Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some customs lately and have been having a hard time getting the finish right on the paint. I have been using testors metal flake and krylon spray paint. I prime them and then do a few coats and wet sand with 600 grit in between coats but still end up with rather dull finish that us not anywhere near factory quality. I seem to have a big problem with orange peel. Can anybody give me direction on how to achieve a better shine? Do I need to be using an airbrush? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well i have painted a car in awhile but everything you seem to be doing is pretty correct. My only advice ia to do a couple coats of clear to make it POP!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Humidity can play a factor and also you have to have alot of "PATIENCE" I as well are always in a rush to see the finished product!! good luck if all else fails try try again:wave:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Yes, humidity does play a MAJOR factor...

But if the weather in your area is calm, try this:

If painting with krylon - give it a day or so, then clear-coat with a can of krylon Triple-Thick Clear-Glaze, found at most stores...

Testors - clear-coat with Testors Gloss clear-coating, then wait a day or two. It will still be "curing" but top off with the aforementioned Clear-Glaze...apply LIGHTLY at first, in small even strokes. I say LIGHTLY because a heavy application may cause the paint to "lift". Do about 3-4 light shots, and you should see some glossing.

Leave it alone for a day or so. If any dullness, you can do another shot with the krylon Clear-Glaze. Once you are satisfied with the results, give it about 48-72 hours to cure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check out-OLD MAN MODELS-Don Yost. I purchased his video on air brushing. I started building models in the mid 50`s, after a 24 year run at R/C racing, I got back into the car models. His video answers all the issues. If you don`t have an air brush, check out TCP GLOBAL, or Hobby Link, you can get a compressor and air brush started set for under $200

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Future is a very good gloss finish. Make sure though you have the finish coat the way you want it. Future is acrylic. There's no going back with enamel or lacquer once you use it. At least that has been my experience. I like the Triple Thick Clear Glaze too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts