Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on this forum for several weeks now, and I've noticed something different from the other HWS forum that I used to visit on a daily basis. I don't see a thread for when a collector performs a RAOK (random act of kindness) and sends cars to another collector who either can't afford them, can't find them in the stores, or started collecting too late to acquire them. No money changes hands, they just give them away, no questions asked.
I've been very lucky and have received cars from several other collectors around the country. I've also given cars to others all over the US and Canada. It's very cool when you can help out another collector by sending them something that they can't find in the stores, but your retailers have plenty of.
Availability across the US varies a lot from coast to coast, and Canada's retailers don't get the same things that we do either. I've sent a couple of Target red editions to another collector up in Alberta because Target went out of business up there, so they're not available.Same thing with the flying customs.
This isn't a place to brag about how many cars you've given away, it's a place to thank someone when they do this for you. I've gotten some very cool cars in the mail, and I've given away quite a few too. That's why this hobby is so cool, we're all very cool people.
Should we make this thread a permanent thing, or not?

Premium Member
Yes please make this a permanent thread.馃憤

Administrator
It has been more than a few years since we have had one of these. I think it still goes on by PM between a few members but not publicly anymore. But I did sticky it. 馃

Reactions: samace22

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been more than a few years since we have had one of these. I think it still goes on by PM between a few members but not publicly anymore. But I did sticky it. 馃
That's understandable, the only way I've even gotten to know a few other collectors was via PM, that's how I got in touch with them. I've sent cars to a couple of collectors on the east coast, and one up in Alberta, Canada. We live in N.W. Wash. state, so we cover quite a few miles.
I've had other collectors contact me after they've read my comments on-line and offer me free cars because they had more than they needed or were able to find them where they live. I've also gotten a couple of RLC castings that I've commented on, it's very frickn' cool.
I just shipped a package with 3 newer mainlines in it to another collector in N.H. today. He's a big FORD fan, and I was able to score 3 of them at wally-world earlier this week. He doesn't even know they're coming, I've gotten a couple of surprise packages in the mail also.
It's very cool to help someone when they can't find something when we have access to them. Whether we do it publicly or privately, it feels good to do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts