Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Epp, I have been a longtime fan of protoform for more years than I care to count. I have always been impressed with the quality of the products, but something is lacking..... We need a new 12th scale! I hate having to buy a brand X oval body only to see it ripped to shreds because it was molded to thin. 12th scale oval is not dead! What do you say? :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Aero-1 Charger.

Looks strikingly similar to PF's 1/10.

I think Putnam sells them and one other place but I don't remember what they were called.

P.S. It's been out for over 2 years...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen this charger before, and have been told it was designed by protoform, but rumors are one thing. I want to hear from the man himself. Is this a protoform design, and are there any plans for a different body?

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
No it’s not a Protoform body. As you know Dale has an agreement to manufacture bodies exclusively for Protoform. It would put him in a very difficult position to try and manufacture a body for someone else.

The Aero-1 1/12 scale body was designed by a guy named Smoke E. Johnson a well known and very talented designer from the North.

It’s an outstanding design that works very well. In fact you will notice most of the Protoform team guys using this body with Dale’s blessing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so Protoform does not have anything to do with it. I would still like to know if there are any future plans for 12th scale bodies by my favorite company.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd just race the aero-1 ;-) and be happy that PF is allowing Dale to give us some new 1/10 scale bodies.

·
Registered
706 Posts
PF has Dale so tied up with on road bodies that from what I've heard any 1/12 plans are on a very far back burner. Like Danny said just use Todd's body and be happy that PF is allowing Dale to do an occasional 1/10 oval body or 2.

John

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

Very high quality for sure. Sonny thanks for clearing that name up for me I always called him Smokey. I'll apologize to him when I see him next time.

Bt

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay you guys convinced me. I guess the aero 1 body will be my next purchase. By the way, does anyone have a pic of the 12th scale hyperdrive pro 3? I am interested in buying one but I would like to have a look.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sonny B said:
No it’s not a Protoform body. As you know Dale has an agreement to manufacture bodies exclusively for Protoform. It would put him in a very difficult position to try and manufacture a body for someone else.

The Aero-1 1/12 scale body was designed by a guy named Smoke E. Johnson a well known and very talented designer from the North.

It’s an outstanding design that works very well. In fact you will notice most of the Protoform team guys using this body with Dale’s blessing.
Yep, that's the story as I know it to be. He's done quite a good job on this body. We also do carry these bodies on our website. Maybe that Aero1 guy will do a new Toyota type body sometime in the near future.

Eric Dimmick
Darkside Motorsports

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
charger01 said:
okay you guys convinced me. I guess the aero 1 body will be my next purchase. By the way, does anyone have a pic of the 12th scale hyperdrive pro 3? I am interested in buying one but I would like to have a look.
Charger there's a PDF on the Hyperdrive thread. Page 10

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Id like to see Protoform come up with a slick 1/4 scale oval body. I know the chances of this happening is slim to zero, but I can only imagine the attention to detail would be outstanding! The 1/4 scale bodies that are currently availible are starting to become dated...
~Brad

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
For the sake of economics, ruled by the old supply and demand factor, Dale has to produce molds for bodies that generate the most sales for Proline/Protoform, worldwide. Unfortunately, this shoots any 1/12th Oval project right in the foot.

I do still have some of his 1/12 Protoform Tauruses as well as his 1/12 Protoform T-Birds, (not many) in addition to our Aero-1 Charger bodies. I will tell you that the Aero-1 body offers more steering, downforce and a more overall planted feel than any other 1/12 body available. They also fit the longer wheel base and wider 1/12th oval cars of today much better, as they are the widest ROAR legal body available.

On a side note, Dale did pick up an Aero-1 body I had on my 1/12th scale the first year I had it at the Snowbirds and gave it a pretty thorough critiquing-as well as the thumbs up...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike- thank you, I will check that out.
Todd- Thanks for the info. your motors are all we like to see down here in frozen pa!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts