Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased and recieved the "Chevy Thunder" 1968 Camaro Z-28 and was STOKED to get this car since it's been a while since JL has produced one, and the fact that it would be a nice addition to my "Early Model" Camaro collection.

Due to all of the negative feedback concerning the take-over of JL, I have tried to maintain a possitive attitude and frankly just stay out of it with HIGH hopes that everything would turn out well for us on the JL board. I have had a great respect for JL and have always felt that they by-far make the highest quality 1:64 diecast, and have always been in awe of their detailing . Unfortunately I have started noticing more and more quality issues, and with this car now feel that they need to be brought out!

I was highly diappointed when I free'd this car from it's blister when first off, the hood fell off the car body. Listed below are other quality issues associated with this car.
  • Hood fell off of body due to hood attachments not being properly crimped to chassis.
  • Good size scuff on driver's side windshield.
  • Engine compartment is no longer painted with any detail compared to earlier versions.
  • Large non-repaired chip on passenger side front quarter panel and front spoiler.
  • Front axle is oversize and properly crimped to frame so front wheel protrudes from front end excessively.
  • The two Z-28 striping on rear decklid seems to be reversed if you look how they match up to rear window. Old versions didn't do this!
  • Dust specks can be seen under the paint throughout this car.
  • Wheel well and window trim is missing or not completely applied.
  • Real rubber wheels are hard and not soft compared to earlier versions. This is noticed when you try and change rims or tires to something different. Again unlike older RR wheels.
Overall, I am really disappointed with the lack of quality and detailing lately that JL has always been known for. Is this "LACK OF" due to trying to cut costs, or just bad quality control? If JL doesn't step up to the plate on this, what is there that will make us standout any differently from our brand "X" competitors? I personally feel that QUALITY has always put us one up on everyone else and that is what we should continue to focus on!

I guess this car will have to go in the custom pile cause there is no way I can display it atleast with any of that old JL pride!

You guys notice any of this as well!

Here are some pics!

Chip on quarter panel, spoiler, no hood attached, and axle problem with extended front wheel.

Bad striping conpared to older version Z-28.

No engine detailing compared to earlier versions.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Wow. That's sucks. But, I'll bet no one at PM or RC2 contacts you and that they just do not care. It's not the same people anymore and I doubt that they will be handling quality issues like the old staff did. Your best bet is to find another one. (BTW, it looks like the stripes are just reversed (i.e. on the wrong sides)).

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes PWSchuh...

That's what I thought about stripes too, but they are all that way! I forgot to mention that I opened another one that also several of the same issues, and also have an un-opened one that looks and I am sure has issues too. So... I guess you could say that right now I have $10-$11 of C**P in my hand! :p

I guess if this is the way quality is heading, the best thing we can do is to leave the cars blistered which will save each and everyone of us this kind of DISAPPOINTMENT & FRUSTRATION!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Mike, I just opened that same car and here is what I found:

Scuff on the windshield near the center.
Base appears to be warped, it doesn't sit flat on the passenger side.
A few dust particles in the paint
Poor painting around the grill area, silver paint on the orange.
The hood is attached but it only opens about about half as far as the green one.
Excessive silver paint around the right side rear wheel well.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Were these cars done under the old regime, or the new? What timeline do we use to set the point where RC is responsible for QC issues? I think a lot of future business rides on the outcome. Certainly mine does...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I saw a Pony Power pack yesterday with the body of the Barracuda completely detached from the base. I wish TRU the best of luck selling that Pony Power Pack!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
owl said:
Were these cars done under the old regime, or the new? What timeline do we use to set the point where RC is responsible for QC issues? I think a lot of future business rides on the outcome. Certainly mine does...
Good point.
At what point (and really at a "when" point) do we now blame RC2 for any issues here?
I'm curious if this is new (under RC control) or a was this under PM at the time of it's production? What does the package say? Does it have a RC2 contact phone number etc? Is the Playing Mantis logo on the package?

I'm curious also: If this is RC2, did the price change?

Although I'm not nowhere near as anal as most folks here on quality issues (minor ticks, flea bites, small scratches etc), the issues here with this car are bad. I'd be unhappy too).
But before we get scolded here for PM bashing (or before this thread gets closed) and in fairness, go through the proper channels first.
Make an attempt to contact and see if Johnny Ertl (RC2) will rectify this problem with a refund or replacement.
Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
No mention of RC2 anywhere on the package, just Playing Mantis.
Most of the things I mentioned would normally be ignored by me but I just thought I would share my scrutiny of that same car. Although the "warped" base is a little annoying. The poor paint touch ups I've seen on other cars, and recently mentioned on the MCCH board, is much more irritating.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm amazed that the engine wasn't detailed....and I don't think that would fall under "quality control".

The Holiday Classics turned out great. The paint on the 350Z is almost flawless.

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
Porsche911GT3 said:
The Holiday Classics turned out great. The paint on the 350Z is almost flawless.
Have you lifted the hood on one? The reason I ask is, that I haven't recieved them yet and last year, the powers that be decided to take the Chrome motors out, making me want to Never open the hoods.
As for the all issues mentioned above, its all the more reason not to rush in, feel lucky about what you've found and just buy. But rather, observe, look and beware what you spend the money on. If the Flaw
was a prototype that slip through, Oh Boy! watch out- they all would be scouting you out to get it back :devil: Man Streetfreak, did this Thread die and get pushed to the 2nd page quick :lol:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
As I've pointed out before, I've had several quality issues with JL, even under the old administration. I've seen at least a few cars separated from their bases, still hanging on the pegs, several more with engines and other parts rattling around inside the blister, paint flaws, mis matched wheels, crooked axles, opening hoods that won't open, ect...These have been ongoing problems with JLs since I started collecting them.

Most of these problems I've noticed on cars that I have opened. I bet there are some unnoticed problems on some of the cars that are kept MOMC.

I've opened many cars of other brands too. I haven't seen as many problems on the other brands. Granted, I also don't see as much detail as on the JLs either. I'm not out to slam PM, but this is what I've seen with my own eyes.
Quality control has always been a problem with JL, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RacerJoe said:
Man Streetfreak, did this Thread die and get pushed to the 2nd page quick :lol:
I know what your say'n bud! As a member, I was just trying to do my part by informing others in hopes of correcting some of these obvious problems that keep being swept under the rug. This car was definitely caused by either lack of quality control, shortcuts being implimented in the wrong areas to cut cost and improve profits , or just lack in pride of workmanship. Atleast for me, it's sad to see JL heading in these directions.:(

·
Banned
8,047 Posts
The stripes on the rear don't match up well to the window either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Top Fuel Legends Tires and rims problems!!

I was going thru my Top Fuel Legends WL's I have around 75+ of them.
I noticed that 9 out of 10 have front tire damage. What i mean is the front rim is chrome and the chrome is bubbling off.

I opened one and the tires are hard as a ROCK! Funny thing is the package says real wheels series. Rubber like tires? Never new rubber to be Rock Hard.

Also several 20+ had clear liquid around the rear tires. On the bottom of the blister. Between the tire and blister?

All have been in plastic tubes and in a closet for the past 5+ years.

Guess their off to ebay. Not worth keeping.
Im really thinking of only collecting plastic tires jl's :eek:

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
WWE4LIFE said:
I opened one and the tires are hard as a ROCK! Funny thing is the package says real wheels series. Rubber like tires? Never new rubber to be Rock Hard.
Older they get. Harder they get. Dunno why. :confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts