Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the last few days, I've been trying to decide what colors to paint the exterior (and interior) of my TOS shuttlecraft diorama. When I look at some of the pictures on cloudster's site like this one (http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STShuttlecraft/DVDimages/The_Immunity_Syndrome_236.jpg), there's no question that the top is a lighter gray than the bottom, so I'm thinking something like the Pale Greyblue that I used on my Saber class (I posted pictures a couple of weeks ago). It's a bit lighter than Testor's Light Ghost Grey. But I'm not sure what to use for the upper section. I was thinking Testor's Light Grey, but it might be too light. Any thoughts on this?

And what exactly should one paint the interior? I'm thinking some kind of tan (and dark grey on the floor) for the lower section and a light grey for the upper section, but it seems that there's almost greenish tinge to the interior of upper section of the shuttlecraft). One thing is for certain. Painting the raptors will be easier! No reference pics to try to interpret!

Thanks for the help.

Brad.

·
Starship Class
12,113 Posts
I haven't found pics of the Galileo II stage prop from 'The Apple' or other shows. Was it really painted gray overall as the site says it was? :confused:

·
Starship Class
12,113 Posts
^^ :lol: Yea, brother!

Thanks! I missed those somehow. :freak:

It does look as though the whiter areas were toned down some. The rest looks the same, however.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You are definately on the right track to paint the upper hull a light grey color..... a lot of modelers go for some off-white but I always thought that made it look too toy-like.

I used Testers Light Grey on my upper half, and it came out looking great. Viewed against the darker lower section (which I think I painted dark ghost gray, hard to remember back to 1990) it ends up looking like a sort of off white... which is really what the thing looked like on television.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks John. I've got a final coat of light grey to go, and while it may not be exactly canon, it's close enough, and I like the way it looks so far. If PL does eventually do a kit of this, it'll be great. There are so many things wrong with this kit. That said, I'm still enjoying it. Maybe it's because I haven't done one since my childhood!

Brad.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am not sure where I read this, but I think the inside wall color was more a duckegg blue that looks greenish in TV prints. Maybe it was the FSM article?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I was just looking at the int. shots of the shuttle. The shots reminded me of a thought I had as a kid....and still now...Why did they design the front windows so high....if they bother to have windows at all...then wouldn't be better if a seated pilot could see straight out of them?

OAB

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
They wanted, I guess, to have the effect of windows, but know that by pitching the camera a certain way they wouldn't really have to worry about putting anything outside but a sky backdrop.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Good point....but they could have the windows closed, as they were most of the time anyway....and open when in space...which would only require a space back-drop or a blue screen. I mean, gee, they can't live without that big screen TV in/on the bridge...they should have had a view screen in the shuttle at least.

OAB

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I understood the original shuttle to be primarily an "instrument" piloted craft. Panel displays and visual scanners would provide all of the flight and direction information needed to navigate. Not unlike Apollo spacecraft, where looking out a window was more of an option, rather than a necessity in order to successfully pilot the craft.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I kinda gathered that was their thinking. It's funny how, in the future of Trek, that on all the...NG, DS-9, Voyager shuttles, they actually looked out a front windshield...and could see where they were going!!

OAB

·
Starship Class
12,113 Posts
^^Yeah, it'd make a lot more sense to have a mini main viewscreen on the console.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts