Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I like to visit other cities/states for vacation. If I'm on it, before we leave I ask around for references on some of the local or nearby hobby shops. Most of the time I forget, so I go to my "default" option of looking them up on the phone book. The problem is that I'm cut off from this community and I have no references on whether those places are any good. Usually I also find that the phone book is outdated. It lists shops that have moved or closed and it doesn't tell me of new ones that have opened since it was printed.

While in Seattle the other day I thought of a better solution: List your favorite local shops here, so that this thread becomes a quick reference for anyone who is traveling around. So I'll start:

If you are coming to the Sacramento area, the two shops I would recommend are

Riverside Hobbies
5141 Folsom Blvd
Sacramento, CA
916-455-3747

Hobbytown USA
2761 East Bidwell St., #400 (Broadstone Plaza)
Folsom, CA
916-984-6266

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sure, why not

Minneapolis/St Paul area shops

Scale Model Supplies
458 Lexington Pkwy N
St Paul, MN 55104
(651) 646-7781
http://www.scalemodelsupplies.com/

This is my first choice for kits - and the only place in the area I can get Humbrol paints - They still have a good stock of PL figure kits, mostly Planet of the Apes, but a couple LIS as well - and they have 'Classic Kits' for a premium price, but usually lower than what you'd pay Evil-bay for them

Hub Hobby Center
6410 Penn Ave S
Richfield, MN 55423
(612) 866-9575
http://www.hubhobby.com/

This is where I go if I need tools, putty, glue, etc - last time I was in there, they still had a couple PL-Klingon kits and several PL-Scorpions. My only complaint is they try to cover it all - RC, Railroad, Rocketry, Games, Little-kid learning sets - and they don't have a huge space to cram it all in

We have several Hobbytowns in the area - but I avoid them like the plague - they think SF/Fantasy is a dying fad - though one thinks he'll order 1 or 2 of the Tom Lowe 18" Enterprise kit re-releases - "Just in case"

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
In Massachusetts....

These are the three that I go to. There are a few more out there.

Harrys Hobbies & Collectibles

250 E Main St
Norton, MA 02766-2436
508-285-8080

Centerline Hobbies

167 Corporation Road
Hyannis, MA 02601

800 675- 1244

The Spare Time Shop
222J East Main Street
Marlborough, MA. 01752

(508) 481-5786

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
Thanks for the tip-off on Hobbytown USA in Folsom, El Gato! I'll be checking them out soon! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Milwaukee area:

Model Empire: www.modelempireusa.com
7116 W. Greenfield Avenue
West Allis, WI 53214
Phone: (414) 453-4610

Good prices, nice selection of kits, especially automotive, lots of classic kits.

Hiawatha Hobbies: www.hiawathahobbies.com
1701 Summit ave
Waukesha, WI. 53188

Mostly model train stuff, but a pretty good selection of models as well.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Very kewel thread! :thumbsup:

HobbyTown USA
9101 W. Markham St., Suite 18
Little Rock, AR 72205
(501) 223-5155 (501) 223-5179 fax
[email protected]
Store Hours:
M - Sat 10am to 8pm
Sun Closed

Your typical HobbyTown, for the most part. However, it has a large number of part time folks who work there who are almost all hobbiest such as we are. So, you can usually find at least one person who's knowledgable about some aspect of what you're interested in, tho only one of the fellas there is a SciFi guy. They've got a decent selection of SciFi, regardless, and can even special-order stuff. They don't have much in the way of resin kits, but do also special order and even have several of the JT Graphics Trek decals on-hand.

Rail & Sprue (formerly Hobby Shack - formerly Jack's Hobby Shop)
1200 John Harden Dr
Jacksonville, AR 72076
(501) 982-6836
[email protected]
Store Hours:
Mon & Tues, Thur - Sat 10am to 6pm (I think)
Closed Sun & Wed and Federal Holidays

Rail & Sprue recently had to change it's name because some company in California had the name of Hobby Shack already allegedly "Licensed", tho they're also not apparently using said name any more. Daryl had to change the name a couple of weeks back. It's also a "Mom & Pop" operation run by a retired USAF C-130 pilot. As such, Daryl's got a lot of interesting stories to tell and is also sometimes closed when he decides to go on vacation - which isn't all that often, maybe twice a year and almost always in conjunction w/ his being closed on Sunday and Wednesday - or if there's some sort of family emergency or a train or model show taking place w/in driving distance.

He keeps the story pretty darned well stocked on paints and building supplies, has an excellent assortment of all sorts of hobbies and is a really nice guy to talk to. He's mostly a train guy, tho also has the veritable ton of model kits of various genre and scale, as well as a nice selection of gaming supplies, slot cars and R/C.

That's all I've got for the local area. We used to have a third place in town, but Matthew had to close it down about four or five years ago due to family related issues.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to TPTB for making this thread a sticky!

I wanted to add that Riverside is a mom & pop owned by a family of modelers! They've got some pretty impressive builds. The HobbyTown seems to be owned by a couple of people who love the hobby. Talk to a guy named Steve if you have questions about airbrushing.

Neither place has a huge scifi area, but they've got tons of models and building materials.

·
Registered
741 Posts
As I started listing the hobby stores in St. Louis, I realized just how many we have, and each with a particular field of expertise. St. Louis really is a great hobby city.

In the Greater St. Louis area:

HobbyTownUSA
13875 Manchester Rd
Ballwin, MO 63011
(636) 394-0177

Excellent kit selection, excellent ground R/C selection and service, good on trains and entry-level electric flight. Good general hobby selection, lots of tools, supplies, materials, science kits, games, and a top seller of metal detectors. Great rocket selection, and I work there so it better be your first stop when you go looking for a hobby shop.

Mark Twain Hobby Center
2793 West Clay
St. Charles MO 63301
(636) 946-2816

Another great store, excellent selection of kits, R/C and trains. Excellent book and magazine selection. Some rare and out-of-production kits to be found. Strong expertise on R/C ground vehicles.

Checkered Flag Hobby Country
4491 Lemay Ferry Rd
St Louis, MO 63129
(314) 892-5353

Not as well stocked as they used to be, limited kit selection, but real nice people to talk to. Some Girl Scouts supplies, some general craft supplies like styrofoam balls and wood shapes, canvas boards and paints.

CRM Hobbies
5101 Eichelberger
St. Louis, MO 63109
(314) 832-4840

The EXPERTS on all that is plastic and resin. Model Kit Mecca. No R/C or other mechanized hobbies. Lots of rare, out-of-production, limited, and garage kits.

Hobby Station
301 South Kirkwood Road
Kirkwood, MO 63122
(314) 822 1927

THE model train EXPERTS. Fair selection of kits, very limited R/C. Close to the Kirkwood Museum of Transportation with an actual Big Boy locomotive on display. Great store, great people, and lots of good shopping and dining along Kirkwood Ave. There's an excellent game and comic store within walking distance.

Schaeffer's Hobby
11659 Gravois Road
St. Louis, MO 63126
(314) 729-7077

The largest hobby store in St. Louis, also a great craft store. The authority on R/C flight of all scales and types. They offer craft classes, too! Good overall hobby and craft store.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Happy to help:

Southeast L.A. county-Northwest Orange County, CA

Prestige Hobbies
Corner of Beach Blvd. @ Ball Rd., in Anaheim, CA

Specialize in die-cast, good selection of kits.

Hobby Warehouse
Corner of Lakewood Blvd. @ South St., in Lakewood, CA

Specialize in trains and RC, also lots of kits, now including Moebius.

Hobby People
Corner of Bellflower @ South St., in Lakewood, CA

Specialize in RC, many kits too.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
I've been meaning to get up to kit kraft for a year now.
Thanks also for the Burbank shop, Carson!

I'll add to the L.A. list by including:
Evett's Model Shop
1636 Ocean Park Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Run by Colby and his wife Yvette for the last 60 yrs. Rent's have skyrocketed and he's thinking this might be his last year, so get there while you can. Good prices overall. Kits, RC, Rockets, all forms of supplies, etc.

And
Allied Model Trains
4371 Sepulveda Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90230
http://www.alliedmodeltrains.com/index.lasso
mostly trains, but covers our basics such as paint, thinner, plastruct etc.

I also came across this page:
http://www.yellowpages.com/Los-Angeles-CA/Hobby-Model-Shops?from=ipya1laenart_hobby

And this one lisitng shops across the country by zip code.
Looks like it specializes in trains, but...
http://www.trainweb.org/wendy/hobby.html

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the Grand Rapids, Michigan area we don't have a lot, other than the typical Hobby Lobby stores and such. There are a couple of specialty stores, though.

Ryders Hobby
2055 28th St SE # 12
Grand Rapids, MI 49508
PHONE: (616) 247-9933
http://www.ryders.com

My favorite store, where I do most of my model and supply shopping. Big selection of models, RC, Trains and Gaming supplies.

There is also

Hobby World
2851 Clyde Park SW
Wyoming, MI 49519
Phone: (616) 538-6130

Actually much closer to my home, but smaller store which caters mostly to RC
vehicles. Some models and reasonable selection of supplies, but if you're not into RC, it can be difficult getting help. I've always felt the place was less friendly than Ryders, but that could be me.

EJ's Hobbies
7017 Cascade Rd SE
Grand Rapids, MI
Phone: (616) 942-0285
http://www.ejshobbies.com

I've never been there, but it advertises itself as THE WORLD'S NUMBER ONE SOURCE FOR VINTAGE SLOT CARS, PARTS, & ACCESSORIES.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
The Seattle area is home to one of the best full-service hobby shops in the country (and they have a great collection of sci-fi kits)...

Galaxy Hobby
19332 60th Ave W
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Phone: 425-670-0454
Fax: 425-778-3099

http://www.galaxyhobby.com/

1 - 20 of 89 Posts