Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a KITT,from Knight rider. His car is an Ideal chassis, not TCR however, the chassis is junk and he wants to swap in another slot chassis. Through your experience which would probably be the best?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
actually, a Majorette chassis should work out even better, and you can (sorta) keep it all Ideal. Its a slotted piece made similar to a marchon, uses the same type motor as those or Tomy Turbos. I have that same KITT car myself, Ill see if it works, and if he's interested I prolly have a spare Majorette laying around.

PM sent on this.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Plymouth, I PM'd you with pics and details on this. Ill post it all here so anyone else with the same issue can take note.

Majorette apparently bought the rights to the Ideal slotted and TCR systems sometime in the mid-90s. The chassis Majorette came up with has the same body snap tabs as the later Ideal TCR and slotted chassis but the wheelbase is about 1/16 inch longer for some reason. On most cars, converting to this chassis is as easy as snapping it on, but the front wheels bind in the fenders on the KITT transam. It would need a little shaving in the front fenders for the front wheels to roll freely:

The majorette chassis itself is a bit like a Tomy Turbo in design. They use the same motors and the axle and pinion from a Turbo or Super G+ will accept the Majorette rear wheels and snap right in. This is a good upgrade, since the majorette parts arent quite as precisely made and the tomy pieces are much smoother. To run a majorette chassis on 'regular' track (AFX/Tomy/Tyco/Lifelike) the guidepin has to be swapped since theyre much too thick. These have had T-Jet guidepins grafted on for the right fit. This pic shows the bottom and top views of the Majorette chassis:

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
That's right Majorette... I got them mixed up. I have a few Majorette chassis on Ideal bodies. You can get Ideal guide pins from Tubtrack on ebay and glue them into the Majorette guide slots too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I offered those 2 to Plymouth, but he hasnt gotten back to me. Ill give him a chance. If you search ebay france or U.K. they turn up if you search for TCR.

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
grunge and Jimmy,

You guys are always sharing information freely. Thanks as this is a great idea.

Bob...thanks for sharron...zilla

1 - 8 of 8 Posts