Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someday,I am going to light a model that is molded in black. this model is going to be primed in white then painted gray. The inside will still be black. will the gray exterior hide the light from shining through the plastic, or, should i also prime the inside with the white primer to reflect the light and keep it inside? the model is the PL Seaview. thanks.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I've never done it myself ('cuz I don't know spit about lighting a model) but I've read the best thing to do is prime the inside of the kit, then spray on a layer of silver paint; apparently it prevents the light from showing through the plastic better than black.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
RIGHT! Silver is the best....but do be careful....some types of silver paint can actually be a conductor.

At joints and seams where I think there may be a problem (from the inside) I have used white glue before painting.

Hope that helps and good luck.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fluke, i have metallic silver and the lights will be 4 LEDS apart from each other. I have the tamiya white primer and i was going to spray that inside, but silver is what you recomend instead of the white ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
In kits I have lighted, I spray flat black on the interior and then a coat of chrome or silver. If seams are really nasty, sometimes I use a strip of aluminum tape that covers the inside of the seam - that assumes you can reach in from another opening and press the tape down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts