Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that the LR shock is mounted in front of the rear axle where-as the RR is behind it?

With the LR shock in that location doesn't it have to work harder to push down on the swing arm? With the shock there, isn't it effectively making that lever shorter taking away some mechanical advantage?

·
Turning Left
323 Posts
I think the shock works the same amount either on the front or the back..... The stroke travel is probably the reason for it being in front since the left rear has the most travel.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tanner is correct. The LR shock is mounted forward to allow for more down travel out of the shock. This way, as the car rolls over onto the RF, the tire doesnt come off the ground. The downside is that it has much more leverage on that spring compared to the RR which means you need to play with spring rates to find your desired balance! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
This has been explained to me before... with a little different wording but the same concept.

Has anyone run the shock behind the rear axle or further in up front on the trailing arm? If so on either, what was the result?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah that belongs to a good friend of mine. I dont think it really changes the car that much but the one thing it does do is make it easier for playing with spring rates because they have the same amount of leverage. This also applies to the shock oil. Of course, that is just my opinion!

·
topdog of blackflags
2,473 Posts
That car has a few mod's on it from what I have seen , It is a fast car ,
bob, you have worked with this setup before! yer not a stranger to this shock setup.......! i don't think, it's been yer first rodeo with this setup!...lol! educate him bud....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I being a WCM dealer ,dont stray to far from what the Manufacturer sends the the chassis out as , With that out of the way. I seen that car turn some very fast lap times, During an open race. Most of us where running a late mod stlye body [high down force ] ,He was using a chevy body with a wicker bill on the front and a tall rear spoiler , most of us was truning 5.6-5.8 sec laps,, he was there plus some faster,laps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts