Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I recently started researching and purchasing a few cars from when I got my first set.
I am interested in knowing how prices for the "redline" cars have changed the last 5years 10 years, etc.

My purpose was to get back what my parents gave away. But am now curious how much the car prices have risen each year.

I know there are variables but looking for a general understanding.

Thank you
Barry

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I think the prices sort of leveled out a few years ago.

Mint cars always get the bucks as well as the odd variations or certain colors.

But I dont really think the prices are rising all that much.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info

I won't concern myself with collecting multiple cars in hope prices wil rise.I'll just stick to finding the 1948 cars that I can remember owning.

Thanks again
Barry

·
Administrator
37,229 Posts
If you can find those 1948 cars that would be something! ;)

As for the '68s it may be hard to collect the exact colors of the cars you had as some of those are rarer then the others, but it can be done - as most of us only had the more common colors. Do you remember exactly whcih ones you had and in what color?

There are only 16 castings fom 1968 so it would be easy to collect all of them for around $150 to $200 in one session on ebay, but if you are patient and dont want a "100 points" car you can easilly do it for under a $100.

Have you found the various internet links to the sweet 16 and wiki pages on them, yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for being interested.

The 1948 cars were my Grandfathers. They were called Luke Warm Wheels made by Muttel.

I did a lot of research before I found this forum. I learned that their were 16 originals.

I found individual sites that collectors run to buy and sell cars. They use
PayPal so I can't get ripped off.

Plus ebay,

Because it is hard to find Canadians who sell Hotwheels, I have to pay higher shipping and import fees. Ebay.ca has mostly American sellers who ship to Canada. I did not realize import fees applied to used goods that are 40 years old. But they do. So I have to add about 24 dollars to each purchase.

I only remember the cool looking cars like the Beatnik Bandit, Silhouette, Deora. And I have no Idea what colours I had. Except some were purple.

So I will over time buy the 16 in what appeals to me. Plus other cars from subsequent years. I saw a photo of the Red Baron and that jogged my memory.
I had one.

I had a case in the shape of a wheel that I kept them in. But I have 2 cars which are in my photos that I put in the top drawer of my dresser that survived. not 1968. a Sizzler and a 1/34 Ford Mark II

Since 1o years ago might have been a good time to collect Hot Wheels for investment, I will be happy with getting my cars back. Don't tell my Father.

He is not sentimental. Maybe that's why I am

Thank you again
Barry

·
Administrator
37,229 Posts
Understand about the additional costs. No family or friends in Detriot or Buffalo - or regular business there?

I was also curious if the additional costs apply from the UK (Britian) as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi

I don't know anyone there. The people I know live much farther and I wouldn't ask them to forward something.

I don't know what the costs would be from the UK but since it is farther I imagine shipping would be as high or higher. And I don't know of any trade agreement with the UK that would eliminate imports costs. Hold on a sec, I will check

I'm back, sorry for the wait. I compared a Python from the U.S, with a one from the UK. About the same condition.
Close in price UK was 19.65 CA and the US car was 20.35

Shipping from UK 8.04 CA From US 10.81 CA

This item did not mention import costs

From the US it is 7.12

If they were both made in the same place so I guess the duty is the same. I will order it and see.

Our dollar is .88 cents U.S Don't understand economics. It was just announced we had a Budget Surplus. I hope that doesn't contravene the rules about politics. I am just complaining about having to pay more for U.S. Goods. It is not a political statement.

Just talking about Hot Wheels

Thanks again
Barry

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I feel for you for the shipping to Canada... sucks.

I also recently went on a quest to find an example of each of the original sweet 16.

I was able to get each of these cars in the pic, over about the last 2 to 3 months, for about just under $10 US per car... (the Camaro doesn't really count, it's a custom)... and I should be receiving the last piece, the Corvette, in the mail tomorrow... obviously, these are not mint, but don't look bad, and have a lot of character to them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Nice Photo. I marked off what I purchased. Only the Beatnik Bandit arrived. I think I will get another as the front wheels are bent inward.

I bought the Silhouette and Deora for a total of 60.38 CA

I bought the Python today from the UK with Button for 28.05 CA Don't know if there will be duty.

I ordered from a collector with Paypal a Red Baron from 1970 as I knew I owned it when I saw it. It is 29 dollars plus shipping and I guess duty.

I think I will stop for awhile. I remember the cool looking concept cars. But not the others.

I also bought a new Back to the future Large Size as it appealed to me.

I like the fact there is a clear plastic box on top of the box with the description. Displaying cars in the regular off the hook packaging isn't attractive.

And I will certainly play with them.

Thank you for the support
Barry

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The axles can be straightened if done carefully. It's especially easy on the older bearing wheel cars since you can pull the wheels off and then have more room to work things back into correct position.

·
Administrator
37,229 Posts
I am sure you have already googled the dozens of you tube videos on straightening axels. And the tool they reference in many of those can easily be replicated. If you dont want to track one down. Good luck - be sure to post up those pics as they come in!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Thanks for being interested.

The 1948 cars were my Grandfathers. They were called Luke Warm Wheels made by Muttel.

I did a lot of research before I found this forum. I learned that their were 16 originals.

I found individual sites that collectors run to buy and sell cars. They use
PayPal so I can't get ripped off.

Plus ebay,

Because it is hard to find Canadians who sell Hotwheels, I have to pay higher shipping and import fees. Ebay.ca has mostly American sellers who ship to Canada. I did not realize import fees applied to used goods that are 40 years old. But they do. So I have to add about 24 dollars to each purchase.

I only remember the cool looking cars like the Beatnik Bandit, Silhouette, Deora. And I have no Idea what colours I had. Except some were purple.

So I will over time buy the 16 in what appeals to me. Plus other cars from subsequent years. I saw a photo of the Red Baron and that jogged my memory.
I had one.

I had a case in the shape of a wheel that I kept them in. But I have 2 cars which are in my photos that I put in the top drawer of my dresser that survived. not 1968. a Sizzler and a 1/34 Ford Mark II

Since 1o years ago might have been a good time to collect Hot Wheels for investment, I will be happy with getting my cars back. Don't tell my Father.

He is not sentimental. Maybe that's why I am

Thank you again
Barry
The larger car in your pic is a Gran Toros.This website is great.They have an interesting history:

http://www.grantoros.com

Never really saw them in the stores when I was a kid.They are cool tho.

One cool thing about hotwheels is that they have an interesting history,and how they have changed with the times over the years.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I did and that tool is unneeded but I haven't gotten down to seriously trying to straighten. I went into our storage room and found many things from that era. All my board games, Battling Tops.
But no Wheel Case. I guess I put in a different place than the games and the games got stored and the Hot Wheels didn't. It really made me sad.

I will post photos when these cars trickle in.

But having depression has tendency to make me sad.

Thanks
Barry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts