Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys...I am sure you have addressed this question before, but I am far to lazy to research! So for both Russ and Rob, "edcumacate" me! :)

As I do business with both of you, I have often wondered where you picked up your names. Mac's Little Cars and Milezone's Toys. So what's the story?

While we are at it...Ted, what type of engineering do you do? Besides making COOL haulers for us lately! I have a son going into engineering, and maybe he needs a job! :tongue:

Ward

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
69Stang said:
OK, guys...I am sure you have addressed this question before, but I am far to lazy to research! So for both Russ and Rob, "edcumacate" me! :)

As I do business with both of you, I have often wondered where you picked up your names. Mac's Little Cars and Milezone's Toys. So what's the story?

While we are at it...Ted, what type of engineering do you do? Besides making COOL haulers for us lately! I have a son going into engineering, and maybe he needs a job! :tongue:

Ward
I have not been asked that question in awhile. :)

All started back when the internet was not in existance. Ok gonna show the age here, and some will have no clue what I am about to talk about. :)

Back in the old days of BBS running (old school internet) I used to run a BBS called The Cat's Eye. The BBS ran for quite some time until the invention of the internet, which killed the BBS days.

So the name Milezone actually came from my handle back then, no one knew my real name, they only knew me as Milezone.

Next was AOL, and I started my first website threw them just showing off my collection as well as having a banner swap program, called Milezone's Banner Swap. :)

Of course as you all know the collection gree quite large, we opened our official store in 1999, and well, there you have it.

I never would have guessd we would receive the traffic we do now. Back in 1999 I was lucky to get 10 visitors a day. last month we received over 100,000 visitors and netting close to 1 million hits. WOW!

Our next step I am sure will be to go internet only, as we seem to be the last ones around to have a brick and motor store these days. But kinda scary to give up the store just yet.

Pretty boring huh? :)

Russ

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hell, back before the internet, they had CB clubs and you only had to push one key...lol Anyone ever play CB tag, you usually had a chick in the car and made out all night. Like anyone was going to find you anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
HonCBRF4i said:
Hell, back before the internet, they had CB clubs and you only had to push one key...lol Anyone ever play CB tag, you usually had a chick in the car and made out all night. Like anyone was going to find you anyway.
And if I remember right from the CB days. The chicks with the hottest voices on the the CB usually ended up being fat chicks or butt ugly.:eek: In my adventures with it anyway!!!!:lol: :devil:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted,

Just giving you a hard time concerning hiring my son! He's just now getting started in school (having to pick bewteen Tennessee Tech or Virgina Tech), and not sure what field he will lean on, but most likley Mechanical Engineering. He thinks right now that he wants to work for a firm and do a bit of travel, so he's keeping his options open ( smarter than I was!).

I love the sound of the name...Burch Engineering...sounds HUGE! ( and it looks good on a truck!)

And Russ...you are old! snicker....Did the name Milezone have a special meaning back then, or just sound cool? Of which it is.....I am also interested in the future of the store. I just hate that the hobby has changed so much in the last few years. WHY? was it the internet? Ebay? Just a change in the buying public?

I so miss my local stores! There is not a single store left in our area! From 8 or 9 free standing die-cast shops to only one guy at a local flea market. When Nascar quit selling....it strangled the whole market! It seems that the Nascar sales dollars keep everthing else afloat ( around here anyway!)

I so hope nothing but success finds you at the store.

Ward

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
69Stang said:
Ted,
And Russ...you are old! snicker....Did the name Milezone have a special meaning back then, or just sound cool? Of which it is.....I am also interested in the future of the store. I just hate that the hobby has changed so much in the last few years. WHY? was it the internet? eBay!
? Just a change in the buying public?

I so miss my local stores! There is not a single store left in our area! From 8 or 9 free standing die-cast shops to only one guy at a local flea market. When Nascar quit selling....it strangled the whole market! It seems that the Nascar sales dollars keep everthing else afloat ( around here anyway!)

I so hope nothing but success finds you at the store.

Ward
The store is actually doing quite well. But the hours (9 to 9 Mon - Sat and 10 - 5 on Sun) and the overhead are the kickers. Not to mention you have a Wal-Mart in every corner of the world now to compete with. It's just tough for us on the hours, the overhead, and the big box compitition.
With the success of the website, it is getting to the point where the site will be self sustaining on it's own for us to be happy with the sole income of the internet.

But you never know, I have been talking of closing the store for 3 years, and very year I keep it open. :)

Russ

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Ward

Mac's Little Cars, Inc..... my name is Rob McIntosh, so Mac's... and Little Cars...well, I think we all know that part and Incorporated of course.

Teddy,

I am a Professional Land Surveyor in Illinois and Wisconsin, not a PE, but I am the Director Of Land Surveying for a Civil Engineering/Land Surveying firm in the Chicago Suburbs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts