Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the last dozen or so Shelby Stangs I have purchased, have had some unsatisfactory problems with them... Parts broken off in the packages, half-assed paint jobs, poor molded plastic parts, loose doors and hoods, wheels not mounted on the rims all the way, and missing parts... I feel these are one of the highest priced little cars out there and the quality should better... When you do find one your looking for and it's messed up in the package that's visible, you almost have to buy it because they are so scarce around here... I have been looking for a silver Cobra for my Hollywood Knights collection and found two at TRU... Both came with those ugly haulers and both looked like they were sprayed with clear cote over the bare diecast... Nasty paint jobs !!! Looks like I'm gonna have to repaint it myself, cause I know I can do better than the way it came... They had some Greenlight Motor Worlds there also, but no silver ones... They blew the Shelby Collectibles away... Anyone else having these problems... If ya pay 5 bucks for a car, you shouldn't have to go home and fix it !!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did spring for the Cobra roadster and Daytona coupe, chiefly because of the Shelby figure. But our local TRU has had half-a-dozen "Shelby Museum" packages and transporters on the shelf for months . . . way too expensive for what you get, at least from my perspective.

Rick V.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I think I have a spare High Speed silver Covra but for some reason I think it has black stripes which wouldn't help Hollywood Knight wise.
Outside of buying about 10 of those Daytonas with the Shelby figure I haven't boughten any of the scant Shelby Collectibles I have seen. Same stuff as you Rick

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Speaking only for myself, I have always been somewhat disappointed with the SC cars, terrible shut lines, awkward proportions and scale. I think I just expected to much and have been overly hard because it was a company doing their own cars. But for me, they never have come up to my expectations.

An example of poor shut lines....

·
Registered
438 Posts
In fairness, SC is capable of doing good work . . . I think the Aston Martin DBR1 is excellent. As noted, some of the other cars are not quite up to the same standard.

I assume that SC uses one of the established Chinese factories to produce these -- to my eye, the headlights, opening doors, etc., appear to be similar to Greenlight and Castline. Perhaps a private branding program with Shelby? If so, maybe they run the SC cars on the graveyard shift <g>.

Thanks,
Rick V.

·
7,829 Posts
The Aston Martin is a gem. I am happy with the Cobras and Daytonas. The Daytona compares well with the JLs. The HW 100% and Kyosho Daytonas just don't compare in my opinion. The SC Mustangs other than the 68 Coupe were not up to snuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
You know my respect for you is unwavering Atencio, and I have already come to enjoy your insights and post Rick, BUT if you guys think they did a good job replicating the 1:1 DBR1 then we agree to disagree.

I have the car and love that they did indeed produce such a unique piece, but to many issues to call it a home run for me. Again, I accept the fact that I place to much expectations on the line, but I just feel that is you are going to do a new casting, why not do it correct to the original?

Ward

·
7,829 Posts
Oh yeah. That is a rather glaring difference. Hate to admit it but I never even noticed that. I wonder if it was done as a cost saving issue to allow ease at putting the wheels on? The other differences I can't come up with any reasons why SC did what they did

Of course, in my defense it isnt a Ford. Heh

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I agree with poor shut lines on SC and M2, even a few of the GL hoods. I'd rather a car not have anything open if the shut lines are going to look bad.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anybody seen a set of 1:64 fender skirts for a DBR1? I've scoured the J.C. Whitney catalog, but apparently they are out of stock. I guess that I was just blinded by that wonderful Aston Martin Green paint and the notion that someone would actually cast this car . . . it's true, love is blind, and it makes you overlook glaring faults. But I'd still buy the Stirling Moss version if I found one!

Rick V.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts