Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is up and ready for download on the QSAC site.

I do have a question though.

Under Race Formats, section 8, paragraph 3, page 11:

Two-way radio communication between a driver and crew is NOT permitted in any class.

Why?

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
IMO, one reason is probably there to prevent the ole " I didn't hear the horn/buzzer/whistle" for caution because my spotter was in my ear. :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
racecievers would fit this application perfect. They are meant to give info to the driver. Not allow the driver to talk back. Flagmen use them too. All the drivers can clearly hear what is going on. They are a great tool and only cost $100 and work with walmart two way radios.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Other than the NCS, I guess it would be up to the track if they chose to use them unless it falls under insurance regulations? I woudn't think so...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm going to remind everyone about TOS Violations for Language - you can't "go around" the TOS by using "shortcut" words in place of curse words and other adult language. If you have no clue if a word is acceptable or not, a good rule of thumb would be NOT use it. Also re-read the Help/TOS section above in the orange bar if you want more information.

This is willyplankhead's third violation of which I"m aware, so its earned him a 3 Day Time Out. I don't like doing this sort of stuff, but if folks can't be bothered to follow the rules that Hank has asked us all to follow, then you can take some time to reflect on what you've done. Next violation will be at least 7 days. After that, it'll likely be a Perma-BAN.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
IMO, one reason is probably there to prevent the ole " I didn't hear the horn/buzzer/whistle" for caution because my spotter was in my ear. :)
Yep after purchasing a $1800.00 1/4 scale car a decent 2 way would not be a cost concern. I agree with Tim, I can hear Marlin hollering now "Don't You guys know what a Caution Means"! I could see it if we were racing on a 1/2 mile track or just maybe on green flag pit stops but since we use yellow flag pitstops that ends that.

·
Turning Left
323 Posts
Hey Tanner,
It depends on if you have the RED or the BLUE coverage. Wouldn't you hate to drop a call 3 laps from a fuel stop?
Mike.... No doubt! Its blue for me and I really think the map explains why I drop 50% of all calls in or out! What would be even better is trying to dial and drive!!...LOL I'd have to still my daughters Barbie for my driver....the realistic effect!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm going to remind everyone about TOS Violations for Language - you can't "go around" the TOS by using "shortcut" words in place of curse words and other adult language. If you have no clue if a word is acceptable or not, a good rule of thumb would be NOT use it. Also re-read the Help/TOS section above in the orange bar if you want more information.

This is willyplankhead's third violation of which I"m aware, so its earned him a 3 Day Time Out. I don't like doing this sort of stuff, but if folks can't be bothered to follow the rules that Hank has asked us all to follow, then you can take some time to reflect on what you've done. Next violation will be at least 7 days. After that, it'll likely be a Perma-BAN.

What the H*** do you mean? Oh, I guess I can say Heck. Come on, who is going to be the one to interpret what a "short cut" is? Can I be banned if I say "OH Fudge!" because it might be interpreted as a "short cut"?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

Cost, nah. Compared to all the other stuff these require a radio is CHEAP.

I doubt anyone that is seriously in the hunt can claim they got beat because Team X was using a radio.

But I would like to hear from QSAC on this.

Also, did you guys notice the difference in the tire rule? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
The no radios between drivers and pit crews was a cost conserving measure. QSAC did not want people to have to go out and buy expensive two way radios or feel that they had to to keep up with the Jones. (They were expensive back then). I do realize that cost have come down but rules stay in place untill someone suggest that a change be made. I have some suggestions for rule changes next year.
Fred Murry

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
The only concern I have with two-way radios is safety. The race director needs to have direct contact with the drivers and their crews but they don't necessarily need to have direct contact back. Any distraction or impairment to their hearing could result is an accident.

We used two-way radios at the SERS and they were great for the directors, but you only heard what was coming across the headset. We had to be tapped on the shoulder to know what was going on around us and other areas of the track if we weren't looking directly at the issue. So, if you are weighing cost & convenience, figure in safety first.

As a member of our club, I would vote to ban them for use by drivers & crew even if QSAC approved them. I think track directors, pit stuarts, announcers use of them is a good thing.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear ya Tim.

What if the earpiece was only for one ear? That would allow the driver to still be able to hear the PA.

Look, I understand this is really a moot point, seeing as there are no green flag stops anymore. Although I would like to see the return of that. It really puts some strategy into the race. That is a topic for another thread.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Testing would probably shed light on the use of an earpiece. Maybe at a club race?:thumbsup:
I hear ya Tim.

What if the earpiece was only for one ear? That would allow the driver to still be able to hear the PA.

Look, I understand this is really a moot point, seeing as there are no green flag stops anymore. Although I would like to see the return of that. It really puts some strategy into the race. That is a topic for another thread.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts