Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up these two old cars at the toy show today for $5 each.

Not planning on running them, just thought they were cool. The green car has rusty axles, can I spray WD-40 on the axles to stop the rust? Will it hurt the plastic? Also, the guide pin is missing from the green car, does anyone make replacement guide pins for these old cars? Would like to replace the pin so it would be complete. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Also picked up this '40 Ford Coupe for $15. Can't decide whether to open it or not.
:cool:

:dude:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Nice score! The GT 40 looks brand new.WD 40 should clean the axle up some on the Jag,I would take the body off the chassis though just in case the WD does eat the plastic.
>Tom<

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
It be a Lola, the passenger A-pillar is hairlined...see the crack? It's had a brush spring replaced. Note the aluminum rivet?

Jag has the roof smooshed a bit. The rear brush spring is kinda noodled up.

Replacement chassis parts are readily available. The chassis will both clean up nicely and the spring can be made functional if your patient. I'd leave the MIP Tyco as is and get a runner version if ya really feel like ya have to.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Be carefull with the tan-colored Lola GT. The tan-colored plastic has a tendency to become brittle and will break easily. I have had two bodies shatter (one was my only Galaxie convertible) just simply by handling them.

Bob Weichbrodt
[email protected]
Winston-Salem, NC

·
BANNED
8,104 Posts
has Bill Hall's Testors 3502 direct treatment worked to restore vital elements to the fragile tan bodies?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I will put some WD-40 on the axles to inhibit the rust and see if I can find a replacement guide pin. They will go in a display case.....not on a track.

:dude:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The Tyco Hot Rod is a very common car and is not highly sought after. If you are not a big collector who wants his cars left in the package, this is a car that will not lose a lot of value if you want to open and run it. If you have no plans to run it, then leave it in the package.

For the two Aurora cars, look for threads on how to clean them - there are quite a few. Then take them for a test drive before you display them. Running them by themselves isn't going to hurt them or their value since they are already used. Check Bud's HO for any replacement part needs, including the guide pin - you can use parts from Auto World cars.

Joe

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
You betcha!

I agree with Joe. As they are already used there's no reason you cant tune them up; THEN run them AND display them. :thumbsup:

It's the best of both worlds! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts