Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got in a tremendously detailed figure and was expecting it to be resin but I'm pretty sure it's porcelain. I've never painted on porcelain before.

I say it's porcelain, not sure, but it's not resin, not styrene and not vinyl. The only other thing I can think of is porcelain. Or, what do you think it might be?

My question is, does anyone know if one primer is better for this material than another? Or can I just use my old favorite, Floquil primer?

Any advise would sure be appreaciated.

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have done 2 porcelain figures in the distance past (when I had a hobby studio) :( and all I used was automotive primer on it from a spray can.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Primer is what I picked up at a store called Benny's. It's a chain store.

hang on.....

Went to find a can....

It is called Brite Touch and contains ketones and toluene

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you got through painting did you see 'lots of pretty colors'? Then pass out? :lol:

Thanks very much man for taking the time to look it up!

hal9001-

·
Registered
581 Posts
You have a cold cast porcelain kit. Dark Horse put out a bunch of them awhile back featuring the Universal Monsters; also, Sideshow put out a "Schlitzie" from the 1932 film "Freaks" and Polar Lights produced a behemoth 1/4 scale Wolfman that everyone should own if they're into Universal at all.

I've used regular Krylon primer on them with no problems.

I think the Thailand question was referring to the possibility of a recast, but I can't see the pirates bothering with cold cast porcelain.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
hal,

Just to add to what everybody else has said, cold-cast porcelain will accept pretty much any type of paint. As with any other model, you'll want to prepare the surface by washing it in soap (Simple Green is great for this) and water to remove any oily mold relase agents that could prevent your primer from adhering properly. Then have at it with whatever paint you want.

I hope you'll post photos of your finished work - what is it, BTW?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mark, let me first say I DO NOT have a fixaxtion with me mum like this poor fellow! Besides, she's still with the living.

Got this from KitKong's Model Mansion. The scult is what turned me on about it, besides the sick freakyness. Not my usual fair but just couldn't pass it up. I've recently been collecting Moebiuss' movie monsters so I'm in the zone for freaks and felt this one would fit right in.

I've got to learn much more about painting figures before tackeling this one. I want to do a good job of it! I can only hope mine turns out half as good as this one.

Thanks for the info guys! Now that I know it's cold cast porcelain it's good to know I can use my beloved Floquil primer.

hal9001-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Just one thing about cold cast porcelain: It's easy to break! Be careful.
I have a CCP Conan kit from Needful Things that I managed to break all his fingers off during painting.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just one thing about cold cast porcelain: It's easy to break! Be careful.
I have a CCP Conan kit from Needful Things that I managed to break all his fingers off during painting.
John, it came in broken! He's going to replace though. I was a little dissapointed, I thought it was going to be resin.

The tombstone worries me, not much to glue too. Did yours have any parts to glue? If so, what glue did you use?

Infact, this questions goes to anyone reading this as to which glue is best? It's only got three pieces, the base/figure, shovel and the tombstone.

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Kitkong is a great person to deal with.... has nothing to do with re-casting what so ever.

But this stuff does break easy if dropped, which is why I have to really like the subject to buy a cold cast piece.

Now if you have to pin it... you will need a heat gun. Heat the ends and slowly (that's slowly and carefully) your holes and use ca or what I prefer epoxie to cement them together.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Unless it's shattered into lots of little pieces, it should be easy enough to fix. Cold cast porcelain breaks extremely cleanly. The pieces usually fit back together perfectly with a bit of super glue.

I knocked a finger off of my 1/4 scale PL Wolfman while washing it. It fell down the drain of the kitchen sink. I unscrewed the trap with a pot underneath it, and when the water and grime poured out, I heard a "ting" in the pot. There was the finger; it glued back into place perfectly.

I love cold cast. It feels so permanent, like a museum piece.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Mark, let me first say I DO NOT have a fixaxtion with me mum like this poor fellow!
hal,

I never said you did - although your opening sentence does sound a little like you protesteth too much...:freak: This is a neato keeno model, open to a lot of interpretaion. So I look forward to seeing yours.

John P said:
...I have a CCP Conan kit from Needful Things that I managed to break all his fingers off during painting.
I've had a similar problem, John, for which there's an easy fix: hold the brush in your hands instead of between your toes. :hat:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark, tell me if I'm weird or not. I showed this figure to my mother today on Mothers Day! Was that wrong? :lol: She didn't know what to say. :eek: Told her it came in too late to get it painted to give to her as a gift.

My sister-in-law just sat there in stunned silence....

Nah, my mon took it all in stride. She said as long as I don't get any ideas from it once she's gone. :freak: She's a great gal.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting anthing when I said "I DO NOT have a fixation". Should have put a smiley face aftewards. Sometimes my 'typing' sounds serious when actually I'm jokeing! I do the samething with my mouth. :eek:

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
Mark, tell me if I'm weird or not...Sometimes my 'typing' sounds serious when actually I'm jokeing!
Oh, hal, I don't think anybody who reads your posts needs me to say whether you're weird or not. :rolleyes:

Seriously, a guy who can spell the word 'weird' correctly can't be sniffing cold cast porcelain all the time... :drunk:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Hal, during your build let us know the does and don't for your kit. I have a porcelain John Wayne that I have been afraid to build just sitting in the closet for years now. Porcelain scares me.

Happy Aurora Trails!
Chinxy
! :dude:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts