Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you mount the brass stand on your Spindrift? I want to use the same way to mount my Jupiter 2 when it comes out.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
The stand's solid brass rod fits into a 1" section of hollow brass rod secured within the hull of the model. It's been a while, but IIRC I epoxied four or five 1/32"-thick, 1"X1"-wide squares of sheet styrene together, drilled a hole in the center, and fit this styrene "jacket" snugly over the hollow tube to secure/ reinforce it within the model. Epoxy was used to affix the simple but effective armature to the (inside) bottom of the lower hull. A gob of epoxy capped with styrene was used to plug the end of the hollow rod, thus preventing the solid one from passing all the way through once the model was mounted.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stand's solid brass rod fits into a 1" section of hollow brass rod secured within the hull of the model. It's been a while, but IIRC I epoxied four or five 1/32"-thick, 1"X1"-wide squares of sheet styrene together, drilled a hole in the center, and fit this styrene "jacket" snugly over the hollow tube to secure/ reinforce it within the model. Epoxy was used to affix the simple but effective armature to the (inside) bottom of the lower hull. A gob of epoxy capped with styrene was used to plug the end of the hollow rod, thus preventing the solid one from passing all the way through once the model was mounted.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I also wanted to put my Spirit of St. Louis on one too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts