Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to drill them out and get them apart, but when put back together, are they ever really riveted? I know the Mr. John method of using a tap and screw. The replacement rivets that are available almost look fake. Are they epoxied and the head of a "rivet" but back in place to give it that look? I have read here that when they are made they are not really rivets, but a post that has the head mushroomed to resemble a rivet. What is the real method?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
the reproduction rivets most of the time are glued, but if you had the right punch and drillbit you could press fit them in. but when they are made a machine with a spinning bit presses down on the post and the pressure shapes the post into a mushroom shape holding the chassis on. hope this helps

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helps a lot. I have been gluing any customs or wheel swaps back together, but wasn't sure if the repro rivets were actual rivets or as you said, glued in place. If I restore those redlines, I want at least the appearance of a rivet, and you have answered my questions. Thanks!
the reproduction rivets most of the time are glued, but if you had the right punch and drillbit you could press fit them in. but when they are made a machine with a spinning bit presses down on the post and the pressure shapes the post into a mushroom shape holding the chassis on. hope this helps

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah I used Mr. Johns Method. Its the best way that I found and they do look like rivets as the HEX screw is soo small.. The plus side is you can open and close them back up and make and details that are needed. Thanks MR. John.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I guess I'm the odd one out 'cause I use machine screws rather than rivets. The screws i use are 2/56 x 3/16 and I get 'em exclusively from mcmastercarr.com.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct. They do look like rivets. I was thinking with a redline that I wanted to get it as close to original as possible, but once it is striped and re painted, how original can it be? I like your method better than the glue issue, but again , I was thinking original. Do you still have those kits, or what size bit and tap do you use? Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I recently purchased Mr. John's diecast customizing kit . . . screws, tap, drill bit, axle rods, tiny little crimp tubes . . . all in one envelope. A huge improvement over what I was using before, highly recommended.

Get one and support Mr. John's crackin' habit!

Rick V.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts