Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dusted it off. and it needs to be fixed back up! and made wider for the new grandstands.walls and fencing.:wave:

:wave:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's really nice. That's what I'd like to have to display some of my cars. Maybe not the stands and tower, as I don't have a lot of room. but the tree and track.

What did you use to make your track out of? A friend of mine used to make model train scenery but your looks more polished. He used plaster of paris and wire mesh and it ended up cracking and being a big mess.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really nice. That's what I'd like to have to display some of my cars. Maybe not the stands and tower, as I don't have a lot of room. but the tree and track.

What did you use to make your track out of? A friend of mine used to make model train scenery but your looks more polished. He used plaster of paris and wire mesh and it ended up cracking and being a big mess.
mine right now is only 6 inches wide x 36
it's made from 1x6 pine board.
it wasn't made to be correct size in any scale. it was for taking pic's with customs i do only. now what i will do is revamp everything and make it fit on a wall where it can be removed for pics. im gonna add another 8 '' to it and will sit on the wall till needed. it will now be 1x14w x36L
everything will be made of wood or styrene. and making this track is very easy. using gray primor and gloss black and medium sand paper. masking tape. yellow paint and white paint.
now adding the new wood will take model rr grass and white glue along with the paints i mentioned.
im lucky i have saved so much stuff over the years for drag tracks and junk yards. that what i need is there. and 90% of this stuff is stuff we throw away everyday. old toys right down to old raido's. you have to look at something. and ask your self what doe's it look like or what can i use it for later on. example- old radio- small dioads make great msd boxes and the tall long dioads make great oil filters. the wires for batteries and so on...
look around you. there are so many things you can use in the house that can save you money. :wave: even old wood. sand it down and you have new wood for free. you supply the elbow grease:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gunn - You need to figure out a way to use that snazzy new camera bro!!
im working on it next week. i'm kinda getting tired of the ol web cam my self:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Looking damn good! I have been kicking around the idea of a drag strip for a while but just haven't started it. Not so sure I would go as far as the grandstands or tower. Well maybe a tower, but I'd need some practice at that first, lol

Is that a JL christmas tree?

Just a thought for ya..... You could do the boxes for the pre stage and staging beams. Looks like you even have room to do the boxes for the 60' beams

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking damn good! I have been kicking around the idea of a drag strip for a while but just haven't started it. Not so sure I would go as far as the grandstands or tower. Well maybe a tower, but I'd need some practice at that first, lol

Is that a JL christmas tree?

Just a thought for ya..... You could do the boxes for the pre stage and staging beams. Looks like you even have room to do the boxes for the 60' beams
yes it's a jl tree. but im looking into making one.
yep got all that and the timing board for each side. im looking into fiber optics for nite racing. only thing i can't find yet is all the sponcer adds i had saved up. ive got a hot rod mag here thats nothing but 50 to 70 tracks and gasser cars. and old school dragsters. best 4.99 i ever spent ..lol

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finished up 1 set of stairs hand rails and up rights added. 4 more sets to go.
:wave:

·
Registered
350 Posts
yes it's a jl tree. but im looking into making one.
yep got all that and the timing board for each side. im looking into fiber optics for nite racing. only thing i can't find yet is all the sponcer adds i had saved up. ive got a hot rod mag here thats nothing but 50 to 70 tracks and gasser cars. and old school dragsters. best 4.99 i ever spent ..lol

Thats really cool.

I'm setting up some light poles with LEDs for the home track. I just haven't decided on the light pole style just yet. I want to have them pointed down track to make it more realistic, but I think it might interfere with filming the races from the finish line. I was thinking about using reg RR street lights but a lot of them are not very bright. I want the track to be lit up very well but don't want a ton of lights on it. Probably be using a 12" spacing and running lights on one side of the track. I'm thinking about making them 4.5" high, roughly equivalent to a 25' pole.

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,683 Posts
Cool track Gunn!!! Cars pictured in a diorama just seem to look more real. Here's one I built to photograph my slotcars. Take a piece of plastic or MDF, to use as your base. I first sprayed it flat black (spraycan), then took a spray can of grey primer and barely misted on a light coat, to give the gravel effect. Hold the can about 2 foot back and let the primer just fall on it, doesn't take much. After drying, I masked off and sprayed the center red section, gloss paint. For the white lines, I used automotive pen striping. I sealed it with a final coat of clear matte finish, spray can (optional). The backdrop is a picture I enlarged on photo paper. The tire tracks were made by rolling sponge tires, in some thinned acrylic paint, then roll down the track a couple of times.
The display just adds a little realism...RM

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks great. how you painted yours is how i did mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts