Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
There've been kits of characters from folklore and mythology like Hercules and Sinbad, but I don't believe there's ever been a line of kits of the classical Greek Olympian gods.

http://www.greek-gods.info/greek-gods/

Seems the subject would have been a natural for Aurora back in the day. Of course, the sculptors would have had to come up with more interesting and dynamic poses than those boring old statues.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
In action poses of course .......

Robin Hood
Alexander The Great (in armor)
Marc Anthony (in armor)
King Arthur (in armor)
Blackbeard (repop the danged thing!)
Ghengis Kahn (in armor)
Samurai Warrior
Zulu Warrior
Satan

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Romanian historical figures like :

Burebista (Ancient Greek: "Βοιρεβίστας") was a king of the Getae and Dacians, who unified for the first time their tribes and ruled them between 82 BC and 44 BC. He lead plunder and conquest raids across the Central and Southeastern Europe, subjugating most of the neighbouring tribes. After his assassination in an inside plot, the empire was divided into several smaller states.

Decebalus or "The Brave One" (originally named Diurpaneus)[1] was a king of Dacia (ruled the Dacians 87 – 106)[2] and is famous for fighting three wars and negotiating two interregnums of peace[2] without being eliminated[3] against the Roman Empire under two emperors.[1] In the later short peace (end of 102-105) granted by Trajan, Decebalus continued to act as an independent king,[4] rather than a conquered client and repeatedly annoyed or infuriated the Romans.

Consequently, the Legions under Trajan's orders went on the offensive again in 105 AD and reduced the Dacian stronghold and capital Sarmizegetusa in 106 AD[4], finally running down Decebalus the same year, whereupon he committed suicide rather than being marched through Rome as a captured foreign leader.

Michael the Brave's rule, with its break with Ottoman rule, tense relations with other European powers and the union of the three states, was considered in later periods as the precursor of a modern Romania.

Vlad III Dracul

Tudor Vladimirescu (c. 1780–June 7 [O.S. May 27] 1821) was a Wallachian Romanian revolutionary hero, the leader of the Wallachian uprising of 1821 and of the Pandur militia. He is also known as Tudor din Vladimiri (Tudor of Vladimiri) or — occasionally — as Domnul Tudor (Voivode Tudor).

Alexander John Cuza, a common English rendition of Alexandru Ioan Cuza (20 March 1820 – 15 May 1873), was a Moldavian-born Romanian politician who ruled as the first Domnitor of the United Principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia between 1859 and 1866.

Ana Cumpănaş (a.k.a. Anna Sage), the "Woman in Red" who helped FBI catch John Dillinger.

The Romanians have done so much, yet this side of the world knows nothing about them because American and English history takes over.

I'd also like to see some Canadian figures from history too.

It's time for both!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont know if Lon Chaney is public domain, but a kit of Chaney in front of a mirror putting on a facial appliance would be awesome I think! Cool extras to the kit could be some of his "used" props like a hunchback hunch and phantom mask.. Maybe London after midnight hat, etc..

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
@ Tylerh - That one was done back in the 1990's in resin.

To add to my above list, I'd also like to see Canadian Mounties from different eras. That might sell quite well as the mounties are recognized the world over.

(Mounties always get their man.)

Also, there was one Mountie captain who never used his guns to fight crime. He was pure intimidation and his place in history was durring the roughest period of the wild west. He was once in a gun fight and stared down his American opponient, scaring that man into dropping his guns. That would be a man to make a model of.

Sam Steele -

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Trevor, I'm sure all those Romanian historical figures deserve to be better known by Americans. But, face it, they wouldn't exactly be huge sellers in model kit form -- except maybe Vlad III, aka Vlad Dracula, aka Vlad Ţepeş, aka Vlad the Impaler. The only other famous Romanian most Americans can think of is Nadia Comaneci.
In action poses of course .......

Robin Hood
Alexander The Great (in armor)
Marc Anthony (in armor)
King Arthur (in armor)
Blackbeard (repop the danged thing!)
Ghengis Kahn (in armor)
Samurai Warrior
Zulu Warrior
Satan
Satan!??

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
@ Tylerh - That one was done back in the 1990's in resin.

To add to my above list, I'd also like to see Canadian Mounties from different eras. That might sell quite well as the mounties are recognized the world over.

(Mounties always get their man.)
Great idea Trevor!!!:thumbsup:
I'd love a kit of Dudley Do Right!! (the cartoon- not the film...)

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I dont know if Lon Chaney is public domain...
chaney's image is controlled by his family. and as MCR points out, its been done. do a search for the "man of a thousand faces" kit. its one of the greatest GKs ever produced.
anyway, "public domain" covers way too much territory to just pick one character. consider the number of historical, fictional, and legendary characters there are out there. i think all of us could come up with a dozen good suggestions from each of those categories.
bizarrobrian, can you narrow your criteria a little?

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I've always thought that Ebenezer Scrooge cowering at Deaths skeletel feet (as the Grim Reaper points to his tombstone) would be a cool kit...
...of course any kit made would have to sell a whole lot more than the two I would probably buy :p and that's why History figures to most people are boring, ...Aurora tried with the Presidents line and only produced JFK and G.Washington before cancelling the line because of poor sales, so I can't see how a line of famous Romanians or RCMP kits would sell ...unless like Chris says,"I'd love a kit of Dudley Do Right!!":wave:
I really believe this John P. kit would outsell them all...
Coming soon: John P the Barbarian!

Mcdee:tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I couldn't agree more Denis!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dudley Do-Right or JohnP !
You can't tell me they wouldn't be top sellers!
Maybe Cecil the Sea Sick Sea Serpent.....

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Seriously (?) though, one kit that Denis has reminded me of that hasn't been done and is public domain is the Grim Reaper. Seeing as how we're mainly monster or figure modelers, I can't see how a kit of this mythological figure could fail!!
I think a well done Auroraesque kit of the Grim Reaper would be a BIG hit!!
Maybe standing amongst some old tombstones or in front of a crypt....

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
I couldn't agree more Denis!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dudley Do-Right or JohnP !
You can't tell me they wouldn't be top sellers!
Maybe Cecil the Sea Sick Sea Serpent.....

Not a bad IDEA Chris...
You never know...:p
Mcdee

1 - 20 of 106 Posts