Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for info on pickup shoes cleaning and i dont see it here. I am just curious on what you guys use to clean ho slot car pickup shoes.. JL, AW, AFX, Gplus, SRT , TYCO....do you use same method on copper/silver/plated gold shoes?

What is the best way to do it? I see info on light grid sandpaper, vinegar/salt, one looks like a pen with eraser thing or is it a grit on it?

Wes

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! I didnt think of that.. is it good for all ? copper/silver etc.. or just copper?

Wes

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes, I do it that way on all pickup shoes.

Everyone I know does it like that, except the guys that stroke their slot cars like their...
Well, I don't want to get another infraction.

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do it that way on all pickup shoes.

Everyone I know does it like that, except the guys that stroke their slot cars like their...
Well, I don't want to get another infraction.

LOLOL!! i will have to look for wire wheel. i got alot of pickups to clean.

and one more thing superfist do you know how to test ohm on tyco 440x2 armatures?

Thanks for the info.

Wes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wizzard sells an abrasive rubber wheel for a Dremel. You may be able to get them elsewhere, but I'm not sure. It's easier on your shoes than a steel wire wheel. Steel will eat through the copper plating. Brass wire wheels are better, but I still like the rubber wheel best. I never thought of using the Q-tip, though. I'll have to try that.

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
Hey guys, I use basically the same method, but instead of the wire wheel or an abrasive wheel, I use a rubberized polishing wheel. They work much better than a wire or abrasive wheel, as they remove much less material and polish the shoe at the same time. Which is a good thing. I do have the mandrels and wheels available on my website in various grits from extra fine to coarse. A complete set of grits and a mandrel will set you back only a few bucks. Sorry about the shameless plug! :) Oh yeah, one more thing, these wheels work best with a BATTERY powered dremel. My first experience with these with a 30,000 rpm dremel was enlightening at best! Always wear your safety equipment!

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
polishing wheel

Hey guys, I use basically the same method, but instead of the wire wheel or an abrasive wheel, I use a rubberized polishing wheel. They work much better than a wire or abrasive wheel, as they remove much less material and polish the shoe at the same time. Which is a good thing. I do have the mandrels and wheels available on my website in various grits from extra fine to coarse. A complete set of grits and a mandrel will set you back only a few bucks.

PP, could you bring some with you to the Richfield show?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I also use various rubber and silicone based polishing wheels. The harder rubber ones can take a bit more material off, so don't grind on them too long. This company sells a wide variety in different softness levels and different grits:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel-polish-rubber-wheel-square-edge

The soft pink ones work very well.

The fiberglass pens, which are also known as scratch brushes, work well for shoe cleaning during the race. You can get refillable versions from companies like this:

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=BRS-294-00

The "ultra fine" version of this tool is awesome for cleaning comms on a car that allows you to get at the comm while the car is powered up, i.e. Tyco, Wizzard, MegaG, Aurora G-Plus, Slottech, etc. Just don't apply too much pressure, let the tool do the work. Always clean the comm with air can after using this tool.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I still use them. They used to be half pink and half grey, one side for pencil, and the other for ink. The TM found some for me last year, half white and half gray. She thinks she got them in the arts supply section at Hobby Lobby. The "cretaceous erasceous" is not extinct yet.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
I still use them. They used to be half pink and half grey, one side for pencil, and the other for ink. The TM found some for me last year, half white and half gray. She thinks she got them in the arts supply section at Hobby Lobby. The "cretaceous erasceous" is not extinct yet.
Maybe there is hope for Big Foot too then :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts