Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Coke cars. Does JL pay Coke or does Coke pay JL. If JL pays Coke, why? These are usually peg warmers. Thanks for any responses.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Even though it would seem JL is doing Coke the favor by advertising their product, I believe JL has to pay them the licensing fee to use the logos. This is why Licensed series always cost a bit more.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Coke is one of the most collected logos on the planet. There are people who will buy anything with Coke on it, so lots of companies pay to have that name on their products.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
macnut said:
Coke might be one of the most collected logos but they sure don't help sell JL's.
I have never really seen Coke cars as peg warmers around my neck of the woods

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I only have one JL. But I know people who have filled their houses with Coke stuff.
I bought a case of these cars for a lady at work who is into it. Everyone has there hobbies.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm thinking that back in the good old days a diecast manufacturer (for example) could approach a car company and simply request permission to make a toy version of the real thing and the car company would say "we want final approval of the product and many free cases for us to play with". The same with logo's "sure, you can use it but we want final approval as to how, and give us many free toys".

But somewhere everyone got greedy. They probably blamed it on trial lawyers who cried "Lil' Rinky Rugrat swallowed a JL Ford Van because it had a Cola logo on it and its ALL your fault!"...

- its lunch and I have free time :)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Even though it would seem JL is doing Coke the favor by advertising their product, I believe JL has to pay them the licensing fee to use the logos. This is why Licensed series always cost a bit more.
Correct. Licensed series always cost more then the regular ones and the reason JL keeps making so many Coca Cola series is to pay off the licensing fees along with a nice profit.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I too believe as much as collectors don't like the Coke cars they do sell well to Coke collectors. They ran into a bit of trouble when there were like 3 releases close together and the castings weren't that well chosen, so they didn't have much cross-collector base appeal. It was like you HAD to be a Coke collector to buy some of those! :tongue:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree about the choice of castings. I was prepared to pre-order the whole set of Coke Family to get the first release of the 1973 Chevy Wagon. With that gone, I will only by the 65 Catalina, and that will be whenever I find it. More new castings and better selection may mean better sales (and probably less complaints about all of the Coke series).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
macnut said:
Coke might be one of the most collected logos but they sure don't help sell JL's.
I honestly never pay attention to release numbers, since it won't effect my purchase decision, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.
Are the Coke cars actually poor sellers, or are they making a lot more of them than they do their other series? It seems like whenever Coke cars show up, they come out in force.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts