Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got another hopefully not too dumb question... Whats a Q-Car?
Just picked up another piece on ebay. El Camino Surfer, Release H Unpainted Q-Car from 1994. I thought it was kinda unique being unpainted (did JL do many cars this way?) and it fits in with my slow growing El Camino cars/trucks collection. But what the heck is Q-car?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I thought the "Q" stood for "questionaire"? where PM had a questionaire that if you sent it in you got, or was able to purchase(?) this Q-car set... all un-painted with, I believe, red or white, instead of chrome motors?

G

·
Pablo

You are correct, there was a Questionaire in a NewsFlash and if you filled it out and returned it you were able to buy a set of "Q-Cars" and the motors, interiors, etc were red, unplated plastic

zzmustang

The 2 6 car box sets weren't unpainted, they were silver chrome and the 12 car box set was gold chrome - TRU exclusives

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
...although all the information here is believable,the truth of the matter is that when PM first started,they wanted to target certain demographics.
The Q-car was targeted exclusively for the Queer population.

...and no,I don't have any.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It was impossible to get through the phone to order your set. I thought they were a neat set. Without the original commemeratives there is NO johnny lightning. If I remember they were like $45 a set. The button says Q Car. Remember "Johnny Lightning Beats Them All". Should be able to find a set for $45 or less now. Maybe $25.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
tystik73 said:
Was the raw Mopar set a Q-Car set?
Anybody know where I can get a set?
No,the raw Mopar sets were given away randomly to Club members.
I was lucky and received the raw Hot Rod set.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the place for info, thanks for the list Pocket. Now to just find them all... got 2 so far!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts