Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have resisted starting to collect and build the old Aurora Prehistoric Scenes kits, as much as I loved these when I was a kid. They were undoubtedly my second favorite line of models, right after the Aurora monsters. Unfortunately, I just found it too prohibitively expensive to try to acquire the whole line via eBay!.

But with the recent (and upcoming releases) of RM's re-issues of several PS kits, along with Moebius Models' forthcoming Jungle Swamp re-issue (BTW, awesome news there!), I'm thinking of diving headfirst into attempting to acquire and build all of these great kits again, sort of fulfilling another childhood dream (much like being able to build all of the Aurora monsters again). By my count, half or so of the kits will soon be available as re-issues, meaning I will only have to chase down eight or so of the originals (maybe fewer, if Moebius comes through on the possibility of further re-pops beyond the JS kit).

But my question to all of the PS enthusiasts here on the forum is how do you guys build these kits? Do you just do the snap togethers to preserve the original "spirit" of the kits, even if that doesn't result in the best finished look? Or do you go the extra step of gluing and puttying these, for a more seriously modeled look?

I'm not sure which direction I want to go with these when I start to build them. I think part of the reason I've put off trying to collect the PS series was that I knew I would have to make this "tortured" decision.

But I am curious what the majority opinion about the best approach to this quandary is...

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I think this has sort of been touched on in the "To build or not to build rare/expensive/"collectable" kits discussion. It basically depends on your personal choice.

In the 'build or collect' issue, I build ! I'm not a "collecter", I enjoy the building and painting. So the answer to you is: WHAT do YOU want to do? How much work do you want to put into them, and what results do you want?

I have a few PS's, pre Bird, Sabertooth, etc. and I intend to putty and do them as well as I can, but that is just my preference.
Dabbler

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I generally do it one of two ways.
First. The easy and quick way (for me) is to glue and putty the seams on things like arms, legs, tails, bodies, etc. But still leave the moveable joints alone so the kit can be posed and repositioned.

The other way is to go all out and glue and putty all the joints.

click image to go to a whole page of pics for this

I am currently working on the Allosaurus and have a bunch of in progress pics up as I work on it.
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/mykits/myallo.htm

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I've done it both ways. Personally I like the look of the movable joints because it's old school. Try it both ways with a cheap re-issue, but more importantly, have fun doing it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you want the professional look: Glue and putty!
If you want the retro look: snap-it!
If you buy pre-built: Most decisions are made for you!
If you're collecting: Leave 'em alone!
If it's for you: Have fun!

I'm a collector but for myself. I share the pics of what I have with others on the boards but I do it it for me!!! Not for someone down the road in my future!
So I snap, glue and/or putty what I want! remember though, gluing is more permanent than snapping!?

Enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work, Tay666. And nice step-by-step - very informative.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. But I think I miscommunicated my real issue re this topic, so let me try again. I would prefer to do glue-and-putty on these. So I am wondering how easy is it to actually do that with the moveable joints and other snap-seams on these kits? I am imagining that it is probably not so easy as a glue-ready kit.

I like to try to avoid doing extra texture work on puttied areas if at all possible, which is usually the case with tight seams requiring little putty. My (admittedly fading) childhood memories of some of these kits was that they had some pretty big and tapering gaps where the joints were articulated to the body, and likewise even some of the regular snap-together seams on bodies or other surfaces were pretty loose fitting. I'm just curious what the experiences of you guys who elected to do glue and putty work on these kits were like - are any of them particularly challenging in that respect? Or did they all fit and fill together more smoothly than I am imagining? Any special types of putty that work better with these types of "not intended to be glued" joints?

The look of Tay666's is something like what I'd ideally like to accomplish in terms of a finish, if not quite as contest-ready.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Im more of a builder of the series and also like the moveable parts on them so snapping them together whether reissue or original is fine by me no putty no glue and then try and give it the most realistic paint job as possible to it :) .

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Like Dan's excellent Tar Pit shows, a paint job transcends most seam work, especially on the PS line.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
For most of the seams, they don't look bad just glued.
That is for the sub-assemblies like arms, legs, etc.
The way I do it is lay a bead of glue around the entire part. Snap it together and clamp or rubber band it together until the glue cures. When done right you should get a little glue squished out of the joint. I just scrape it off with the edge of a knife and the seam is pretty smooth.
I just go the extra yard with the joint as that is what I enjoy doing with them. It is a personal challenge that brings me great satisfaction.

For the moveable joints, it is hit and miss as to how tight they are.
Look at some of the others I have built to get an idea.
http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/mykits/index.html
The tiger alone was done with movable legs. They don't look bad at all.
The spiked and trike aren't bad either. More noticable, but with a good paint job they still look great as is.
The armored dino took a cert at WF with the movable joints left alone.

To get a better idea of how tight the joints actually are, look at the mammoth my daughter built years ago.
http://www.tylisaari.com/models/britny/mammoth.htm
No putty at all in that kit.
Yes, you can see the seams, but I have seen glue kits with worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts