Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When is the 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird coming? This would make a good companion to the 1969 Charger Daytona as well as both being the best candidates for a 2 pk - Mopar Aero Warriors.

Regarding the Motor World series when will the following models be issued :

Mercedes-Benz GL, Mercedes Benz E, 2002 Ford Thunderbird, Alfa Romeo 1300 Junior, Land Rover LR3, Lamborghini Gallardo Polizia, Toyota RAV4, Ford Focus Cabrolet and the old, brass era models from between 1907 - 1914.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Unless GL wants to pay Warner Bros' licensing fee, I doubt they'll be making a Superbird. The JL new casting is really nice, though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think that Tweety bird logo is on any of the roadrunners they have done, so there isn't any licensing fee. The Superbird has the logo on the back of it so they would have to pay the fee.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Tweety Bird?!? What does Tweety Bird have to do with this??
He's referring to WB's Road Runner character. It's an interesting question on whether the diecast maker would have to pay the licensing fee to reproduce a vintage vehicle that had the character as part of its deco. My thoughts would be yes, but what do I know.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tweety Bird?!? What does Tweety Bird have to do with this??
Sorry I mentioned the wrong bird. I meant that cartoon roadrunner that is on the back wing of the Superbird. It's likeness is owned by Warner Bros. so Greenlight would have to pay a license fee to use it on the car, just like Chrysler likely would have had to put it on the real car.

I can just imagine the outcry from collectors if Greenlight produced the car without the logo.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sorry I mentioned the wrong bird. I meant that cartoon roadrunner that is on the back wing of the Superbird. It's likeness is owned by Warner Bros. so Greenlight would have to pay a license fee to use it on the car, just like Chrysler likely would have had to put it on the real car.

I can just imagine the outcry from collectors if Greenlight produced the car without the logo.
I don't think it's an issue of licensing. GL would just produce the car w/o the RR on the rear wing. After all, they didn't put the rolling RR on the doors or the stationary one on the trunk on any of the Road Runners they've released thus far. I haven't heard any outcry from the Mopar faithful on these.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I remember there was plenty of discussion about the bird logo when Ertl lost their license on it and JL was able to secure it on their newer Superbird release.
I personally would be very disappointed with a Superbird release that didn't have the logo's on it.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I personally would be very disappointed with a Superbird release that didn't have the logo's on it.
I can certainly appreciate that, as would I if I were a hard-core Mopar guy. Yet I don't recall an uproar over the Road Runner not appearing on any of the multiple releases that is its namesake.

All I'm saying is I doubt the licensing issue is the reason for GL not releasing a Superbird thus far.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Chrysler originally paid WB $50,000 for the rights to use the RR likeness. In 1968, they sold 45,000 units so a little over a buck a car was the net cost. I'm sure GL has lawyers versed in laws regarding trade marks, etc. However, in addition to any licenseing cost would be the costs of reworking the 70 "B" body casting. Different front end and roof. Also limited ability to offer variations of the casting.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't think that Tweety bird logo is on any of the roadrunners they have done, so there isn't any licensing fee. The Superbird has the logo on the back of it so they would have to pay the fee.
There are 2 different Road Runner cartoon characters that came on the cars.

One of them called the Road Runner Superbird depicts the Road Runner holding a racing helmet. This one appeared only on the Superbird on the side of the rear wing and over the headlight on the drivers side.

The second one was the Road Runner in full sprint with the dust trails behind him. This one appeared on the "regular" Road Runner. 2 of them that come to mind immediately produced by GreenLight with the Road Runner on the cars are the County Roads '70 Road Runner 'vert in purple and the 5 pack K-Mart set in green.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Here is the Road Runner character on my car

·
Registered
401 Posts
There are 2 different Road Runner cartoon characters that came on the cars.

One of them called the Road Runner Superbird depicts the Road Runner holding a racing helmet. This one appeared only on the Superbird on the side of the rear wing and over the headlight on the drivers side.

The second one was the Road Runner in full sprint with the dust trails behind him. This one appeared on the "regular" Road Runner. 2 of them that come to mind immediately produced by GreenLight with the Road Runner on the cars are the County Roads '70 Road Runner 'vert in purple and the 5 pack K-Mart set in green.

You're right that roadrunner is on the car. It's pretty small though, no wonder I didn't see it before.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
There are some JL Superbirds without the logo on the wing , & it definately looks like something is missing !!
I think there may have been a few of the Ertl 1/18s made without the logo too , when they were having problems with Warner Brothers over the use / cost of that logo ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts