Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently bought three 1:18 scale convertibles from Ebay: a Maisto 1:18 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra convertible in dark red that comes with box and is in good condition despite being in a smoking household The other one is a Bburago 1996 BMW Z3 M Roadster in blue that was dusty and I took apart and cleaned up the car using Armor All on the plastic and rubber parts. The final one I got at an antique store just before they closed for the day: a Maisto 1:18 Honda S2000 in yellow, and like the BMW M Roadster it was dusty so I took it apart and cleaned it up as well.

To keep all of my hard work after cleaning I store them in a Ziploc gallon freezer bags (since I don't have the space for display cases) to keep them fresh for years and it works. However, when it comes to storing that's another issue as I have to carefully lay them in their containers with a protective barrier (like bubble wrap). This is the first time that I have roofless 1:18 scale cars that are loose, and both have windshields that can break under weight, and the S2000 has a rubber antenna in the rear that can come off easily. So I was wondering what's the best way to protect the windshields and other parts on loose 1:18 convertibles with no box?

·
Administrator
37,402 Posts
Packing bubbles, folded towels, styrafoam sheets, crumpled newspaper, etc.

You can to dollar stores and find $1.00 plastic shoe boxes with lids that same modesl will fit in. And they are stackable.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Get the sterilite brand plastic shoe boxes from Walmart. 97 cents each and have a little sturdier lid than some of the cheaper ones.
Great idea. Never thought of that! I stored all of my loose cars on the top layer of the boxes that had my 1/18's still in the box. And then obviously made sure that no boxes were put on top of those. Wrapped them in bubble wrap and old towels. All but 1 made it out unscathed...too bad the only victim was my red Ertl 69 GTX convertible :crying:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I got two of those Sterlite shoeboxes at Wal-mart for .97 cents. Then I put the 1:18 cars in ziploc gallon freezer bags, wrapped them in bubble wrap, and then used any loose 1:64 cars related to the model or brand and filled in the rest of the space in the container. Did two things: protects the 1:18 and gain more space where I store the 1:64.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts