Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten back into building model cars and have been thinking about getting a spray booth. I'm thinking about building one because I don't really want to spend the kind of money needed to buy one.
Has anybody built their own? What's a good size? What's the best material? Can you recommend the type of fan needed, and should I put a light in it?
Or, does anyone know a site that might list plans for the do-it-yourselfer?
Any help, suggestions, would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to start that way.

By the way, are you or lisfan going to the model show at Cape Cod Community College this Sunday? If you need info, let me know. I have a flyer with the time. If I get this car done, I'm planning on entering it. It'll be the first time I've done it.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Dadvball said:
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to start that way.
Good luck!

Dadvball said:
By the way, are you or lisfan going to the model show at Cape Cod Community College this Sunday? If you need info, let me know. I have a flyer with the time. If I get this car done, I'm planning on entering it. It'll be the first time I've done it.
:eek: Didn't know there was one! Yea, dish the info to my e-mail! Nighteagle is in RI himself- I'll let him know. Kinda short notice, but If I go I'll let you know. Thanks, dude! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
So what is the purpose of a spray booth?

1. To stop fumes etc from getting around the house?
  2. To keep airborne dust particles from settling on the paint job?
  3. All of the above?
If you have an exhaust with a filter, do you also have an air inlet? Would the inlet also need to be filtered to prevent dust from being drawn into the booth and spoiling the paint job?

Huzz

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
All the above.

Inlet?....As long as your not painting in a very dry, dirty and dusty invirorment OR on a cunstruction site you should not have to worry about stuff comming into your booth....unless your using a jet engine as your fan source? ;)

I whipe my booth down from top to bottom, on the sides, the counter etc with a very damp rag to remove loose dust each time before I paint.

You can also get problems from working in a place that is too dry.....dust, static on your plastic can attract particles and really make you hit the fridge for beer!

I'm thinking about a CO2 tank and train myself to use acrylics.....no fumes and very quiet!....pretty much no paint booth needed?

Hit it boys!

I!.....wanna build and paint all night......and putty every day!

That was the original version of the KISS song before the record company changed the lyrics!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
fluke said:
I'm thinking about a CO2 tank and train myself to use acrylics.....no fumes and very quiet!....pretty much no paint booth needed?
I've been doing that for years with an airbrush & compressor, but a couple of warnings. If you want a high gloss job, it's hard to beat spray cans and enamel. Maybe I just need more practice . . .

Second, some acrylics thin best with alcohol. If so, a spray booth is a good idea.

DISCLAIMER No paint is good for your lungs, so protect them. This is one of the major purposes of the spray booth not mentioned above. Get a mask.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Late on this thread. But it is unrelated to a point, but I attended the show at Cape Cod Community College. Would have been nice to run into Dadvball, lisfan, Prince of Styrene II, and Nighteagle at the show.

Oh, well. :freak:

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I paint in or right on the entrance of the booth and I would never let them dry in the booth! might be some SUFF floating around, I then set the painted items on top of the booth or on my hobby table.

In better weather I paint in the garage with the doors open.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
starmanmm, did you enter something or just went to look and maybe buy something?

I've gone to it for the past 4 years, and this year there seemed to be more model cars than ever. Also looked to be more planes than ever before. Some very nice work by lots of people in all the classes. My friend won 1st place in the competition class with his Pro Stock Camaro (hood was sitting on the roof to display the motor). He also owned the green Olds Grand Am converted to rear wheel drive as a Super Stocker, the Top Fuel Dragster, and the red Honda wagon in the Street Machine '49 & up class.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I am a member of the Cape Cod Club. The Camaro you speak of sounds like the car that I had judged at the show. Was it also with a green mustang and some old style stock cars? Cars is not my cup of tea, but I go where they send me!!

I did have an entry. It was the Hydralisk diorama scene that was next to Kong. If I knew that that was going to be there, I would not have entered it! :freak:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
His Grand Am was green. All three of his cars were on the black plastic bases, and all were together.

Yeah, the King Kong was pretty awesome, but yours wasn't too shabby either. I kinda felt the same way about my car, but being the first time it was a good experience and I learned a few things.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
starmanmm said:
I attended the show at Cape Cod Community College. Would have been nice to run into Dadvball, lisfan, Prince of Styrene II, and Nighteagle at the show.
Hey, I tried, but taking the Dutchess to see "Finding Nemo on Ice" wiped me out! :freak:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts