Hobbyist Forums banner

How could we handle absentee bidding for the Charity Auction?

• Proxy Bidding (like Ebay, kinda)

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Mail in sealed bids

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Special Online Only Lots

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other/Not Listed

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to get some opiniosns on the possibility of have some sort of mechanism in place for people who can't make it to Fest this year to still be able to bid on special items they would like to have from the Logan Cneter Charity Auction. If you choose Other/Not Listed please post what idea you may have. I would assume any Proxy bidding would have to be me as I couldn't ask anybody else to take on that work. Special Online Only Auctions may not have the items a person wants, so we may be back to how to do bidding at Fest again

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I think it is great BUT here are some things to think about. First, you would have to have the lots posted prior to the event and nothing could be added or subtracted once these lots were made otherwise you create yourself problems from those who are submitting bids. I can hear it now, if I knew that "blank" item was or was not added, I would have bid less/more. You want tp protect yourself from that situation. That means most lots will be created at the show due to the fact that you will be getting donated items that day and some people may back out of "forget" to bring what was promised.

Second, do you place that proxy bid as an opening bid or do you place it only after a bid is made and continue to bid for them until their pre-assigned ceiling figure is met. It wouldn't be fair to simply hold the bid and apply it after someone else thought they won only to hear you had a higher pre-bid.

Third, how do you square up with Logan that day? If a proxy bid wins, you would have to collect the money by mail and then mail Logan the amount. This now keeps it from being a one day "clean" donation to the Center. If the winner decides they don't want the winning lot, we all look a little chumpy.

How did you plan to work these issues out keeping in mind you are also running a vendor booth. This would require some time management on your part, that's for sure.

My only suggestion is to help keep the above situations from happening is to have a couple pre-defined lots that could be advertised for those not attending to bid on.

Others?

Mark

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
.....and you will need massive quantities of beer on Saturday night just to help wind down. You will be one busy boy. Lets see, running a multi-tabled sales area, checking in and catogorizing the model kit contest. Supervising the "Make It Take It" program, making the lots for the auction, running the auction, collecting the money, judging the model kits, trying to win a PSR car, trying to buy/sell/trade for yourself, racing slots, pool cleaning.

How do you keep the "S" on your chest so clean?LOL

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MARKHOS said:
I think it is great BUT here are some things to think about. First, you would have to have the lots posted prior to the event and nothing could be added or subtracted once these lots were made otherwise you create yourself problems from those who are submitting bids. I can hear it now, if I knew that "blank" item was or was not added, I would have bid less/more. You want tp protect yourself from that situation. That means most lots will be created at the show due to the fact that you will be getting donated items that day and some people may back out of "forget" to bring what was promised.

The lots will be the lots - they would be finalized on Friday and would not be changed... nothing I did not have "in hand" would be listed. Additional lots would be made up and the list may be updated for the online people to see of course there are advantages to actually being there - I am bringing my laptop and will have internet access at the hotel

Second, do you place that proxy bid as an opening bid or do you place it only after a bid is made and continue to bid for them until their pre-assigned ceiling figure is met. It wouldn't be fair to simply hold the bid and apply it after someone else thought they won only to hear you had a higher pre-bid.

Nope, just like Ebay, I would have to keep the bids updated as we went along.Proxy bid would have to have a minimum start - say $4 or something

Third, how do you square up with Logan that day? If a proxy bid wins, you would have to collect the money by mail and then mail Logan the amount. This now keeps it from being a one day "clean" donation to the Center. If the winner decides they don't want the winning lot, we all look a little chumpy.

How do I square up with Logan that day if a winning bidder backs out and doesn't pay or just plain disappears? Absentee bidders would have to pay by Paypal or perhaps send a deposit prior to their acceptance for bidding, don't know, that's why I am asking.

How did you plan to work these issues out keeping in mind you are also running a vendor booth. This would require some time management on your part, that's for sure.

Well, Sherry and Amanda are running the vendor booth for the most part.

My only suggestion is to help keep the above situations from happening is to have a couple pre-defined lots that could be advertised for those not attending to bid on.

I do like this idea the most and with my having a laptop there, attendees would also be able to bid from the Fest

Others?

Mark
Next??

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MARKHOS said:
.....and you will need massive quantities of beer on Saturday night just to help wind down.Actually, I don't drink... maybe massive quantities of Diet Mt Dew You will be one busy boy. Lets see, running a multi-tabled sales area Sherry and Amanda, checking in and catogorizing the model kit contest haven't gotten any responses yet. Supervising the "Make It Take It" program just making sure that hoosier and Zeb don't eat all the paste, making the lots for the auction should be done before most people get to South Bend, running the auction my primary duty, collecting the money or breaking legs, whichever, judging the model kits again, not a problem, trying to win a PSR carwell, that will keep me busy, I think, trying to buy/sell/trade for yourself I have all the night to do that, racing slots hopefully, pool cleaning.

How do you keep the "S" on your chest so clean?LOL

I think its "Shout"

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I was playing devil's advocate. I knew you'd have this down cold. I reckon' you have now answered most questions without any hassles except the pool cleaning remark. You totally left that unaddressed........I did say unaddressed not undressed.LOL

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MARKHOS said:
you have now answered most questions without any hassles except the pool cleaning remark. You totally left that unaddressed........I did say unaddressed not undressed.LOL

DAMN!!!! I forgot about the pool cleaning!!!

darn! darn!darn!

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Keeping updates on prices could be a daunting task with all you are involved in. Sealed bids would be the easiest, by far. Suppose every item(just suppose) had it's amount bid up 5 minutes before time ends? Would there be time to actually update all the current amounts? There is an ending time right? Knowing there are sealed bids at the end may cause amounts to be bid higher. That could be good for the charity.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All lots will not end at the same time, lots will be staggered throughout the day, so most likely there would only be 4-5 to deal with.

BUT, this is why I asked, to get answers out here that I did not think of!!!

The sealed bid could be the answer though.. kinda like a snipe at the end of an Ebay auction, except you would know that there was going to be a bid at the end

Sealed bids could be submitted with a check also and then payment could be made and difference refunded after the auction or check returned or something

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Sounds good but would you have to get M.O.s to return the diff? Write a check out yourself for the diff? Even this causes work, it would seem. The other thing would be the stamps cost for returning.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom

All returns would be handled through Mac's Little Cars company checks. Everything involved in the Charity Auction takes work, I knew that going in.. the question becomes how hard am I willing to work to help those who can't attend be able to have a chance to get something special. Once i have decided, it is up to each person to decide if they can live with the parameters I have outlined

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
Ok, that works.....like someone else posted....where is your Superman outfit, LOL. Still seems the sealed "SNIPE" mail in bids would be the easiest and like I said could up the final amounts. The goal being to maximize the total amount taken in for the center, that may be the way to go. As long as everyone knows the items could be "SNIPED" hightens the auctions atmosphere.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That could definately be an added bonus for Logan Center

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Appreciate the thought, since I think I started this mess - I think it would be pretty cool to be able to bid on a couple of lots via the internet, since I'm not going to be able to go in person. If not during the LF, maybe have something leading up to the actual event so there have already been some sales made by the start of LF. That way, those lucky enough to be able to be there won't be left out, and poor shmucks like me will at least feel like they had a shot.

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well,

it looks like proxy bidding is winning, but with the limited number of responses, I may just figure out what would be easiest for me :D

There will be something to help the HobbyTalk people who can't make it, probably the weekend before Fest so that the paypal payment can be made and I will have the money to give to Logan Center at Fest.

Keep watching...... I will post more info as I figure this out

Thanks to all who voiced an opinion, I appreciate it

Rob

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
uno,,,its neat all this proxy bidding and all but what happens when someone places there proxy bid and doesnt pay?,,,,,,cause mark my words ,,,,,that is whats gonna happen,,,,,,,,

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
oh i know what,,,,have the proxy bidders send the money order for there proxy bid with the bid,,,,,,and just mail the non winners money orders back to them,,,,we trust you to do that,,,,,,

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dammitman said:
oh i know what,,,,have the proxy bidders send the money order for there proxy bid with the bid,,,,,,and just mail the non winners money orders back to them,,,,we trust you to do that,,,,,,
Larry,

exactly....

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts