Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on using my airbrush and I've watched a fair amount of videos. I first tried 2 thinner to 1 paint ratio, seemed like maybe not getting super even coverage. This time I tried a bit closer to 1-1, but seemed like I needed to add back some thinner. I am using Tamiya paint and Tamiya thinner. I'm finding I have to get closer to the model to get coverage - but I can't seem to fill in areas like corners no matter how close/far I am. Pics for reference - the lighter areas - and I am sure I already have too much paint on. Any suggestions are welcome.

Automotive design Hood Electric blue Automotive exterior Bumper

Gas Electric blue Composite material Rectangle Automotive design

·
Administrator
47,547 Posts
Do you know how accurate your pressure gauge is and is it the actual pressure being put out by the mechanism. How to determine that is the question though!

So learning to trust the numbers as your baseline reference is the key.

I do see some lighter spots in your photographs but without know the light source and direction cant really tell what is less paint and what is a light (flash) reflection.

As to coverage issues though. The next step is to go back closer to your 2 to 1 ratio. But did you have the same issue before? Meaning are the lighter areas still the lighter areas at closer to 1 to 1?

So having asked that what is being painted in the videos you have watched. Did any of them have the complicated corners like your piece you are painting? The compound curves? Crevices?

How many coats have you applied now?

To explain my questions to you I will eventually want to know if you are changing the orientation of your piece as you go (or the direction of your air gun) as you paint each time. You will need to turn the piece 90 degrees as you go and probably need to also change the piece orientation 90 degrees vertically as well. Adding the number of paint applications in that process as you go. So if you have only done 2 this time. Then apply 4 coats next time from different orientations. Hope this makes sense. Basically it is less paint more times!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am around 25 pressure right now. I think I read to start lighter and I increased it to see if it helped - and yes I think I have had the same issue regardless of ratio. I do get this piece has a lot of complexity. I am using a stand to move the piece around as I paint (I can rotate the stand) but I see what you are saying. I will try the 2-1 again and try to put on a couple of very thin coats, trying to use different orientations.

·
Administrator
47,547 Posts
Another aspect to consider is the design of your air brush. Can it be tilted (how far?). Can it be inverted (again how much?) If it cant then you need to turn/invert the piece being painted.

Hope you are able to find a solution.

Let us know the air brush brand and what accessories you have (neddles/nozzles) and maybe we could be more specific for you to that brand of air brush.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1. Try a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner. You appear to have the mixture reversed.

2. Make sure that you're using the correct thinner for the paint that you're using.

3. Use only Tamiya thinner with Tamiya paint - which you appear to be doing.

4. Mix it using a pipette so that you can count exactly the number of drops of each that you're using.

5. Mix it in a separate container not in the airbrush cup.

6. I airbrush at 20 psi no more than that. I use a .3mm Iwata C Plus.

7. Keep moving the model and make sure that you're painting past the kit - don't leave the airbrush stationary while spraying.

8. Continue to watch as many videos as possible and keep practising - NO FEAR!

Let us know how things work out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts