Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question regarding Plastic Styrene Sheets

Okay guys I need your help...I want to get a sheet of plastic styrene so I can add the four missing escape pod hatches that are supposed to be on both sides of the neck towards the aft part of the primary hull. Now my question is on Mirco Mark's website it lists three different inches of styrene sheet... one at .030 Inches, one at .060 Inches, and the third at .020 Inches...and I was wondering which one should I probably get so it'll be the exact same thickness as the rest of the escape pod hatches on the model?? Or is it no matter which size I get I will probably have to sand them down a bit to match the proper thickness for the rest of the escape pod hatches? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Trent

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Trent,
I assume you're talking about the missing hatches on the Monogram Voyager kit. It's been a few years since I built mine but if I remember correctly I used .030 styrene stock. Though I would imagine you could just as easily use .020 styrene. The .060 would be too thick in my opinion.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm...okie thanks for the info Capt....I'll go ahead and get the .020'' sheet then. And yes I'm talking about the missing escape pod hatches.

Trent

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you considered looking at the "for sale" and "garage sale" signs in your local hardware shops as a possible soluition. I know they come in various thicknesses and I've used them as a poor mans replacement for sheet styrene. This will allow you to examine before you buy and no waiting for mail.

Don

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you're trying to get your head around how thick those sheets are, .020" is half a millimetre, .030" is three quarters of a millimetre (obviously) and .060" is one and a half millimetre (or so close to 1/16th on an inch that it makes no odds).

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
You need a poor man's replacement for a $3 sheet of plastic?

·
Registered
877 Posts
John P said:
You need a poor man's replacement for a $3 sheet of plastic?
Hmmmm, now John gives me an idea. :devil: Lots of real estate signs around that could make one heck of a scratchbuild.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heh, the stores in my area charge over $8.00 for a garage sale sign! I got a whole pack of PLASTRUCT .20 in. thick styrene for $4.50.

What kind of a world is this?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I buy 2 x 4 sheets at a wholesaler. Lasts for years. ( especially if you don't build anything. ) May be overkill for three small squares.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol...thanks for the information everyone much appreciated. :) I'll definitely get a sheet of .020'' of styrene and try it out. Gotta get a scribing tool too so I can add some missing panel lines on the model...the ones that need to be added to the top of the nacelles as well as the each sides of the neck just aft of the primary hull on the secondary hull.

Trent

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know speaking of the Voyager model...after owning both the Limited Edition and Regular Release...well the only two advantages of having the Limited Edition is the corrected upper primary hull windows, and all the extra decals. The decals though you can get aftermarket ones from STM which are just as nice...But generally I perfer the original release....the one I've got right now I've noticed a lot of the details are much clearer and crisper than from the L.E. version.

For example; the sensor plates I remember the ones on the L.E. some of the details were too joined together and couldn't really compare it with what the instructions show...espically for the ones along the edge of the primary saucer. But for the original edition when I looked at them and compared them to the L.E.'s instructions they matched almost dead on. I was able to paint them with out having any problems at all trying to figure out where to paint the details. But not sure if anyone else feels the same way or not...

BTW MitchPD3 no need to swear like that man...and no one needs to send me "scraps" of styrene...I want to get a full sheet incase if I need it again later down the road...

Trent

·
Registered
295 Posts
soloboy5 said:
Heh, the stores in my area charge over $8.00 for a garage sale sign! I got a whole pack of PLASTRUCT .20 in. thick styrene for $4.50.

What kind of a world is this?
Are you sure the garage doesn't come with the sign?:p At my LHS a small piece about 6x12 ran me about $4 while a GS sign about 15x24 ran about $2. And once it was painted, look just as good. I'm all for the LHS making a living, but at times and with certain items, his prices did seem a little on the high side. He may have priced himself out of existance since the last time I went, the shop had been closed, moved and left no forwarding address.

Don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts