Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned in another thread.
I asked Jamie at R2 on the blog about this.

"I know this is off topic, but Does MPC own the Space 1999 molds?

With all the re-release of the kits from my past it would be great to see the Eagle and the Hawk kits again."
__

"Mach7- As we say, anything is a possibility…"

Maybe if we all want it, we should tell them. :thumbsup:
I am assuming they have the MPC molds.
As much as I'd love to see these kits on shelves again, I'd prefer a more accurate styrene Eagle. Something at least as accurate as the Product Enterprise replicas.

Thoughts? Would a reworking of the MPC molds make a more accurate Eagle, or is it so far off that starting over would be best?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I built a few in back in the day, and I have one in my build pile.

It's not a bad kit. The big thing it needs is to have the 2 service modules opened up. If memory serves, I believe the landing gear could use some work.

But out of the box it builds a nice looking kit.

R2 could rework the landing gear, and maybe sell a parts pack to fix the service modules, supply parts for the extended mission module, add the external boosters, and supply parts to build a crane/winch mission module used to move the nuclear waste containers.

That would give them a lot of bang for the buck. Sell the repop of the original for $30-35, and sell the parts pack for maybe $20-25. That would limit the new tooling costs and make everybody happy!

The Hawk looks great, but I think that kit has a bunch of issues.
But I would buy 2-3 if they reissue it.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, opening up the pods was a biggie. I did that on an MPC a long time ago and it took forever. Back before I had a Dremel. :(

I think the basic shapes are off, but not really bad. I have an MPC on the shelf next to my Product Enterprise Eagle. You can certainly see the differences in contours and detail. I like the idea of reissuing it with some upgrades. The engine section could use some work too.

I must have built at least 6 of these over the years. You can see one of them here in glorious Polaroid quality.:p

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A completely new tool would be the way to go. Even the product enterprise eagles have thier problems. It would be great to see a half size 22" 'er come to fruition (in styrene), if done with respect to the original('s).
All of the main craft from the exeptional Gerry Anderson show UFO would be my personal grail kits, but a nice Eagle would be welcome.:)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
jheilman, I love the old photos! especially the freddy sparks!

Hunch,

I agree with everything you say but that won't happen.

Look at what we had to go through to get the big TOS Enterprise to be ok'ed, and that is from TOS Trek. A known large fan base that always buys trek stuff.
As much as I love the 1st season of Space 1999 and UFO, the interest is just not there.

I think the best we can hope for is a re-pop and parts pack set.

That would be ok for me, but I'm sure others might feel different.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
As much as I would like to see the Eagle reissued let's be realistic here people, in order for the Eagle to be reissued R2 has to have the licensing from Gerry Anderson and I doubt we will se a parts pack for a reissue of the Eagle.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Mentioned in another thread.

As much as I'd love to see these kits on shelves again, I'd prefer a more accurate styrene Eagle. Something at least as accurate as the Product Enterprise replicas.

Thoughts? Would a reworking of the MPC molds make a more accurate Eagle, or is it so far off that starting over would be best?
Developing an "accurate" Eagle would, as far as I'm concerned, be easier to do with all-new tooling.

The CAD word would be relatively simple... far more so than, say, the TOS 1701. Most of what's present in the Eagle is made up of flat surfaces, cylindrical surfaces, or revolved surfaces. Only the "command module" would be difficult at all, and it's not THAT difficult.

But to get an accurate Eagle from the MPC tooling would mean totally reworking every single part. Sometimes it just makes more sense to start over... it's less labor, and the tooling would be "virginal" when you start producing off of it.

I'd love to see a "mass market," accurate Eagle. And a Hawk. And (from a separate but semi-related tele-movie) the Antares. There's a lot of Anderson (non-super-marionation) stuff which was excellent for the day and still stands up, design-wise, today. While these can be found in garage-kit form today, in extremely high-quality versions... those cost far more than I'm willing to pay.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It should be noted that the Eagle was not an MPC kit.

It was an Airfix kit reboxed by MPC for the American market. This was very common during the MPC era. They reboxed a great many Airfix kits including a large number of aircraft kits. MPC reboxed everything from Airfix's 1/72 B-29 to their big 1/24 scale planes like the P-51.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have one of the original repops from the late 90s still in the box. Once I got the PE Eagle, I didn't need to build it since I already had a more accurate display model. If they got the specs from PE (if they were willing), there's already a template for a more accurate kit.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't be that harsh. It's inaccurate, but no more so than the AMT TOS Enterprise. And, it was the only game in town except for expensive resin kits. I do love my PE replica though.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
I would prefer that if R2 does issue an Eagle kit it would be a retool instead of a re-issue, perhaps in the 16 to 18 inch range. The old Airfix/MPC kit was good but it has way to many issues to be made accurate. The shape of the nose, service module cages,the passenger pod, the four side pods, the landing gear, the "backbone" the engine tanks and engines are all off to some degree. With a lot of work it can be made into a good representation of the Eagle but I would probably pass on just a re-issue.
The Hawk is far more accurate than the Eagle and requires only some minor dressing up to make a decent replica. I would love to see a re-issue of the Hawk since it was ignored when the Space:1999 kits were re-issued in 1999.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Yeah, I just don't think a completely new kit is a possibility. Hope I'm wrong.
Tooling it would be almost trivial, compared to most other kits out there. But the part count would be pretty high, in order to do it right. Lots and lots of very, very simple parts.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
That tells me that Round 2 already has the rights.
I hope they do, but fear it might have expired.

Jamie is not saying if they have the tooling.

I would think a re-pop would be the first step. If it sells then maybe.

·
Banned
718 Posts
I hope they do, but fear it might have expired.

Jamie is not saying if they have the tooling.

I would think a re-pop would be the first step. If it sells then maybe.
I think that the original tooling was pretty worn-out, anyway. The later shots off that tooling showed pretty significant "mismatch" between the tool halves, as I recall. The tool would need to be reworked and fixed up. And it would still be the dramatically "inadequate" kit that's always been out there.

An Eagle model without the "cages?" I'd never buy one again. With the soft, squishy detail of the MPC/Airfix kit? Not really acceptable to me. I can be done better, and it should be done better.

No, for me, it has to be a fully new tool. I have zero interest in a repop of the old kit, anymore than I have interest in a repop of the Galileo.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'll have to pull my '90s kit out and look at it.
I hope it's not that bad.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a big eagle.

I just don't think anyone would be interested in tooling a big kit that would
end up costing $100+ for a series with a limited fan base.

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
I'll have to pull my '90s kit out and look at it.
I hope it's not that bad.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE a big eagle.

I just don't think anyone would be interested in tooling a big kit that would
end up costing $100+ for a series with a limited fan base.
From what I remember about the 1999 reissue it was identical to the 1975 models except the color of the plastic, I don't remember any flaws that did not exist in the original issue. With A LOT of work, the Airfix/MPC kit can be made presentable:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts