Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I enjoy high-quality casts of my favorite cars but unfortunately, not every car out there is top notch, and my biggest gripe are the wheels. A few cars out there are in dire need of a nice set of wheels to make them pop but for the impatient few of us, we take those needs into our own hands. That said, ive seen many a custom on eBay with regular cars sporting real riders. Thing is, I have never seen just the wheels and axles for sale so that leads me to the question of do people buy real riders on their own or just sacrifice another car to take the wheels from it? I recently did a custom but I want to do more in a future but I can't really justify scrapping one car for the sake of another :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
For the most part those of us that do customize (or try to anyways) sacrifice another car for the wheels. Check out the Diecast Customizing forum on here and you will get a better idea of what the customizers do, whether it be sacrifice another car or try and purchase a set of wheels. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Hot Wheels does produce Real Rider Custom Wheel packs, good for ten wheel swaps of assorted style. But at around $30 you're not really saving any money over just buying a bunch of $3 cars at full retail. Especially if you pay for shipping. But finding donor wheels is what most customizers do. I don't blame you for not wanting to sacrifice a $3-5 car for the wheels. But there are many loose RR cars that can be purchased at a discount at online dealers, swap meets, flea markets, garage sales, etc. So I would suggest keeping an eye out for those.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have always sacrificed a car for my swaps. The thing I didn't like about the packs you buy is it is an assortment. I don't want to pay for dish wheels when ill never use them. Plus it ends up the same price if not more than buying the boulevards etc to use as donors. I usually figure out what car in gonna do then shop for the perfect wheel donor. Sometime ill put regular wheels back on the donor if I'm not lazy and just give it to the kids. But usually I just start a parts box and when it gets in the way give all the old bones away to someone here.

Oh and nice choice in wheels. Lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Pick up the 30 car sets that walmart gets every year once they go on clearence. Usually can be had for just a little over a buck a car.

Your next chance will be the new Boulevard 30 car sets on there way to Walmart. There all loose and only 5 exclusives so collectors will not be buying them. Grabbed a couple extras of the last set just for the wheels.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have never seen those sets at Wally World, clearance or not... but I do see real riders on the cheap at toy shows all the time. It is not uncommon to find cars from series up to 5 or 10 years ago for a buck or two.

Also don't be afraid to look at other brands. I have seen Greenlights for $2 each at toy shows and they would be great for wheel swaps too.

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Pick up the 30 car sets that walmart gets every year once they go on clearence. Usually can be had for just a little over a buck a car.

Your next chance will be the new Boulevard 30 car sets on there way to Walmart. There all loose and only 5 exclusives so collectors will not be buying them. Grabbed a couple extras of the last set just for the wheels.:thumbsup:
You gotta know I'll be looking to grab one or two of those sets. I'm getting more into customization, plus I'm a fan of the Boulevard series as it is.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
i just rob wheels from other cars. another option is the m2 wheel kits, they work great, not a big assortment but some nice ones. and mattel does not sell the custom wheel pack anymore, they had a sale like a month back and sold the remaining stock...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts