Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size are the Pop Rivets are being used for re-attaching a HW / GL
back together ....I have been using small screws for the past 20+ years
but thinking the rivets may be cheaper in the long run.

Any Info will be great appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Personally, I like the screw method when I do it as I have changed my mind on wheels and such down the road. Rivets never seemed to work well for me.

I also just JB weld them and "ka-Fooey" on the screws and rivets.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
I haven't done many, but so far I've been getting lucky. :)

I haven't drilled the rivets all the way, so the base just snaps back in place. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Input guys...

With a little web searching I found the Info ...

Basic Components:

3/32nd Aluminum Pop Rivets
3/32nd Drill Bit (commonly known as a #41)
3/16th Drill Bit
Stationary Drill or Drill Press
Rivet Tool
Eye Protection
Good Lightning

·
Registered
350 Posts
That good lighting is an important part.

You should also get a tray or a box top to drill on, makes clean up so much easier.

I use 2-56 button head screws. They look very similar to the stock rivets and make maintenance on the race cars a lot easier. Plus you can always re-tighten 'em if you need to.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hey LNL,

I use nothing but Rivets to reassemble my Customs because I like a clean, permanent professional finish. Just like the factory.

Rivets aren't necessarily cheaper than 1/56 and 2/56 sheet metal screws that you can find at Ace Electronics.
But, JL Rivet posts are of a smaller diameter than HW's and using small screws may be easier for some people.
Drilling out the JL post with a 1/16" bit and using a tiny sheet metal screw is a quick and easy way to reassemble those JL's if you don't mind the look.

The last time I bought Rivets was a wholesale deal of 20,000 and I've pieced out half of them online.
You can buy the correct Rivets at NAPA parts dealers.
A 250 pc box is about $13.
Here's a link to one of my "CadillacPat Customizing Tutorials" here on HobbyTalk with all the necessary Rivet information,

"Disassembly and Reassembly of Customs Using Rivets"
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=216746

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--
Keeping the ZING in Customizing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
The rivets I use on my customs are MS20470 solid aluminum button head. I have two sizes. The larger rivet is used on most modern diecast. The smaller works well with older, vintage international diecast and chassis/axle retainers in Jada and Greenlight cars.

The larger ones are -A3-4, the smaller A2-2.5

The number indicates diameter-length in 16ths of an inch. The head diameter on the A3-4s is 0.18"; dia; the A2-2.5 head is 0.11"; dia.

I drill out the old rivets with the diameter bit of the rivet I'll be using. I use a hand drill rather than my dremil. the drimiel was WAY to fast, causing the bit to walk as the metal softened from the heat. I come back with a larger drill bit to take the old rivet shoulder off. That usually requires using a end of a precision common screwdriver to peel the last free.

I had to buy them by the pound, so I have enough for my lifetime and the next 200 generations to come.:drunk:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch CadillacPat & TJinSa :thumbsup: for all the helpful tips.

I'm looking for more of a cleaner look over the screws. I'll give it
a shot as I never quit when there is a challenge. :)

Thanks again for all the Info :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts