Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions -

What is the preferred base coat and secondary coat on PL's 1/350 NX-01? For discussion sake, let's call the color of the Aztek patterns the SECONDARY color, and the overall color of the ship the PRIMARY, even though I realize I would paint the aztek color first, then apply the masks and paint the body color.

Is one of the vinyl aztek dummy sets better than the other? Is one preferred overall because of accuracy, clean cuts, better instrux?

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still of the opinion that the best approach is just go with an overall color and do the aztecking with variations in flat and gloss coats. At least that's my plan.
OK, but are you using, or did you use commercially available vinyl masks? I'm really interested in using them for the exact outlines, and to save some time...

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
I haven't actually done anything along those lines yet, just planning ahead and putting forth my theory on aztecking on a model less than eight feet in length. For something small enough to fit on the typical shelf, that sort of detail would be all but invisible, only showing itself if the light hit it right, so variations in flat and gloss seems to be the way to go, with as little variation on actual color as possible.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I used Lou's (Aztek Dummy) vinyl masks on my 1/1000 NX-01 and loved them! Took a while to get them on the model, but the results were fantastic! I believe Lou recommended Model Master Metalizers in his instructions. I can't recall the colors but I think one is non-buff steel.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Here is a link to my buildup of that kit. I sold it to a collector not too long ago, and he said it would have a great future home. Maybe I'll tackle it's smaller version I have in the build pile....some day. LOL

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery12/bf_nx01.htm

Sincerely,
Scorp. :wave:

P.S. - I used the metalizer paints as well for mine. If I recall, I thinking used the steel, and aluminum colors. I just didn't buff them out to a shine, which gives the ship a plated look, like the show version envisioned. Hope the link helps.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Yea, they look great. Just don't buff it out. And make sure you use the metalizer sealer and let it dry a day or two between coats BEFORE putting any overlapping layers. It keeps the metalizer pristine, and protects for the next coat. Also, with the Dummy decals, I didn't put them on too tight. They tended to pull up an area here and there when I removed them. ( I actually had to contact the model company for a replacement upper hull due to a paint fiasco )

I sprayed the colors, and removed the masks after 7 to 10 minutes, to avoid rough edges from the metalizer, or pulling off sections adhering to the masks. The metalizer is beautiful, but very tempermental with masking. Practice on a scrap piece with the outlying mask leftovers to get a feel for time to leave on. Also, you might try making the masks less tacky by putting them on a surface and pulling off once or twice. I discussed this problem with Lou when I had the issue, and he stated he was going to try for a less "grippy" decal in the future. ( Lou is a great guy to work and deal with, BTW, and his mask kits are the shizzle. )

I put down multiple layers of metalizer, then sealer, then my contrasting metalizer, then sealer, then finishing up with my satin finish. Time consuming, but it protects your paints, and seals down your VERY thin decals, like the red deck plate markings, thrusters, etc...

Glad to be of help, and please post progress pics!

Sincerely,
Scorp. :wave:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Like Rob, I've used the Aztek Dummy masks with great results. Here are a couple of shots:

You can follow the builds at this link, and note that I lite both of my kits:
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album45
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album108

I also did another kit as a refit using decals instead. I don't know that one is any easier than the other but I like the results of both...

I didn't take as many pictures of this as I didn't light the kit.
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album144

I will be starting the larger kit soon and have both the Aztec Dummy maskes and decals. I just haven't decided which route I want to take yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.