Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a large roll of pull cord which was listed as PREMIUM. White outer jacket with red hash marks. Have installed many new cords over the years, but have never had this problem. There are approx five nylon leader cords running through this soft white with red hash mark jacket. I have had the jacket to pull free of the knot four times. Twice on the spool end and twice on the pull grip end. When it pulls loose, the inner cords are still connected both ends, but the jacket scoots all the way to the opposite end of the pull through. Disgusting. Am I dealing with something new that I don't prepare the knots correctly on or what?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten a hold of some bad starter cord... I can't recall having any problem like that before. Is the outer cord made of cotton??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cotton. I heat the ends to help the knots to hold, and it does'nt burn, but melts. I did not heat the ends until the second cord gave way. Tom

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I have always burned the ends of the rope when I install, maybe thats the difference. Let me know if that ends your problems, I am curious.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I received this cart, the complaint was the carb needed adj and it needed a new starter rope. Someone else had recently installed a rope and the sheath had broken loose at the engine end and was sliding up the strands. I too have always seared the frayed end and then after tieing the knot, I heat the knot just enough to make it rather stiff. I have never encountered this problem, ever. When I get the engine back together, I am going to try a different brand. Nice to hear from you again. Tom PS, will let you know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts