Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I hear about lately is the increasing price of diecast. I grew up in the 60's with Hotwheels. If I remember the price of a car was around 79 cents. Johnny Lightnings were probably about the same. Minimum wage here in Canada was about that according to a friend who is older than me and was working. So basically you had to work one hour to buy one car. We here are now paying $4.99 for a Johnny Lightning while minumun wage is around $8.00 an hour. Over priced. Hardly. Prices of everything have increased how many times over the past 30 years. Most people think diecast should always sell for around a $1.00. I guess these people are still buying new cars for around $3000.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
No sir, you missed the point. The amount of the increase compared to others......the starting price compared to others and sir, the basic blue card still goes on sale for easily .79 each. Forty years later.

So, since PC's are a fraction of what they once cost, I should return some of my wages? lol By the way minimum wage just went up here from 4.75 not 8.00 an hour. I'm pretty sure those busting at that wage aren't fired up they can buy a Johnny and have twenty cents left over where as back in the day the whole hour was taken.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I just think we are lucky to have a great selection of diecast to choose from. If cost is too much of an issue to deal with, either don't buy as many or just stop all together. The decision ultimately is up to the consumer. No one is twisting your arm and making you buy these cars.
My opinion (some will call me biased, I know) about the new sets showing up.
The detail is better (wheels and tires).
The selection is better (I haven't seen a dud yet!).
The distribution is better.
The packaging is better. If I kept my cars in the packages, these new colorful blisters are the coolest I've seen in a long time. They are very easy to open with a razor blade, too.
I give RC2/JL two thumbs up on the relaunching of the brand.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
How do you guys want it? Everybody complains that there are no new cars, Now there are and they are too much.
Actually, they aren't anywhere. Right now it's a discussion of what the prices will be IF and WHEN the pegs get filled. At least that's how it looks from here. Maybe they'll still sell as many, since the ones people would have bought but refuse to buy at the higher price will be left for others that will. All speculation until more product actually gets put there. Fun ain't it?

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
hey I just found my first wild WL after at least 1 1/2 years. It surprises me that after 3-4 months of "I can't wait " to arguments on wood and zinc prices
just makes me think - Why bother ?
I understand what you are saying, but still it's like waiting 3-4 months for something and when it arrives the price goes up and there is little product available on the shelves. Now imagine if that actually happened..... :wave:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
So if the pegs were full , $$$ wouldn't be an issue ?
Not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is the level of anticipation was great, and it was derailed by the price/supply issues. If the pegs were full, there would be no speculation on how the product would move, since we would see it moving, or not.

Yes we knew a price increase was coming, but a buck a car was the max most were willing to take if the product delivered. It hasn't, and now the price is going up again?

You see where we are going?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Wyatt said:
I just think we are lucky to have a great selection of diecast to choose from. If cost is too much of an issue to deal with, either don't buy as many or just stop all together. The decision ultimately is up to the consumer. No one is twisting your arm and making you buy these cars.
My opinion (some will call me biased, I know) about the new sets showing up.
The detail is better (wheels and tires).
The selection is better (I haven't seen a dud yet!).
The packaging is better. If I kept my cars in the packages, these new colorful blisters are the coolest I've seen in a long time. They are very easy to open with a razor blade, too.
I give RC2/JL two thumbs up on the relaunching of the brand.
Gets my vote. :wave:

Russ

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
I just sometimes people should be thankful for what they DO have and not what what they DON"T.
You're right, to that end, thank you RC2 for the effort and thank you Walmart for the more expensive empty pegs. :freak:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You can't please all the people all of the time. The best you can hope for is to please some of the people some of the time. I like the new package and I think its GREAT to see new product in the stores (albeit I haven't seen a lot of new product, but new product just the same). The cost issue has slowed me down, but not a lot. I still buy the castings I like when I find them. All in all, I'm glad to see Johnny Lightning making a bit of a comeback. I hope to one day be able to walk into any of the stores around and find new JLs I haven't even heard of filling the pegs; with enough of a selection that the product gets bought and restocked on a regular basis. The recent changes by RC2 promise to be taking steps in that direction. In the meantime, I've developed a wait and see attitude.

Remember, they are just toy cars (very cool looking toy cars but toys just the same). ;)

1up

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
Wyatt said:
How is distribution better?
New sets only showing up partially in CARS sets. Only way I have seen that you could get a complete set would be from an OLD. Gold Series cars being sold at W-M. RC2 find these in their warehouse somewhere? Massive dumping of product in Canada.
Yeah, distribution is a whole lot better.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Atencio said:
New sets only showing up partially in CARS sets. Only way I have seen that you could get a complete set would be from an OLD. Gold Series cars being sold at W-M. RC2 find these in their warehouse somewhere? Massive dumping of product in Canada.
1. If you were a completist, why in the world would you not buy from an OLD?
2. Wal-Mart selling Gold cars? And you're complaining about that?
3. Leftovers from the last two years went to Canada. How's that bad? RC2 gets rid of unwanted warehouse pallets and our friends in Canada get to buy some Johnny Lightnings. Both parties benefit from that. Would you rather RC2 have 3 or 4 more warehouse sales to try to get rid of the same stuff? I think people would quit showing up after the first two.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Atencio said:
New sets only showing up partially in CARS sets. Only way I have seen that you could get a complete set would be from an OLD.
Again, assuming that WM didn't want CARS Assortment? You saying the WM ordered full sets and didn't get like all the OLDS did? or is it possible that WM themselves ordered it that way...

Gold Series cars being sold at W-M. RC2 find these in their warehouse somewhere?
or TRU didn't want anymore...
Massive dumping of product in Canada.
*shrug* on this one... i think they are just trying to clear out all of the old cards out of the US, so instead of giving all of the US stores lots of old carded JL's which would take a while to sell them all, dump them in Canada... oooorrrr maybe they plan on doing a weeee better job in canada and they used this dumping ground to gain popularity with the once devoid canadian pegs?
*shrug*

·
7,829 Posts
Wyatt said:
1. If you were a completist, why in the world would you not buy from an OLD?
2. Wal-Mart selling Gold cars? And you're complaining about that?
3. Leftovers from the last two years went to Canada. How's that bad? RC2 gets rid of unwanted warehouse pallets and our friends in Canada get to buy some Johnny Lightnings. Both parties benefit from that. Would you rather RC2 have 3 or 4 more warehouse sales to try to get rid of the same stuff? I think people would quit showing up after the first two.
1. How is distribution good if I have to buy from an OLD to get a complete set? Three years ago could you have found all the cars in a series at TRU? I sure did. Does TRU even have any JL's on their pegs right now? The fact that I would/would not prefer to use an OLD does not aid in the arguement of distribution.

2. I am complaining because I could not find those cars when they first came out. Look at the Super Freaks series. I wanted a black Falcom hearse bad. Could not find one in a store anywhere. People who had them wanted an arm and a leg to trade them. Same thing with PIP cars, always hard to find. So RC2 has a cheap blow out sale on old product. What was it, $12.00/case? So I finally get my Falcon Hearse and some PIP's I was missing. Am I happy, sure? But I have to ask, these cases have been sitting around for how long? Why did RC2 not at least sell them to OLD at a cheaper rate months earlier?

3. Leftovers to Canada. More cars I never saw on shelves here. I really never saw American Beauties engorged on pegs. Again I ask, if the stuff is sitting in warehouses why not make the product available at a cheaper price to OLD's.

·
7,829 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
Again, assuming that WM didn't want CARS Assortment? You saying the WM ordered full sets and didn't get like all the OLDS did? or is it possible that WM themselves ordered it that way...
I stated all I saw at W-M were CARS assortments and my point had to do with Wyatts comment that distribution is better. If all that is on store shelves is the CARS assortments then distribution is not better.

TheDarkCutlass said:
*shrug* on this one... i think they are just trying to clear out all of the old cards out of the US, so instead of giving all of the US stores lots of old carded JL's which would take a while to sell them all, dump them in Canada... oooorrrr maybe they plan on doing a weeee better job in canada and they used this dumping ground to gain popularity with the once devoid canadian pegs
Yeah right. I'll bet you a WL that product in Canada dries up after all this dumped stuff is gone.
But still if distribution is not a problem then why do many of us not find JL product on store shelves yet months later it shows up in other places at slashed prices?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I dont know why so many are complaining about the $1 Canada cars , when 2 months ago - Most TRU's had the same thing !! There was lots of 97 cent cars there & before that was the 2 packs for $2.97 . Not a bad deal there either , if they had what you were looking for .... I didnt buy much at TRU , because I already had most of them ... But they are all gone now ...

What I dont get is that JL had this much unsold merchandise in the warehouse !! , That they can clearance it out in such mass quantities ... There must of been more than 10,000 in each series I would assume ...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Wyatt said:
If cost is too much of an issue to deal with, either don't buy as many or just stop all together. The decision ultimately is up to the consumer. No one is twisting your arm and making you buy these cars.
Very well said, Wyatt. :thumbsup: This is all I could think about this afternoon, after reading all the reply from another thread. I guess I'm going to have to take a break from hobbytalk for a while, before I am forced to leave. I really hate constant bickering all the time. This was a nice happy place to visit, when I first became a member 9 months ago. Now, not so much.

JP2

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Atencio said:
1. A bunch of stuff QUOTE]

I don't suppose you'll ever be happy, not even if the Lightning Girls showed up at your door in Santa Suits, delivering every car from last year and next year, with a pizza and a 42 inch plasma.

It will never be a perfect system, but I think things have improved a lot. (Personally, I'm not real fond of the C.A.R.S. assortments, either, but I am seeing new stuff on the pegs, really cool looking stuff, and that's better than it was so obviously, distribution has taken a turn for the better. And no, I don't have a Toys'R'Us within 60 miles of my house so I can't check.)

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
geman57 said:
All I hear about lately is the increasing price of diecast. I grew up in the 60's with Hotwheels. If I remember the price of a car was around 79 cents. Johnny Lightnings were probably about the same. Minimum wage here in Canada was about that according to a friend who is older than me and was working. So basically you had to work one hour to buy one car. We here are now paying $4.99 for a Johnny Lightning while minumun wage is around $8.00 an hour. Over priced. Hardly. Prices of everything have increased how many times over the past 30 years. Most people think diecast should always sell for around a $1.00. I guess these people are still buying new cars for around $3000.
That's a great way to look at the price of a new JL car! Minimum wage $8.00 an hour now, sell a JL regular version for $8.00. I'll still buy a few at $8.00, but not many. I guess I'll be one of the minority that will buy less.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts