Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the person to ask about what is legal or not for drivetrain for a sprint and how is the best way to get ahold of them?

I have tried e-mail to a couple different people on the contact page of the QSAC web site but have not got a response.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Who is the person to ask about what is legal or not for drivetrain for a sprint and how is the best way to get ahold of them?

I have tried e-mail to a couple different people on the contact page of the QSAC web site but have not got a response.
What would you like to know?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the rules Mike just curious about something.

Basically is it legal to put a cross shaft behind the motor and connect it to the clutch shaft with a gear to gear mesh and then have a belt from the rear axle to the cross shaft for a drive system?

What I'm after is a center belt drive instead of left side. They use this set up in Australia and I have been thinking looking at it.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Drive

I got the rules Mike just curious about something.

Basically is it legal to put a cross shaft behind the motor and connect it to the clutch shaft with a gear to gear mesh and then have a belt from the rear axle to the cross shaft for a drive system?

What I'm after is a center belt drive instead of left side. They use this set up in Australia and I have been thinking looking at it.
That will be legal. You must use a solid axle, no independent suspension but I'm sure you read that in the rules. This will work great for dirt. The early WCM sprinters had the final drive belt inside the chassis. Some were belt and some were chain along with a few with a skellenger quick change.:wave:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Fred...that is how I read the rules just wanted to make sure....I see good and bad to doing it that way... a skellenger would be killer but pricey so who knows may be a interesting winter...lol

·
Registered
916 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the Vershuure brothers out of Iowa have that jack shaft system in their sprinters . You might want to get ahold of them and they could give you some help . The system makes sense to me especially on dirt , protects the belt from dirt build up .

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info...I like the center belt for sure just wonder how much cage would need modified and then what parts to use...so after season is over I will tear car down and see what develops

·
Registered
163 Posts
It seams to me that what draws people to 1/4 scale building/racing is the awsome level or "realism" that simply cannot be obtained in the smaller scale cars.

With that being said....................what are everyones thoughts about another "addendum" in the QSAC rules to allow the dirt racers to at least build their sprint car wings to the dirt car specs?

I know 1/4 scales on dirt are not as popular as asphalt (in the US) but still yet, why make the cars running on dirt build wings to asphalt specs? I think the dirt cars need the extra surface and the builders of dirt cars want to make their cars just as "scale" as the asphalt guys do.

Is that possible? Just a simple addendum on wings if running on dirt?

What do you guys think?

Jeff Harper

·
Registered
916 Posts
It seams to me that what draws people to 1/4 scale building/racing is the awsome level or "realism" that simply cannot be obtained in the smaller scale cars.

With that being said....................what are everyones thoughts about another "addendum" in the QSAC rules to allow the dirt racers to at least build their sprint car wings to the dirt car specs?

I know 1/4 scales on dirt are not as popular as asphalt (in the US) but still yet, why make the cars running on dirt build wings to asphalt specs? I think the dirt cars need the extra surface and the builders of dirt cars want to make their cars just as "scale" as the asphalt guys do.

Is that possible? Just a simple addendum on wings if running on dirt?

What do you guys think?

Jeff Harper
Jeff , I understand the question , and the scale appearing look you're trying to achieve . In last years rules changes for sprint cars ,pavement or dirt , the width was widdened out to 14 inches from 12 1/2 inches . I think scale would be 15 inches square . With the now present rules the side boards demensions are 18in.long by 7in. high , the cord ( center section ) 16 in. long and an overall width of 14 inches . Did anybody try that large of a wing on dirt ? , because of all the races I attended on pavement nobody used a wider wing than 12 1/2 although they could . You have a valid question and oppinion and what I would suggest is submit a rules change suggestion . Keep in mind what your group does or allows at local club races can be different than what is allowed at QSAC national events .

·
Registered
194 Posts
The wings that I build for my sprintcars, that run on dirt, have a 14.75 inch x 14.75 inch centre section. The max width at LQSS in Sydney is 15 inch and I have a 1/4 inch turnout on the right sideplate. Also the left sideplate, however that doesn't count. That's as close as I can get to 1/4 scale of the full-size sprintcars that run in Sydney, which are 60 inch x 60 inch, cord and span, plus sideplates.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Randy and Bob, thanks for the replies.

My understanding (and it could be wrong LOL) is the 14"x16" top wing and the 8"x6" front wing dimensions came from pavement car rules which makes sense because most cars are ran on pavement and I can also understand that most pavement guys run less wing then allowed as they have the traction but the dirt guys would probably all run the full size dirt wing centers of 15"x15" top and 9"x6" front and close to full size sideboards as they need all the traction they can get.

This is besides the fact we want to build our cars "scale" and it would be great if the rules would allow that.

Like you said Randy, we can always allow it at our local track but all our local racers are QSAC members and will probably go to a QSAC event like the one this year at Timberline.

I am certainly not going to try and make a big deal out of this at all but it would be awsome if QSAC would allow the dirt guys the option to build our wings to dirt specs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Michael,

I read your post on the Verteran's Park website regarding the two belt drive system. The best way to reach Jerry Verschuure is by calling his cell. It is 641-780-2225. I told him that you were curious, so he will not be surprised by your call.

Fred is right. The drive was used in the middle to late 80's. They were replaced in popularity by the skellinger rear ends. The manufactures eventually stopped producing them and so we have the current drive system that is commonly used.

Kevin Verschuure

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Kevin I will call him sometime and talk to him then. I was just trying to keep from calling him out of the blue so to speak.

Thanks for his number.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
LOL tim don't mention that much weight sadler and davis might get an idea of a few hundred pounds for sprint
Might be something for you to think about Willy...help keep your car straight going down the back stretch with only 4 laps to go....tough way to lose a race..LOL

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Randy and Bob, thanks for the replies.

My understanding (and it could be wrong LOL) is the 14"x16" top wing and the 8"x6" front wing dimensions came from pavement car rules which makes sense because most cars are ran on pavement and I can also understand that most pavement guys run less wing then allowed as they have the traction but the dirt guys would probably all run the full size dirt wing centers of 15"x15" top and 9"x6" front and close to full size sideboards as they need all the traction they can get.

This is besides the fact we want to build our cars "scale" and it would be great if the rules would allow that.

Like you said Randy, we can always allow it at our local track but all our local racers are QSAC members and will probably go to a QSAC event like the one this year at Timberline.

I am certainly not going to try and make a big deal out of this at all but it would be awsome if QSAC would allow the dirt guys the option to build our wings to dirt specs. :thumbsup:
Jeff

Randy is right about you can run your own track the way your group or membership sees fit.. by all means grow your club they way you think is best. QSAC would love to see everyone run the same rules everywhere, but we are not big brother keeping an eye on everything every track does. QSAC understands that to grow our hobby we are dependent on the local level to be succseful. Just remember if you do stray from the QSAC rules to make sure your members and new guys are aware of what is going on and that when they attend a national event that they will have to make some changes to be legal in those events. I think if your group is all on the same page you guys should test the larger wings out and let us all know what the results are and what you found out. And like Randy said if you find it works better, make a suggestion to the rules committe to get the changes made. If this dirt class continues to grow, i see no reason why we cant add a rule for a DIRT WING.
mike

1 - 20 of 91 Posts