Hobbyist Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Netherlands is pretty dead when it comes to modelling..
but when in amsterdam...

Schaal Treinen Huis
Bilderdijkstraat 94
1053 KX Amsterdam
Tel : 020 - 612 26 70
Fax: 020 - 612 28 17

At least for as long as they exsist. Business is slow and they are going to quit next year.

They even have a couple of fine-molds :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
update on riverside hobbies.
Riverside hobbies closed their doors sometime in mid 2012. Cant remember exactly when.
Too Bad. Another small, but good family owned shop gone. I used to go there when I was a kid.

There are a couple more in the Sacramento area.

RC country hobbies
6011 folsom blvd
Sacramento, Ca.
916-731 5868

Good selection of models and supplies.

Viking Hobby
4713 El camino Ave.
Carmicheal, Ca.
916-483-6885

One of the last small hobby shops still open in the area. Im talking small. But lots of models and other stuff. Again family owned and a favorite of mine from back when.

Hobby lobby has a store in Roseville, but not much selection of models, Bout the same as micheals.

Rob.

My wife and I like to visit other cities/states for vacation. If I'm on it, before we leave I ask around for references on some of the local or nearby hobby shops. Most of the time I forget, so I go to my "default" option of looking them up on the phone book. The problem is that I'm cut off from this community and I have no references on whether those places are any good. Usually I also find that the phone book is outdated. It lists shops that have moved or closed and it doesn't tell me of new ones that have opened since it was printed.

While in Seattle the other day I thought of a better solution: List your favorite local shops here, so that this thread becomes a quick reference for anyone who is traveling around. So I'll start:

If you are coming to the Sacramento area, the two shops I would recommend are

Riverside Hobbies
5141 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA
916-455-3747

Hobbytown USA
2761 East Bidwell St., #400 (Broadstone Plaza)
Folsom, CA
916-984-6266

·
Registered
32 Posts
i gotta go with...
Viking Hobby
4713 El camino Ave.
Carmicheal, Ca.
916-483-6885
been going there for about 30 years or so, and i no longer live in sac town!
Jessica's one of a kind and i'll pay a lil more just to give her business :wave:

too bad riverside closed it's doors, but they had some killer deals the last weeks they were open, stocked my shelves for years to come

·
Registered
557 Posts
Come down under to Wellington, New Zealand and visit the store that has been the local for Sir Peter Jackson and Sir Richard Taylor.

Modelcrafts and Hobbies
Cnr Victoria and Dixon Street
Wellington CBD
New Zealand
http://www.modelcraftsandhobbies.co.nz/

Opened in 1956 and now owned and run by the son of the founder.
That's longevity for you.

Alien

·
Registered
189 Posts
Earlier (like three years) in the thread someone mentioned The Hobby Company in San Francisco not being great on stock and service. I'd like to disagree. They have every single color of Tamiya and Model Masters you can imagine - including rattle cans - plus glues, decal solutions, and airbrush supplies. Erik is a great guy and spent about 20 minutes fiddling with my dirty 30 year old Paasche airbrush - that I didn't even buy at his store - to get it working well. He's got many years of experience with them.

The best part is that their prices on paint are on par or lower than most places online so that I rarely need to search for anything. The only thing I could find there was perfect plastic putty and the trasstar automotive primer I've using.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have not been to Hub Hobby Center, but I do like Scale Model Supplies a lot.

As for local to Saint Cloud....

Baker's Hobby & Framing
www.bakershobby.com
51 3rd Street Northeast
Waite Park, MN 56387-1298
(320) 252-0460

It's not very big (I have more stuff than they do), but they are under new ownership (the original owner passed away earlier this year) and he is stocking some new items. Andrea paints, Games Workshop minis, more magazine titles and a bit more variety in plastic kits. I still don't understand why half the store is home brewing...that stuff should be in a craft store.

If you are traveling to Orlando, FL I recommend:

Colonial Photo & Hobby Inc
www.cphfun.com
634 North Mills Avenue
Orlando, FL 32803
(407) 841-1485

It's almost 60 years old, built into an old grocery store and I worked there for 2 years (the reason why I have more stuff than Baker's).

And I discovered this place while visiting Milwaukee:

Greenfield News & Hobby
6815 W. Layton Avenue
Greenfield, WI. 53220
Ph: 414 - 281-1800
http://greenfieldhobby.home.att.net/

Bigger than Baker's and smaller than the other two...but packed with a lot of stuff.

:D
Colonial Photo & Hobby Inc

I think I passed right by this on the weekend. Doh! I'll have to make another trip down there some day.

Searching for a shop in my new neighborhood of the Orlando area.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Earlier today I found that San Diego, CA now has a Hobby Lobby. It reminded me a lot of Michael's, only bigger. When I finally found the model aisle, I was greatly disappointed. While they had more models than Michael's, there was only one sci-fi kit, A lone X-wing. I don't think they even had an R.C. section.
Despite the thread title I am not giving props to Hobby Lobby, even though they are now a LHS. I don't see myself going back. I'll stick with the other hobby shops.

Where's the "Thumbs Down" smilie?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I won't reply to myself but I now regularly shop at Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando. A great shop, with nice staff. Lots of trains and a fair selection of newer SCI-FI kits and supplies.

Half the store is devoted to Photography, but it's a pretty big shop!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts