Hobbyist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks you all!

Nova, no dull coat but I probably will attempt to use a semi-gloss coat over the whole thing just to create a bit of a blend.

More pics,

These colors really do look different in every angle and light condition. Here are a few in low light. All of the pics of the engines in my previous posts were taken at night with a pretty well lit room, makes them aztecs POP!

Low light

·
Registered
131 Posts
Trek, really, really nice work there!

I have to echo another poster however and saying your planetary sensor is fantastic. You should definitely consider selling it as an add on kit. If your client wouldnt mind the time it took of course.

Again, well done!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Trek, this is simply stunning. Great work on the corrected PSA :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Beautiful!!:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing incredible details that can help everyone work on their own.
Your work is appreciated!
A couple of years ago I designed a light kit for this version but after all the parts were paid for I realized there was no way to sell it and make even a small profit. I researched the movies for proper lighting and flash patterns and constructed flasher boards to replicate everything but wow it was expensive.
Great job!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
It always makes me smile to see that people are still putting my photos to good use.

Model on, Dudes!

Phil Broad

(This is the most accurate representation of the aztec paint scheme that I've seen so far, fantastic work)

·
Registered
294 Posts
These shots are awesome. I have a couple of technical questions if you wouldn't mind clarifying:

1) What did you use for masking? I tried frisket once and it virtually melted when I sprayed rattle can lacquer over it.

2) Are there any known compatibility issues with the Watco paint? For example, spraying Model Master Acryl on top of Tamiya acrylics will cause a crackle effect...

3) Is there a big difference between the lacquer and acrylic appearance?

My thanks in advance. I appreciate you and others here taking the time to post your work and construction tips.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thank You all very much!!

The idea of molding the sensor dome had crossed my mind but I just didn;t want to get anybody's hopes up. The reason is I don't have any experiance with molding. It's a skill I'd love to become familiar with but don't have the time due to the work on the bench, the Refit model, various lighting kit orders, etc. I can say however that it is on my list of things to do. I have another sensor dome to work on so in the end if I still don't have the time to learn how to mold it myself, I'll provide the master for someone who is willing.

Phil, That means a heck of alot!! It gives me the confidence and courage I'm definitely going to need for the work on the saucer section. Your photos at Cloudster are an invaluable reference for anyone working on a Refit. I don't do any Refit work without them.

Omnimodel, Good questions!

For the engines I was going to use blue painters tape but at last minute I decided to use vinyl strips left over from Aztek Dummy sets that I accumulated since 2005...That's a lot of vinyl strips!:freak:

I never experianced any problems with Waco paints. I used Model Master acrylic semi-gloss white for the base coat and the Wasco paint works just fine over it.

I used to use Wasco pearlecsent paints (both the acrylic and the laqcer), not much difference in appearance just in the way they sprayed. The lacqer is much smoother out of the airbrush. Now I use the Wasco lacqer based irridescent paints. They are great to work with. The airbrush never clogs just like Paul Olsen said. The paints are also very smooth and prismatic but the model's surface has to be well prepared to receive them. It is also better to have a can of that lacqer solution in case you feel the need to thin the paints.

Again Thanks so much folks! I really appreciate it!:)

Here is a little quicktime demo showing some paint effects. This one shows even the off colors themselves appear and disappear.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kwgztmhzzaz

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are the WACO paints made specifically by taxidermy.com (i.e. does anyone else carry them)? The reason I ask is that I wanted to get some of these paints in Canada, but they won't ship it here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
:) OMG! The paint job you're doing is absolutly beautiful! Dumb question, how do you think those paints would do brushed on over the Polar Lights aztec decals? I thought (it might be a good idea) since the pattern is pretty much laid out for me. My hand brush skills are good (IMO) that I might pull it off. If not I sent you a PM asking another question about my next build.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks very much everyone!

Shizman PM sent,

Tardis, I haven't tried hand brushing these paints but I assume they would leave visible stroke marks because of their translucence. I'll try it out and take some pics of the results.

The new Hobby mat and polishing kit came in so I thought I'd take some photos.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A REALY nice paint job Trekmodler.

A Question, When you paint the aztec colors how many passes over a given area with a particular color do you seem to do? Does the paint seem to give you the sheen you are looking for in one spray pass or do you find multiple light passes are required?

For both the irredescent and the other WASCO paints what pressure and tip are you finding works best?

I have been trying a medum tip with their Wildlife Acrylic Iridescent paints and I am not sure if the tip is big enough.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thank You very much Marc!

If the surface is well smoothed out 2 light passes will do fine. The secondary hull port and starboard sides of the Refit model I'm working on were azteced in a very different manner than the rest of the model so I had to airbrush white between each color layer to prevent the colors from mixing up with each other. It had to be done carefully but still resulted in some recessing. The Wasco irridescent paint will not require many coats. One or two will do nicely. I'm using a paasche double action airbrush with a medium tip, It works very well with these paints. I'm also using thinner which helps out alot. These paints also come in powders for better control. http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/07/MP400.html

One more pic

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
LOL Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

Lou, PM sent.

Saucer progress now,

The planetary sensor dome is almost done. The center dome area is not yet finished. It'll receive pearls at a later time.

41 - 60 of 382 Posts