Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Does the Spindrift have a pilot seat and control console in the teardrop overhead bubble?
The Spindrift had a sensor platform under the bubble. No pilot's seat. Or did you already know that and are you asking the question rhetorically?

Looks like the guy used the control console from the Voyager kit and an extra Spindrift seat. The seat appears to be rather precariously balanced on top of that bulkhead. And how does the pilot (or observer, navigator, lucky passenger, whatever) get up there?

Also, who the hell are "Irvine Allen" and "Irvune Allen"?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. It was a serious question, but now I feel a little silly. If I would have given a little more thought....but thanks for the replies!! Kit bashing to an extreme, but you have to respect this person. SHE'S from the UK. YES! A WOMAN. I think it's kinda cool. Check out her site and try to forgive the "Irvune Allen" spelling mistake!! We need to be careful here in the colonies........:)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I must admit its clever, an A+ for originality and effort :thumbsup:

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
I don't know about the aforementioned "sensor platform," but the hero FX miniature featured the same pattern of circular brass tubing beneath the dome as found on the side "intakes" and rear thruster ports.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This modification was likely inspired by the Aurora re-release box art, which depicted a pilot/navigator/luck passenger sitting in the navigation dome. Fun idea!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
No. It was a serious question, but now I feel a little silly. If I would have given a little more thought....
No need to feel silly -- there are no dumb questions, except for the REALLY silly ones!
I don't know about the aforementioned "sensor platform," but the hero FX miniature featured the same pattern of circular brass tubing beneath the dome as found on the side "intakes" and rear thruster ports.
I always assumed the pattern under the dome was meant to be a sensor array. But in the Irwin Allen universe, I suppose it could be just about anything.

·
Registered
353 Posts
who cares!

Okay so I own up...its my Spindrift you lot are fussing over...I like to add details and the dome looked kinda empty...I was hoping that the changing lights would be more scenestealing...ah well...thats you men all over!.
Anyway glad I have that my model has got noticed...just don't say anything nasty about Serenity!:wave:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Okay so I own up...its my Spindrift you lot are fussing over...I like to add details and the dome looked kinda empty...I was hoping that the changing lights would be more scenestealing...ah well...thats you men all over!
Now that I've seen the video, hey, the lights are bitchin’! (As we Yanks say.) :thumbsup: The seat in the bubble is logical, if a bit redundant (does the ship need three pilots?) And the way you cut the removeable roof section to follow the paint stripe is a neat idea -- the roof sits much better when it's closed, and there's still a nice big opening to view that great interior.

Welcome to HobbyTalk! It's cool to see a woman who's into sci-fi modeling. How did you find out about this board? Have you been lurking?

(She looks a right lurker.)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love to see this artwork!

This modification was likely inspired by the Aurora re-release box art, which depicted a pilot/navigator/luck passenger sitting in the navigation dome. Fun idea!
Larva, Do you have this image anywhere? Now I gotta see it!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome!

Okay so I own up...its my Spindrift you lot are fussing over...I like to add details and the dome looked kinda empty...I was hoping that the changing lights would be more scenestealing...ah well...thats you men all over!.
Anyway glad I have that my model has got noticed...just don't say anything nasty about Serenity!:wave:
Is that really you, Stephanie?? I can't believe you are looking. This is so cool! Welcome to Hobby Talk!:)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Welcome to HobbyTalk! It's cool to see a woman who's into sci-fi modeling. How did you find out about this board? Have you been lurking?

(She looks a right lurker.)
I told our new member about this board!

I'm a member of a few online forums for my several hobbies, but IMHO this is about the most fun, helpful and informative bunch I've seen!

Welcome Aeryn43!!

Huzz

·
Registered
353 Posts
ok, so I haven't been lurking....(you'll get nothing from me copper..I aint talking right!)
A gentleman who looked at my site thought I may find this interesting...he was right!.
The bits under the dome are completely scratchbuilt, originally I was going to put a ladder of some sorts so the operator could get up, but In my haste to complete I forgot!...Did you notice that the kitchen area and Latrine hatches are open too?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't know a Stephanie?? but plain Stephanie is me!...owner of Small Visions..from the good old south coast of England

"This must be Thursday, never could get the hang of Thursday's!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you are on board with us. I took up sci-fi kits at age 46 (my wife says I'm a nerd) after being out of it since Aurora models were still in stores. I am getting ready to start my SECOND Polar Lights Spindrift, and stumbled upon your website. I was doing research to make a more accurate version. Hope to see you on Hobby Talk!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Yes welcome aboard! :wave: and yes the man is right....there are a few other Sci-Fi / Fantasy message boards out there but Hobby Talk still remains the friendliest and easy going....not so rivet counting and blah blah blah...well can't speak for the Star Trek guys...they are never satisfied LOL :p

I love your work on the ol' Aurora Spindy

Here is what I did with my 1/35 scale Lunar vacu-form Spindrift

http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/html_lib/giants-dioramas/00030.html

1 - 20 of 27 Posts