Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is not pointed at anyone, so, if you take offense to this post I am sorry.

What defines a "Chase" car.

Is it one that is placed into cases sent to stores so people can "chase" after it?

or

Is it one that is made in smaller quantities (1-5% of issue), different then the regular issue (Color/Interior/Tires/Wheels), and sold via a web site or at a show, with the small possibility that it was placed into cases?

I say it's one that is placed into cases so you might find it in a store. If it's sold on a web site or at a show I consider it a Limited Issue versus a Chase Car.

Thanks

Gerald

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Its a combination: an item that is produced in fewer numbers than its release counterparts, and "packed short" (1 per case, 1 per 10 cases, etc).

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
You could make all these arguments.

1. They are both chase cars since you either have to chase them down in a store or online.

Or:

2. The online version isn't really a chase car since you don't have to literally "chase" them around store to store, where the term "chase" originated I'm sure.

Or:

3. They are both simply limited editions and the only "chasing" is done by lunatics. :D

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Question - are all "chase" cars originally purchased in stores (even online stores where you get one in a luck of the draw situation), or can vendors/dealers get them directly from a manufacturer? Even OLD's who buy in bulk are still "chasing" the chance of getting that chase car, since there is no guarantee. I'm not sure this makes sense - so:
Can I buy a "chase" car straight out of the factory without the middleman?

Is a "chase" car dependant on the chaser or chasee and who actually did the chasing?? :drunk:

·
Registered
704 Posts
But if you catch it, is it still legally considered a 'chase' car?
And once you've caught it and the highly personal thrill of the chase is over, doesn't it become worth the same as all the other cars you own?

My brain is imploding.... ::rolleyes:

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
All I know is that some of the cars that I would be "chasing" are actually limited runs, not really "chase" cars.

The other night I was out at K-mart and found 2 identical G-Ride "chase" cars and I found the same one there about 3 months ago.

I would rather have a 1 of 1000 limited run than have 1 of 2,500 chase cars.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
CenterShock said:
I would rather have a 1 of 1000 limited run than have 1 of 2,500 chase cars.
Just think of how many THs there are, never less than 10,000! It also has to do with the number of people "chasing" them, too. ;)

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I guess it depends on how much one would pay for it. Limiteds..Chase...Samething. I have a few "Chase" cars from the fest. I purchased one of the "Chase" cars for Autofest. I have a few WLs all are chase cars due to limited runs. My 2 cents

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I don't do a lot of "chasing" these days. Limited funds, limited chasing. Once ince in a while, I enjoy it, but so few limited anything makes it to the pegs, where 90% of my collecting is done. That being said, a couple of I stumbled across the Jada Chevelle chase in Target, left it behind (I didn't know it was a chase until that same evening when I read about it in a post). So I went back to Target the next day and thought it was one of my few lucky experiences to find this limited car. Then in the days that followed, I saw at least three more hanging on the pegs in different stores. Then I read how others saw it all over the place. I didn't buy more than the one car, but I wondered if this particular chase car was just a well kept secret up to that point, or whether it wasn't really all that limited. My first chase car, or just a chase hoax? Either way, I got one...hooray!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I would agree that there's not point of even thinking about it as a chase car if it never even made it to the store as intended.

I'm sure that around 90% of all chase cars never make it to the pegs and the 10% that do and are found by the lucky collector don't end up on ebay or shows.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
Just think of how many THs there are, never less than 10,000! It also has to do with the number of people "chasing" them, too. ;)

Gadzooks N' Egads!!!

My guess is that there are over a million sold for each TH release now,
and the number keeps on growing with each year that passes.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Hmm, I chased that pewter Saturn for about a year. Its no WL or anything. Also had a big hunt on the missing pieces of the commemorative '96 set, regular versions. They were not really high dollar cars, just had a few missing ones. I'm chasing some 73 Chargers now. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I wont lie... I would like to have all the matching whites to go with the 73 Chargers. I have to get all the regular ones first. I just like that casting!
It seems anyone can get a chase car. Just go to the bay and pay the big price.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Last years Charity Mustang had a Chase version which was randomly placed in orders. That is an example of a Chase car that was not sold at retail.
The fact that it was random made it a true chase car.

DrDeal

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Drdealone said:
Last years Charity Mustang had a Chase version which was randomly placed in orders. That is an example of a Chase car that was not sold at retail.
The fact that it was random made it a true chase car.

DrDeal

And didn't that make it all the more fun to get?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
bob8748 said:
It seems anyone can get a chase car. Just go to the bay and pay the big price.
Brother, you just said it all.

I don't imagine that companies made these with the thought they'd end up being basically "pilfered" and sold for ungodly $$ on E Bay, I'm sure they did it to spur interest in their line and this was just the result of their ultimate success in that end.

Still more fun to find a chase the way they were intended to be found, on the pegs. There are just too darned many brands with too many "traits" to keep up with what all the "chases" are. What the heck is a G Ride "chase" trait??????? :rolleyes: And how much fun is it finding a chase in a series you don't collect, or in a car like that BTM Chevelle that is too darned easy to find (those things are everywhere, the most common "chase" I've ever seen!).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts