Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any rules will be different from the norm to improove the quality of racing in the series?

I have attended the Snowbirds the last 2 years and for anyone who has been there knows the quality of racing lacks there. From the qualifiers to the A-mains I myself have seen better club races.

My first year at the Brids my first 2 qualifiers were with a racer running a L2 with the tires haninging out of the body. He was several laps off pace and made it very difficult to even finish much less get a good run in.

I know that situations like this put the officials in a tuff place. But with the good comes the bad. Blackflagging someone during a 4 minute run who doesn't have control of his car or is driving poorly is much less harmful then letting it go on for 2 qualifiers and ruining several other racers qualifiers. IMO.

How will qualifiers be setup? Also, would resorting after each round help?

Definately would like some feedback.............?

Thanks,
B. Deel

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
At the brushless race the heats were resorted after every round. I also agree that if a car is not handling or is obviously getting in everybodies way then that car needs to exit the track for repairs.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
just a thought maybe during practice we could do like f1 and they could get your best time during the practice and set the heats up by everyones best practice lap. granted it would be hard to get a clean lap but with a little work between drivers it could be done and it wouldn't take any extra time then if you were going to try to do single car qualifying. this may not work but it is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sonny set it up last year so you always practiced with the guys in your first heat. This way you could get use to each other, and hopefully have a cleaner run.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
that worked out pretty good but for one reason or another i personally was slower than the rest in my heat and didn't have a good run due to the fact i spent the whole time staying out of their way which ended up putting me into a heat that i was one of the fastest but didn't get the same courtesy. this is why i thought if they used lap times to setup heats it might make it more even in the heats. as i said above it is just a thought and i was not unhappy with the setup at last years race at allens because i saw some of the best racing i've ever seen before and i know sonny knows what he's doing and is being as fair as he can be.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
SDL98 said:
Jeff we have missed you at M-town
Man I've really missed M-Town too. The problem is that I've been on the road for work almost non-stop lately. In the last month and a half I've put on over 7,000 air miles. Hopefully I'll get some time now to do some rug racing :)

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Quality of Racing in the BRL

Brian you are always going to have a difference in ability level it doesn’t matter if it’s an R/C car or in the full size world. In my opinion the good drivers seem to find a way to work through it.

It really boils down to attitude. Drivers need to understand most wrecks aren’t intentional and that there is a difference between driver ability and driver aggression. I can assure you that intentional take-out will not be tolerated.

We will cover it in the drivers meeting but I would hope that racers who are off the pace will show some sportsmanship and do their best to let the faster cars through. However this goes both ways and if you are the faster car you have the responsibility to make a clean pass. If that means you have to check up then check up.

At the MBOC last year some drivers figured out you can’t always make a TQ run every round, sometimes you have to show some patience put in a solid run and put yourself in position to be in a better qualifier after the resort.

It would also help if instead of getting frustrated or complaining about a car that is off the pace if racers would go down and offer to help the slower competitor. Often times it’s not the driver it’s poor set-up or construction of the car that makes it ill handling. Helping him make his car more driveable may make it easier for you to get a cleaner run in the next round.

From a race directors stand point it’s always difficult to set up heats especially if you are working with a group of drivers you may be unfamiliar with. I don’t like the single lap format because it’s doesn’t always account for consistence. Im working on an idea that may base it on drivers average speed over a given number of laps however the capability of the scoring program may be an issue. The back up plan it a random pill draw for the first two events and then to base it off point standings for the following rounds.

I do have a cool format worked out for seeding the finals and I will tell you points position going into the Novak Nationals will play big part in determining your practice and qualifying heat. More details on this in the near future.

Here are a few other things that should help.

* Last round of practice will be with cars that will be in your first 2 qualifiers. This worked at a few events last year and gives racers an idea of who the faster cars are in their heat, and hopefully encourages them to work together as a group.

* 6 cars max in each qualifier should help to promote clean racing.

* Whichever format we use we will have multiple re-sorts after the second and third rounds.

* B-main bump ups plus an added surprise this year.(more details next week) Offers racers a second chance to make the big show.

* I also think the additional class with help sort the field a little this year and give racers a chance to run at the speeds they feel more comfortable with.

I’ll do everything I can to make the quality of racing and the show as good as possible but as I said a lot of it’s on the drivers shoulders and their ability to work together. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Great ideas Sonny. I'm fine with it simply being a luck of the draw system until the finals at least. At the finals having it based on points would be nice.

Personally I don't think speed necessarily dictates cleanliness of the race. There are plenty of slower guys who are never in the way and plenty of faster guys who are perpetually in the way.

I've seen it work out several times at big races where a fast guy showed late or had problems and ended up seeded into the lowest heat. it always works out great for that guy as everyone on the track gives him 4+feet to pass and he essentially gets a completely unimpeded run. Often times this is a lot easier than running with 5 other guys who are close to your speed.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Do like the triclone does for big races.. Run one minute , or 5 lap qualifyers before racing starts.. Everyone should have there cars somewhat dialed in by then.. then you have less time spent, but a general idea how everyone fits in..

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Have you thought about using a driver ranking system (I know Autoscore had a ranking system built in)

Set up the first race, letting the drivers select their own ranking...and with continuous resorts, let the cream rise to the top... (I'm always looking for ideas how to group the racers to make the heats better.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I think the way it was done last year at Allen's was fine. Single lap, multi lap, and 1 minute time runs are great, except I don't think there would be enough time in day to do it. Setting up the heats before practice was nice because you got to run with the guys you would be with in the first 2 rounds. Being nice in practice could be a benefit in qualifying.

Or we could set them up by car numbers? What number is Sully?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
MK Race said:
I think the way it was done last year at Allen's was fine. Single lap, multi lap, and 1 minute time runs are great, except I don't think there would be enough time in day to do it. Setting up the heats before practice was nice because you got to run with the guys you would be with in the first 2 rounds. Being nice in practice could be a benefit in qualifying.

Or we could set them up by car numbers? What number is Sully?

#11...........hmmmmmmmmmm.........Bad Idea Kelm......Bad Idea!! :eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was at the Novack last year, and got last... :) You may ask the drivers to rank themselves. I sure would have ranked myself in the last 5 to 10%. This may help just a little.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
One thing that happened at Allen's last year with the quals was that in my heat and a few others, 3 of the guys didn't show up to the race. So, after the "practice" heats, 3 guys got put into our heat, that we didn't get to already run with. It proved to be OK, but some people were ticked. And the thing with the self ranking is that you'll have 80% of the field rank themselves a 10. then what. Just put us in random order. resort after each round. It'll work itself out unless you're Zubak. If all the fast guys get put together right off the bat, noone will be able to catch them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts