Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ive been trying to fix up my Enterprise D and Voyager models from AMt Ertl And Revell Monagram and the D model is 18 inches long and i found out the scale is 1/1400 scale so im trying to find out if anyone knows the size of the old Revell Monagram Voyager model and its scale?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If you're talking about the large Voyager kit, not the smaller one that came w/the Kazon ship and Maquis Raider, the scale is 1/677. There were also two versions of that kit. The first kit was a basic sort of deal. The second included pieces for an open shuttlebay, new window pieces, decals for behind the windows, an expanded assembly & painting guide and a nice die-cast collectors pin.

If you're curious about the scales of any other Trek kits, check out the Starship Modeler Star Trek Model Listing by scale.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Griffworks said:
If you're curious about the scales of any other Trek kits, check out the Starship Modeler Star Trek Model Listing by scale.
Yeah, except I think they're off on a few things.
Nothing is 1/650 scale and there are a few others.

As for the smaller Voyager kit (in the three pack with the Kazon and the Maquis) The Voyager (coincidentally or not coincidentally) is very close/if not 1/1,400 scale.

And a little bit of a stretch, I feel the small maqius and kazon from that set are scale to the larger voyager kit.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
ClubTepes said:
Yeah, except I think they're off on a few things.
Nothing is 1/650 scale and there are a few others.
I update that list for John and have kept it at 1/650 scale, tho I know they're actually 1/635 scale. The reason? Quite simply because too many folks emailed John immediately after I changed it two years ago telling him that the list was wrong.... :rolleyes:
As for the smaller Voyager kit (in the three pack with the Kazon and the Maquis) The Voyager (coincidentally or not coincidentally) is very close/if not 1/1,400 scale.
Not sure what you're on about here as the smaller R-M Voyager is on the list for 1/1400 scale....
And a little bit of a stretch, I feel the small maqius and kazon from that set are scale to the larger voyager kit.
The Maquis most definitely is not, based off the only really decent visual we get from "The Caretaker" ST:VOY Pilot episode. The Kazon can't be either, as while the larger version of the Kazon ship is bigger than the Voyager herself, their smaller version of that ship is a shuttlecraft-sized vessel that appears to be roughly the size of the Delta Flyer. If you go by visuals, the larger Kazon Raider kit is actually very close to 1/1400 scale.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Griffworks said:
I update that list for John and have kept it at 1/650 scale, tho I know they're actually 1/635 scale. The reason? Quite simply because too many folks emailed John immediately after I changed it two years ago telling him that the list was wrong.... :rolleyes:

Not sure what you're on about here as the smaller R-M Voyager is on the list for 1/1400 scale....

The Maquis most definitely is not, based off the only really decent visual we get from "The Caretaker" ST:VOY Pilot episode. The Kazon can't be either, as while the larger version of the Kazon ship is bigger than the Voyager herself, their smaller version of that ship is a shuttlecraft-sized vessel that appears to be roughly the size of the Delta Flyer. If you go by visuals, the larger Kazon Raider kit is actually very close to 1/1400 scale.
Ok, I don't get it.....People were e:mailing john saying things WERE 1/650 and you went along with it?? I'm just a little confused by the wording.

If its a scale list, and you want it to be credible, shouldn't it be accurate hense 1/635 ?

On Voyager, I wasn't quoting the list, just going from memory.

On the Maquis Raider, I looked it up on the list and you have it at 1/323 scale.
I think I'm really going to have to contest this and even go against some other posted lengths.
You cite the Voyager premire episode for visual reference. There are actually 5 visual references for the size of this ship. 1.) Voyager/Maquis flyby from premiere episode. 2.) Shot of B'Lana and Chekotay sitting about 3-5 feet apart. 3.) Shot from behind Chekotays head looking out a 3 foot wide window.
4.) (From TNG) Same ship flying between warp nacelles of Enterprise 'D'. 5.) Ensign Ro and (some) other Maquis woman also sitting about 3-5 feet apart.

I broke out my copy of the Voyager premiere and looked at the flyby of both Voyager and the Raider in formation. That shot does support the medium kit (from the three ship kit) being approximatly 1/677 scale.

I'm also saying the small micro kit is approx. 1/1400 scale. (This works out well with visual reference of the ship flying between the Warp Nacelles of the Enterprise 'D' when Ensign Ro was stealing medical supplies in a TNG Episode.

I will go so far to say that the large kit (34.3 cm) is approx. 1/144 scale.
The rational for the 1/144 scale is based on the size of the windows on the kit (7.5mm X 3.0mm) with a 1mm window pane. This works well with how close B'lana and Chekotay sit together on the set and the size of the window on the set.
A scale of 1/323 results in a window about 8 feet wide and actors sitting about 9 - 10 feet apart. This is simply unreasonable based on the physical set.
A scale of 1/323 on a 34.3cm kit results in a craft of 110.78 meters long.
Hense that length (110.78) in 1/677 scale results in a model of 16.36cm long which is clearly CLEARLY too big for the flyby shot.

110.78 meters and another length I saw of 80 meters are simply IMHO both to big.

But, if you call the big kit 1/144 scale, the window size works out well with the physical set and the other two models (medium and small) work out close to the 1/677 scale and the 1/1400 scale.

I'm not saying its EXACTLY 1/144 but it falls into a very close range where the other two kits fit closely to the other scales.
Heres the breakdown.

Large Monogram Kit (34.3cm), if 1/144 then 49.392 meters.
Medium Kit - (3 ship set) (8.45cm), if 1/677 then 57.20 meters.
Smallest Monogram Kit (4.8 cm), if 1/1,400 then 67.2 meters.

Since the Voyager flyby shot does in fact support a craft in this size range and the TNG shot does also support a craft in that range, then the large kit has to be closer to 1/144 than the 1/323 scale.

I'm going to do some screen grabs, but it won't be for a few days, and if you want griff, I'll start a new thread to allow this one to continue on its intended course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts