doesn't answer you butttttt , Slot cars are slot cars. HO slot cars are a different game though. They're still slot cars but at the same time non-characteristic of they're bigger cousins. The same goes as far as detail . The scale is so small that not all the detail can be included and still be cost effective for the average HO racer or hobbiest. For instance , can you imagine an HO tachometer ? How would you ever see it ? I'm just using that as an example.

Sure we all like to have nice looking cars. There's just a limit that you can go without putting $$$$ and time in it and not realizing the results.

No offence intended but your notion that HO cars are billed as toys opposed to the other scales just isn't on the mark. There are some ultra serious HO racers and race cars out there. Now if your strictly a 1/32nd scale racer , then just looking at an HO car will leave a lot of questions in your mind. Like it did as to detailing . I'm not exagerating when I say there are some magnet HO cars being raced that the owner has $150 and change invested in. I don't race them however. I do know that in my S/S T-Jets alone , I have $100 in a couple of them. That's a serious race car. Oh , it was once a toy . lol

I guess bottm line is that all slotcars are toys unless one desides to build a race car out of them. I hope this helps answer your question. I also hope I wasn't offending in my answer . It really was hard to answer without explaining the whole story.

Regards , Gonzo

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I was wondering why there seems to be a different emphasis among HO customizers than among 1:32 enthusiasts. I scan the 1:32 news and forums ... Those people complain if the smallest detail is missing or misplaced.
Sounds like a pretty fair answer right there ...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
GTP, you've got to realize what some of these guys are pointing out: HO scale is MUCH smaller and packaging is gonna be a bit of an issue. Look at the chassis from one of the larger scales, even 1/43: The motor is just a small component in relation to the rest of the chassis, where in HO its basically wheels strapped to a motor. Like some have pointed out, smaller details would be just a speck at HO scale. Yet look at the Tomys. They are masterpieces of realism. Other manufacturers are hit and miss. Tyco's Dodge vans are spot on, yet the AC Cobras have to take a few liberties in translating that bodystyle. AFX manages to nail down most bodies to a T, and yet some such as the AMC Javelin actually manage to be a bit more attractive than the real thing. Lifelike is forced to cram everything onto a short wheelbase and wide tab chassis while AutoWorld is the most hit-and-miss of all.

As to why HO has the most customs, lets face it: HO has the most variety of bodystyles bar none. In 1/32 only fairly well known makes and models seem to be available. Mustang, Porsche, or F1 fans can find something they like but if you like AMCs, Jeeps, or classic imports then youre pretty limited. If you want to figure in the resin casters, then you have to consider that diecast bodystyles in approximately 1/64 scale are near limitless as opposed to 1/32. 1/43 die casts are near non existant and anything in 1/24 scale would be too fragile to use. Sure you can adapt plastic model kits but how durable would they be?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
:thumbsup:I like HO because you can have 1000 cars in the space you would have for far fewer 1/24 & 1/32.HO is a Lot easier to store.

Neal:dude:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts