Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife doesn't like my hobby, I have been a collector for 3 years now. I really enjoy it and it's fun. I was only collecting Mustangs and then got into collecting other muscle cars. I have a huge collection now. I have them stored in big bins as my wife does not want me displaying them. The only time I get to enjoy them is when she's asleep then I go through my bins and just enjoy looking at them. This morning my wife was going through my closet and wanted more room for her stuff. She noticed all my bins and asked what's in there, I told her it's my diecast collection, she told me to grow up and stop playing with toys and get rid of all of them.:( I really feel bummed out. She can't even support my hobby that I really love doing. Do you any of you have the same problem with your spouse? Any advice for me?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My Fiance says the same thing but I have been collecting a lot longer than 3 years. She says that my collection is better than drinking, womenizing, Body enhancements (Tattoos, Body piercings) or drugs.
My suggestion is find another place to store your collection. So long as you are not spending more time with your collection than with her, she should not have any reason to be offended.
I hope this helps a little.
Richard

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Wow! You do have a dilema on your hands. I've been collecting for close to, well, I'm 41 and have been doing it since I was 6. My wife knew of my hobby when she married me and accepted it when we got married. She has been quite supportive at times and then there are times she just shakes her head. :p I have much of my collection stored in bins and boxes but do have several display cabinets out both at work and at home. When I retire in a few more years, I plan on building my own diecast mini-museum somewhere on the 40 plus acres i plan on owning. :thumbsup: Some advice I can give.... Are you the type who likes to go on the "Hunt" for your cars or do you order online? I like to hunt myself and since my wife likes to "shop" I've taken to going with her on her days and include her into my hunting days. Over time, she has taken to my hobby quite well and has been know to bring home a car or two for me on her own. It's about spending some quality time with each other doing something she likes / I like. Include a dinner or lunch into the mix and it is only that much nicer. What are her hobbies? Is there anything that you can be included more into to share that quality time with her? Also, why do you collect? Think about what it means / does for you and explain that to her. For me, my cars are an avenue of therapy. More importantly, my children have taken a collective interest in the hobby and it allows us even more time to share a common interest. Communication is the key to any successful relationship. But for communication to work, one has to LISTEN to the words being said. I wish you the best my friend!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
So sorry to here that you are facing a turning point in your hobby. I am sure you will miss your wife.

OK, seriously, this road has been traveled by many collectors over the years. I can not offer any personal experience, as my wife (she's put with me almost 30 years now!) has always been supportive of my hobbies (well, not so much the real cars...they cost REAL money!).

Though she does not share any interest in my toys, she knows how much enjoyment they bring me and is therefor very supportive. I think they answer might be in some serious communications between you and your wife.

Have an honest talk and let her know how you feel. That you both need stress outlets and hobbies. This being yours, a compromise needs to be achieved. Your already at a handicap by only enjoying your collection at night. As for selling them, per her instructions, ask her why? What would that accomplish? Unless your family needs the money, I would stand firm and ask how you guys can find a happy common ground.

Again, I can't really offer any personal advice (as I have collected over 40 years, and have bought and sold my collection several times over) without any real resistance. I wish you the best and that you might enjoy your collection (and wife) for years to come.

Ward

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Time for a new wife, Walmart has a 30yr return policy.....JK.....

Its funny how woman can go out there and buy the whole Store when it comes to clothing & shoes but when us men want something its like we are pulling teeth to get one thing. From what you have written, seems to me that she doesn't collect anything and you should feel the same way. I would sit down with her and explain to her that you really enjoy this Hobby as its a cheap way of intertainment and keeps you home at night. ( Your wife would hate me then since I am sitting on 50k worth of Signed Sports Memoriabila (( heee heee)) ). Here's another sugestion: Most men own the garage in the house for there pleasures and if you do have one why dont you go out there and build something to store them or showcase them for your own pleasure. I opened up most of my Cars so I can display them to save room in storing them + I can pick them up and roll them around if I choose so. Sealed packages take up way too much space IMHO. Keep the ones that are special or limited in the packages but 99% of todays Diecast Cars are NOT LIMITED what so ever.

Hope this kind of helps...

Good luck in the fight :beatdeadhorse: <---- Wife ....again JK

·
Registered
499 Posts
cut off her credit cards, :) (that was MY other half's advice) I used to keep mine mostly in bins as well, until I met her, tested the waters & she insisted I display them proudly....I would never part with my collection, they're very dear to me, I just turned 40...the only time one should 'grow up' is when you're being laid to rest. Sorry Stang22, I have no real advice, other than stick to your guns & have a spare room, even the furnace room in the basement for you hobby. :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Things with me are much like already said above. I am 40 and have been collecting since I can remember. I started "hunting" for cars 16 years or so ago. I open everything and display most of it. I have a good bit in boxes. I married a few years ago so she knew exactly what she was getting, a grown man with tons of cars. She would agree that they are just cars and a rather harmless hobby. You do have to stay within scope to avoid spending too much. We just bought 35 acres so unlike plankowner, I have my space now. I have an entire second house on the property just for my collection. I know this is rare but I am lucky. Anyway my advice is just to talk to her. They are rather harmless in the end. As far as her arguement that they just toys and you should grow up perhaps explain there is a massive adult market out there and these are not just for kids. I won't pretend to know any numbers but my gut would say there are probably more of brands like Greenlight in the hands of adults than with children. It just so happens cars are sold in toy isles.

·
Registered
849 Posts
im 22 now ive collected for as long as i can rem
my dad got me into it
i had 1 gril friend that disliked it i did not give up my cars needless to say she went
my gril friend right now thinks its cool and enjoys goig out looking for them with me lol

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
My wife thinks it's silly and we get into arguments all the time. They stay in my office at home and do not infiltrate the rest of the house. Show her pictures of Fests and get togethers, she will realize there are a lot of us out here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great advice and tips guys. :) I had a long talk with her after I posted here and well....it didn't work. I took a day off work today and after she left for work I decided to take "Liv N Low's" advice, store it in the garage. This was actually my last option cause our garage is not attached to our house and there's a bunch of rodents crawling every in there.

You guys are lucky to have such supportive wives and that they would actually help you guys hunt....that's so cool! If I find some good stuff at a store and if the wife is shopping with me, I have to hide them and come back for them later. Most of my 1:18 Scale cars I order online, tracking number is very important to me, got to track that package and makesure the wife is not home when it arrives.

Been married 15 years and I'm 38 years old "Liv N Low" yes it would be nice if my wife had a return policy.....that was a joke! My wife can be nice sometimes, when she doesn't see my diecast collection. Better get back and start moving more bins to the garage before she gets home. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can't say my wife likes all the diecast cars, but she paints the buildings I make, and adds some colour to the people.
She also likes to arrange the cars on the dio. (I call it playing with the cars), but she wouldn't admit to that. LOL

·
Registered
837 Posts
Take my advice. Find out when the next show of "Intervention" is on and watch it with her. At the end of the show mention to her that you could have a hobby collecting drugs and alcohol, spending your money towards nothing and have your life go for a crap OR collect diecast that makes YOU happy while it's also an investment that if down the road you wanted to get out of the hobby, you could get your money back while possible profit. Figure out what you support for her and let her know that a marriage goes both ways. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm sorry if I seem cold, but if my wife were that intolerant of something that brought me pleasure, I'd find a new wife. I don't care if it's diecast, golf, or ugly flannel shirts - if it's harmless fun I'd expect my wife to give me my space. My wife doesn't understand my attachment to toys, but she does understand that I enjoy it. She also understands that it takes almost no time away from her, it's a hobby I can now share with our two sons, and it smells better than fishing. As for displaying them, she also knows that this home is just as much mine as it is hers. I don't have any toys in the bedroom, the kitchen or the dining room, and only a couple of nice cases in the great room. The basement, which we built together, is loaded with displays. On top of that, I still have far more bins than would ever fit in a bedroom closet.
Seriously, have you been such a perfect husband that this is the worst she's had to complain about? Maybe that's the problem, maybe you should go out and develop a drug problem or something, then she'll see how trivial this is.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
buy yourself an outside shed /work shop and fix it up and then display them proudly. put a lock on the door and raise a flag and tell her it's off limits...im 53 and my wife loves my hobby. i not only collect but also customize them. i have one room in the house that i work out of and she puts her sewing machines in here that she use's everyday for her hobby.
i support hers and she supports mine.

ps.. leave alil room for a bed just in case!!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Stang22,
I hear ya brotha about having to move them in the Garage as most of my Collection is in the Garage since we who live in Cal don't have basements like the folks back East do. So we have to improvise and that is make our Diecast Home in the Garage. If you have rodents then make sure you have enough traps and repellants around if you dont have children roaming in the Garage as you dont want to harm your Family as of yet....LOL...JK.

I can only speak for myself here but I would have a longggggggggg talk with her and remind her that your Marriage is 50-50 and the Home you are Renting or Owning is half yours and half hers. So that being said, she should grant you your wish with your space ( Hopefully your next space is not outside with the dogs ). Of course we all dont know your finances either with this Hobby but hopefully its not draining you or your Family. Stay strong as I said above just sit down with her and let her know your feelings. Hopefully she's a reasonable person. If she's not then its time to go through her Clothing and Shoes and find ones that she doesn't wear any longer. If your Cars have to go then her Clothing will too..... Again its a give and take in this world to make happiness all around.

Wish you the best of luck

Liv N Low

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Good advice from Gunn and Scrambler81 and LivN'Low. It really sounds (from both of your post) that you guys have a lot deeper problems then a few toy cars. Might I suggest some counseling, there are issues that need addressing!

We have a two story home and while there is not one automotive related product upstairs (the main floor) down stairs is the “boys” domain! It’s cars everywhere! My wife has her own office / hobby room upstairs, but we still wind up doing both our hobbies in the same room just to hang out together.

Like I say, this is more then toy cars between you too.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I guess my wife's OK with my cars since we have cars in every room of the house except the bathroom. She even has her own little pink car collection over her sewing area.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm thinking that your wife may feel a little like a diecast widow...and may be feeling ignored and is jealous of your 'mistress'. I would suggest you make her priority. Dang...try putting yourself in her shoes... :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Just curious, what are her hobbies if any? If she has a hobby shopping, nicknacks, books, music, knitting, then it has to go too. If you can't have something to relax and enjoy than why should she?

My wife of 24 years supports my hobby and does not even mind that I got my two daughters involved in it also.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts