Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled off the most incredible jaw dropping snipe I've done so far and have been wanting one of this casting for a while now but just couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a beat one or up to $150 for a really nice one.
Now It doesn't matter very much really in the end because I got the deal if a lifetime either way but from what I can tell this car looks to be purple.

What do you all think? Purple or magenta?
I was able to find an original top for it as well so I got that covered too.
The seller wasn't a collector or anything and didnt know what to call it.

Her is one for comparison that looks magenta and is claimed to be magenta.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
First off, congratulations on finding one that you've really been wanting. I had that one as a kid and always just thought of it as purple myself. This was mt first "Classic"-style Hot Wheels car. I've always been into classic cars, especially those designed by Gordon Buehrig. I got several copies of the "Classic Duesenberg" when it came out a few years after the Cord. Unfortunately my Cord disappeared after I gave all of my childhood Hot Wheels, Matchboxes, etc. to my kids when they were old enough to play with them. They all got lost in a move about 20 years ago. The purple Cord is one of about 10 that I'd dearly love to get back!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Thats toned magenta my friend. Great score! :thumbsup: When I find my purple one Eric I'll post it welll wait a minute......

The Magenta is in the middle with the purple one on the left.​

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
it does look purple in the darker areas of the picture, but you see where the light is reflecting and it is a magenta...so i can see why you had some trouble.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm far from a Spectraflame expert, but to my eyes it tends more toward magenta. My guess is that it's very evenly toned, very thick paint, or was painted with the spray rig not completely cleaned of purple, or some other darker color.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool. Thanks a bunch everyone. I think I like the magenta better actually especially toned like that. I have asked the right people that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Man, you have the best luck with all those vintage cars. I LOVE that stuff and would, and have actually slowed down looking for new stuff and concentrated on what I have now in vintage. Matchbox, redlines,, Dinky, Husky.... Just can't beat that stuff. I wish I could score those deals, but here in Canada, whoever has them thinks they have GOLD. Sweet car ..Congrats. BTW.. It's Magenta.:)

·
Registered
570 Posts
its magenta. wheel chrome is touched up too.

you should try to sign up for redlines online. i've been watching you for awhile since you've dove into redlines,you'll get alot of 'schooling' there. i mean that in a good way. put me down as reference if you want to.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its magenta. wheel chrome is touched up too.

you should try to sign up for redlines online. i've been watching you for awhile since you've dove into redlines,you'll get alot of 'schooling' there. i mean that in a good way. put me down as reference if you want to.

Cool. Thanks for the tip I figured someone botched up those wheels. They look like crap. I'd rather have a well worn half chrome left wheels than something that bad. Let me ask this, not that it matters in this particular case, but in general on redlines, does it hurt the collectibility or collectible value (not necessarily the monetary value but they usually parallel each other) if I took better condition original wheels of the same style and size and country off of a car of lesser value to me and swapped them onto that car? Would I need to keep track of which wheels went to which car if they are the same? There really isn't a way to tell if the wheels are original to the car I assume aside from if they were the complete wrong style or size or origin right?

There have been a couple of guys on here that I would call friend who have helped get me into these redlines, and offered and provided guidance an tips. I also learned a lot by picking up the book "the ultimate redline guide". Gave me a lot of the history which was cool. I refer to it almost nightly.

I pretty much have learned to use the prices as guide and cap myself at no more than 25% of any number. Figure I'm usually safe there and if it looks too mint and too cheap and noone else is bidding on a perfectly mint car that looks too good to be true I try to steer clear. I'm slowly learning as I try to keep all of my purchases under the $20 mark for even a super mint car cause I know I can eventually fall into one at my comfort level. Exception was that original skyshow for around $40 with the plane and that one is so much fun I think I'm gonna buy the Deora RLc one I saw online for my daughter an so we can use that one too and not risk destroying the original plane from te fleet wood.

I got my little girl into liking them too. I have her a purple funny money I picked up and a Red Baron. Her favorite she told me is the skyshow though.

There is so much more character in the rl.

I'm always open to a schoolin and take any and all advice openly and thankfully.
Ill look up the redline online you mentioned and see what that is. Sounds like something interesting.

·
Registered
570 Posts
you'll have to excuse me,but its funny to hear rlol mentioned the way you have.anyway redlines online has been thee goto place for serious redline collectors since 1999.
its a message board just like this with many (now 1000's) of members.
you will have to fill out a membership form and give some credentials.

and to your question,yes you'd be better finding a beater with same size cap wheels and putting them on.say a swingin wing.
swapping wheels,as long as their right,is widely accepted as ok to do.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you'll have to excuse me,but its funny to hear rlol mentioned the way you have.anyway redlines online has been thee goto place for serious redline collectors since 1999.
its a message board just like this with many (now 1000's) of members.
you will have to fill out a membership form and give some credentials.

and to your question,yes you'd be better finding a beater with same size cap wheels and putting them on.say a swingin wing.
swapping wheels,as long as their right,is widely accepted as ok to do.
Ahh ok. Wasn't sure what rlol was. Makes sense now. That as pretty funny. I thought it might have been a info repository or reference site. Thanks for the reference offer. Ill be sur to take you up on it.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice one Eric.... She's a perdy one that's for sure.....:thumbsup:

You sure are on a roll in obtaining Redlines... Great market for them right now .... Grab as many as you can as you never know what will happen in the future..... Spend $20 on each Car and you may get 10,000 times over in value in the future. You never know :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts