Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to build models again.I have not done this since I was 12. I have a R2, X-wing, Colonial Viper, and A knight Rider model. I have seen pictures of people putting lights in these models and would love to do, but I do not know where to start. I have have never done this before. Can anyone tell me where to go on line or have any tips they can pass on?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
There is a lighting forum on the site here, probably a very good place to start. I am working on a Revell Germany Klingon D7 and it seems just made for lighting. I think I am going to make it my first lighted model. My current plans are to try and do it with some easy LED lights from CultTVMan at his online hobby shop. I played with them at Wonderfest this year and they are very easy to work with. I only have to figure out where to put the wiring and how to work with the limitations they do present. The system is rather modular so connecting them up looks to be very straight forward. Lighting these days with LEDs and such is a much easier task than in the past.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I'm a self-taught lighter, having started with a single LED in the old MPC Maximiliian robot model. What a thrill it was to hit the power switch and have his eye light up! I faced the same issues of where to go, what to get and not pay outlandish prices. About a year ago now, I established Modeler's Brand Hobby Supplies for folks just like us.

The LED Packs I offer include just about everything you need to get going, minus a soldering iron. Coming in different quantities form 5-50 each of 9 colors of LEDs in three different physical sizes of 3mm, 5mm and the jumbo 10mm's, plus a variety of resistors, electrical tape, heat shrink, solder, switches, battery clips, wire and more.

And I stock a lot more than that, including power supplies, remote control power/dimmers, LED testers, LEDTape in four different styles and up to 11 colors and still much more than that.

Have a look at the Modeler's Brand catalog page here:
www.modelersbrand.com

I'm a couple days away from an update with some new gear, so things like power supplies are not yet posted. I'm offering a special deal to those who write me before I do post them.

Good luck with your travels! And check out the lighting board here. There is a lot of good info there, from basics to advanced.

This thread I created covers all of the most basic skills and procedures it takes to light a simple model, simply.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=264145

Best,
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you to all for your help, tips and advice. This is also the first forum group I have ever joined so I am learning my way around the forum.

Mike:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Model Man! You have what I want. I think I will be shopping now. This is going to make modeling building more fun than I ever would have thought!
Mike

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Dang, Tom! That's some really useful stuff you got there. How'd I go a year without hearing about it? :confused:
Thanks, Mark. Apart from a very few posts here and there on a few forums, I haven't gone out of my way to advertise. Word of mouth has worked very well so far. :hat:

Thanks Model Man! You have what I want. I think I will be shopping now. This is going to make modeling building more fun than I ever would have thought!
Mike
Best wishes on whatever route you follow, Mike! Basic electronics is a very fun skill to learn that will boost your models to a very magical level. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts