Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past month or so when I am fortunate enough to see any new JL product on the shelves, it's consistantly the same in each & every store (mostly WMs). These are the only ones I ever see: :confused:

MuscleCars R12 : Buick GS & Olds 442
Pony Power R1 : Mustang 2+2 & Javelin
Classic Gold R33 : Cadillac & Futura
Johnny Retro R1 : Talladega & Camaro

The only entire set I've seen on the pegs at one time is "Coke drive to the beach"

I have yet to see any of the "Gold Series" cars anywhere :(
As far as the above mentioned series are concerned, are the others in these sets in much more demand & are gone from the pegs so quickly, or is only half of each series being distributed to the stores?

I can see why so many of you regularly buy from OLDs nowadays.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
its because they are ordering the CARS Assortment, not a full series.

Although i do know that one of my local WM's just recently got the entire rls of retro rods, classic gold, and muscle cars just recently.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My Wal-Mart got a second batch of Lightnings last week, and they had more models in each of those series. I picked up 4 new cars including the 72 Firebird, the 69 Firebird, and most notably, the 50 Oldsmobile. Of course, they also upped the price another $.20, to $4.44.
A couple of weeks ago I found a few of the new Gold series, but I only picked up the green Mustang.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Hey FlOYDFROG, that is the EXACT same cars I have ever seen in the wild. But I have not seen the Coke cars. I have wondered why it was always the same cars from stop to stop myself.

I stop and look A LOT! But have only purchased 3 new cars in the stores since they have been released . What's that, since early December? Thank goodness for our OLD's, in fact I have orders in with both Rob and Rich right now!

I purchased my new GL MCG set from Rob, but have bought 5 or 6 more in Kmart since then because they were available. But I can't find ANY new JL's but for the ones you listed.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
scrambler81 said:
My Wal-Mart got a second batch of Lightnings last week, and they had more models in each of those series. I picked up 4 new cars including the 72 Firebird, the 69 Firebird, and most notably, the 50 Oldsmobile. Of course, they also upped the price another $.20, to $4.44.
A couple of weeks ago I found a few of the new Gold series, but I only picked up the green Mustang.
well, atleast its not just JL's going up, Jada has increased their prices too now.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I've only seen the CARS Assortment at WM and a couple Targets had some. I have not seen any other release anywhere in this area on the pegs to this point in time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
scrambler81 said:
Of course, they also upped the price another $.20, to $4.44.
I've switched to GL. Alot of people have for that matter. There only $4.00 and the company seems to be alot like the early Playing Mantis comp. They seem to care about collectors. Great customer service, limited, numbered, and new castings starting to pop up. Reminds me of the good old days.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Camaros said:
I've switched to GL. Alot of people have for that matter. There only $4.00 and the company seems to be alot like the early Playing Mantis comp. They seem to care about collectors. Great customer service, limited, numbered, and new castings starting to pop up. Reminds me of the good old days.
How does GL care about collectors? They ran that survey contest during their lull in new product. I never saw any results from it. That would have been interesting. I still see more input from RC2 employees in the various websites than I do GL. I don't think GL is anything like the old Playing Mantis.
Outside of the numbered castings and promo car offerings I can't see any real big difference between the two present companies.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Camaros said:
I have picked up some GLs, and I'll keep an eye out for new models that appeal to me, but my heart is with Johnny Lightning. From the early HOW sets, the Frightning Lightnings, and oddball muscle cars like SC/Ramblers and the Machine, they just came out with stuff that made you stop in your tracks. For a while there it seemed like nothing but Clue, Poker and Coke, but finally some stuff has been showing up that I want to buy again. However, at $4.44 a pop, it may get hard to justify some purchases in my mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts